Kimball International

Great career choice!

Sander (Former Employee)
Danville, KY

I worked at Kimball International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work days, hours, benefits, and retirement. The people were great to work with.

ConsYou would find sometimes that some employees would slack off in your department so you would have to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all employees are not slacking and supervisors are keeping up with their departments.

The Culture is Dysfunctional

I worked at Kimball International

ProsStrong heritage, strong community and good dealer relationships

ConsThey allows bad behaving and dysfunctional leaders to stay in place for too long

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the bubble and deal with bad behavior

Professional people, dedicated to improving processes, serving customers, and developing their people.

I worked at Kimball International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOffered lots of growth and development professionally though internal and corporate trainings. Given opportunities to grow into new roles. Good group of people overall.

ConsWhile there may be development and professional growth, the advancement into new roles didn't always reap the proportional salary adjustments. To be successful, it really depends on who your manager is and if they have your back. Otherwise, good luck with raises or advancement. Work/life balance wasn't always there, again, depends on your direct manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to understand internal processes and have better communication between departments. Seek to really listen to employees when concerns are brought to your attention.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

several different ones

I have been working at Kimball International full-time for more than 10 years

Prosmostly the personal are very easy to get along with and they have an HR department that is very understanding of any issues that you might have emotionally or physically

Cons$$$ they do not give yearly raises and some of the older employees are left with lesser pay than the new hires coming in.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't forget the persons that are loyal.

Great experience

I have been working at Kimball International

ProsGreat learning environment, the other employees are amazing and help is always available to those who ask for it!

ConsSitting in a chair all day is the only con I can think of

Covering their Assets

Can't Say (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kimball International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot to much possitive to say about the company. They really seem more about the inside group then about the company or the people.

ConsYoung people with little experience are often hired over people of real experience. It creates an atmosphere where incompetent management can gain suporters. Young inexperienced people tend to go along with the program and are moldable. Experienced people won't put up with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the departments are hiring inexperienced people, it's a red flag. Consider the risk in these departments to be very high!

Oppressive

Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Kimball International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob is in Florida which has no State income taxes. That does not come close to compensating for low salaries at this company

ConsVery weak salaries and benefits package. Promise of bonuses do not come true due to cost structure caused when Kimball purchased Reptron. Long hours required of salaried staff. Equipment is old and outdated and provides difficulty when trying to meet quality requirements of the customer. This company wants to compete with the big boys (e.g. Flex, celestica, plexus, jabil, foxconn), but they never will. They can't provide the service level of the larger EMS providers so they have to work their employees like dogs to meet a lower price level. Customer base is the scraps the big players in the industry do not want.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell out to larger company

Popularity Contest

Travel (Former Employee)
French Lick, IN

I worked at Kimball International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf your charming and mindless with minimal skills you will fit right in. Smile and nod with every thing they say.

ConsThe company is a popularity contest with managers who could not tie their shoes and employees who are let go if they say anything. Perfect place if you want to live a lie and have a brown nose.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the golden parachute. I am not sure this company can be saved from what is inevitable at this point.

Rock Bottom Morale

Tampa, FL

I worked at Kimball International full-time for more than a year

ProsDont really have any Pros.

ConsMorale at this facility is at rock bottom. They haven't given raises in years, not even small cost of living raises. They give out evaluations without giving raises. Which doesnt make a whole lot of since. Employees are constantly being asked to take on more and more work without compensation to match. When it comes to Holidays they make thier empoyees who are on second shift work New Years Eve, and not let them spend time with thier families or significant other.Before Kimball Inc. took over this company, we had free coffee, now replaced by a machine that doesn't work half the time and have Ants in them some times. Ants are every where. They Dont have very good machinary to build their product. No Room for avancement. That too has been eliminated by management and HR's attitude towards employees are poor. Layoffs happen every year. They will fire you for any Reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo many chiefs and not enough Indians

The frequent changes in strategies and tactics will give you whiplash!

Jasper, IN

I have been working at Kimball International full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will be recruited with a competitive salary
It's located in a small town that can be great for young families
The parent company has a good financial position

ConsThe business units act independently and some are forced to compete head-to-head against each other.
In spite of commitments you receive at hiring as a manager, you will not likely receive the financial or personnel resources needed to even accomplish the work at a rudimentary level - so forget trying to do great work. For example, one business unit is working with 8-9 year old computers (this is not hyperbole) that cannot use current basic software like Microsoft Office.
Strategy and budget changes are frequent at some business units - strategy can change quarterly and budgets can change weekly.
For one business unit, corporate leadership freaks over one day changes in sales even though this is not a consumer nor a consumable business. It creates ongoing fear among leaders that quickly impacts employees.
Raises are non-existent. In some divisions, bonuses have not been paid for 4+ years.
While the small town of Jasper is like Mayberry, it is also difficult to be accepted as an out sider. This also applies within the company, If you are a geographic outsider, don't expect to even be asked to lunch.
There's lots of talk about balancing personal and work life. It's all talk. There are not enough human resources to achieve the required tasks in less that 50+ hours a week at any professional level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an outside evaluation of the company culture, the provision of resources to achieve the work, and the approach to strategy development and execution.

Worked for Kimball International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kimball International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kimball International CEO Jim Thyen. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Kimball International employees.