Kimball Midwest

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.8

Pat McCurdy

Pros
  • Superior american made products (in 5 reviews)

• family owned so owners were really involved in the day to day operations of the business (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • To many sales rep in the same territory (in 5 reviews)

• Non Compete they will sue anyone (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people difficult job

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the company are awesome. The products are great.

Cons

Almost 100% cold calling. Unrealistic quotas. Expected to open 100 new accounts right off the bat.

Focus more on quality of accounts and less on quantity.

Well rounded experience in many areas

Former Employee - Multiple in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Multiple in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working at Kimball is the growth. Processes are changing and improving all of the time, and it is exciting to work for a growing business.

Cons

There was really no down side to working at Kimball, there are many positive things about the work environment. This is a good place to have a career.

Continue to do what you are doing. Strive for continued growth and stick to your founding principles.

Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time

Pros

Growing company, some advancement opportunities, decent benefits, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Outdated technology, heavy workload.

All departments are affected by the growth of the company and should be staffed accordingly.

Great people and high standards has created a top tier work environment, where you can truly earn what you're worth.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and operated. An unbelievable ability to respond to the Sales field feedback. The consistency of Kimball Midwest is extremely reassuring and well welcomed after bouncing around different companies who have eliminated the sale force or have sold out. Have continuously been amazed since I came on board with the amount of wonderful people, both inside and outside, I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Cons

First six-eight months. Building your territory isn't easy, nor should it be. Stick with it and it'll pay off handsomely.

Couldn't imagine a career anywhere else!

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Thomasville, GA
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Thomasville, GA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Superior products. Excellent training and support. Continued communication between management and sales force for YOUR growth and success. This company wants you to succeed and goes above and beyond to give you the tools.

Cons

You've got to take the initiative. It's all there to be successful.

A company that supports American values and American people.

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment. Honest-to-God-great people to work with. It feels like you're working with a real family: these people seem to really care about my well-being and my success. This is something foreign to me as I have never experienced this at another company. This goes for my direct manager all the way to the top. Hard work does equal success at this company, unlike so many other companies. Great pay, good benefits, and great programs setup to help people succeed. Supports American-made products as much as possible. Awesome promotions and giveaways to help motivate the sales people.

Cons

Challenging work environment. Company doesn't give out handouts as charity. Company asks you to pay half of hotel accommodations at sales meetings. They do expect work out of the pay they give you, which is fair. Benefits could be better, but again this is due to the bad economy and rising health care costs. Need to get American-made products to 100% of the product offering. Not all employees are diehard American patriots!

The upper management should maintain their heading. Keep the company values true. Stay honest. Protect these values that bring so many great employees to the company. A company with integrity and character is hard to find, and Kimball Midwest has something special here. Keep supporting high quality, American manufacturers by carrying more and more of their products. Keep polishing the company to an even higher quality.

"The best company in the MRO field to partner with for any professional looking to have a secure future."-Gene Chase

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being family owned, and with a culture of "think BIG and act small" that exists in every facet of KM, this company allows individuals with a desire for growth to pursue their dreams with real support systems that help them achieve anything possible. Product quality, excellent service, and innovation are just three measurable areas that KM continues to provide their employees and customers with to create a positive experience.

Cons

Quite honestly, I can not think of any that come to mind.

Great Company

Current Employee - Corporate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from the office side of things is different than our Sales Force, who work from their own homes and cars in locations across 49 states, so I can only comment on that from a first-hand perspective. People care about people here, co-workers and about the Sales Force. I love the feeling of customer service that goes with the two-customer philosophy they hold - both the end-user customer and our Sales Force. There are plenty of training opportunities and they are willing to create a job for you to fit your skills if it meets with a need they have. It's a growing company so the opportunities are almost limitless if you are willing to stay with the company long-term. You build relationships with the Sales Force and coworkers alike and large meetings feel like family gatherings at times. It's important to like the people you work with as well as liking the job you're doing. I've been happy here, for the most part.

Cons

Depending on the department, the management changes and not everyone follows the review process the company sets, which can make it frustrating when it comes time for a review (every 6 months). Benefits can be expensive - especially for a family.

Consider rating management and keeping everyone to the same standards.

Smit

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good honest company, good training

Cons

High prices, hard to justify

The best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Kimball Midwest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been a sales professional for practically my entire career (25+ years), and all I can say about Kimball Midwest is that I wish I'd found them sooner. When the McCurdys (the four brothers who own the company) talk about their "two customer philosophy"--i.e., the end users of their products and their sales force--they really mean it. Not only is the support we get out of the head office exceptional, but a good salesperson's income potential here is truly UNLIMITED. On top of all that, the company culture is both a CUSTOMER-FOCUSED culture and a HAPPY CULTURE. Family is important here and the comradery one feels at the company meetings is like nothing else I've ever experienced. And the McCurdys know every salesperson's name...over 800 of us nationwide! Granted, Kimball Midwest (just like every other company on this planet, including Google where EVERYBODY wants to work it seems) is not going to be a good fit for everybody, and please think about that when you see negative comments about us here at glassdoor.com. I'll just close with this: if you truly enjoy selling (REAL selling...not just "schmoozing" and taking orders), if you CAN sell, and (most important) if you crave a sales position where you can focus on your CUSTOMERS vs. the typical corporate bunk that so many companies dish out--you'll be very happy and very successful at Kimball Midwest.

Cons

I can't really think of anything negative to say. We're not perfect...nobody is...but for a true sales pro, we're darned close!

Kimball Midwest Photos