Kiki de Montparnasse

Updated July 14, 2014
1.7

Kama Carnes

Poor Management

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great clientele, fair product allowance and good discount, small company so you have the potential to learn a lot if allowed.

Cons

The brand is afraid to lose any luxury cachet that they don't want to try anything new. Very poor management. Employees are micromanaged by people who have no clue what the job entails. In an effort to not make the wrong decision - no decisions or progress is ever made.

You hire intelligent, capable people - you have to trust them to do their job or you set everyone up to fail. And please pay your employees fair wages. If you allow them to do their job, the company will earn enough to pay people fairly.

Good lingerie experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Prestigious name, nice people, can learn a lot because the company is small

Cons

Not much room for growth, uncomfortable in factories

Beautiful brand, but working there has turned me off of supporting their products ever again.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse for more than a year

Pros

great brand image, beautiful store design

Cons

Poor organization infrastructure, staff is catty, overworked, and under payed. For a luxury brand, this company has a lot of potential that it's not meeting; I was very disappointed by lack of support for great ideas because management is fragmented between too many parties.

Agree with other reviewer that there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Better communication and support of staff could lead to a much more productive and healthy work environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not my best effort...

Former Employee - Technical Design Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The shop is beautiful and the concept is original.

Cons

I interned here for a few months and I have to say, it wasn't my best effort. The design department was overwhelmed and inexperienced so I had a hard time finding things to do and often gave myself assignments in order to not seem idle.

Focus on employing more seasoned designers and giving them the support they need to thrive.

Can't speak of it without getting riled up all over again

I worked at Kiki de Montparnasse

Pros

It has the reputation in the market of being a high-end retailer, and looks good on a resume. The visual merchandising of the shop in SoHo is very well done. They have a clear voice and brand identity.

Cons

The black colour on all the walls sets the tone of the whole building. It's a vortex of negativity, where everyone is perpetually overworked, over stressed, and come to work sick because of the lack of care by senior management, and the cycle of sickness and unhappiness fills the floors of this downtown loft. The departments are severely under staffed, and any new employee is thrown in and left to their devices. No proper training is offered and the sense that people are floundering around is very evident.
    There is no sense of care or respect for their employees. This includes broken heating in parts of the office so that employees must work in their coats.

Decide who actually runs this place, there are far too many cooks in the kitchen. Have some decency for your employees, and realize a happy office is an efficient and productive one.

The Blind Leading The Blind

Current Employee - Production  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse

Pros

Reputation in the industry for being high end, New York office is located in Soho, and Clothing and/or Product Allowance for almost anything in the store.

Cons

Management's claim to Kiki being a luxury brand is a joke. They have been selling the same exact poorly made product for years, and people are starting to notice, so their reputation is going down the drain. The big wigs have no idea how to run a successful company. They throw you into their poorly run organization without the proper tools to succeed and sabotage any chance of (your and their) success. Also, some other employees have stated that management has been verbally abusive for no good reason.

Find out how to properly run your company soon before the recession gets the best of you and all of your hard working employees.

hands down, the worst company i have worked for in 10 years

Current Employee - Corporate Position  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Position in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiki de Montparnasse

Pros

well known "luxury" "fashion" brand; retail stores are beautifully designed; participate in interesting "salon" events with ability to invite family and friends

Cons

inexperienced executive management perpetuates directionless processes and thus stale product; leaders reluctant to implement standardized industry procedures to improve product quality and fit; extremely demoralizing work environment; working 4 weekends in a row is normal and expected

truly respect and support your employees instead of just talking about it

Worked for Kiki de Montparnasse? Contribute to the Community!