Kimberly-Clark

Kimberly-Clark Reviews in Everett, WA

Updated Feb 7, 2014

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk

Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance(in 50 reviews)

• There is a lot of great people to learn from(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy(in 14 reviews)

• The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility(in 12 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good opportunities...until they closed our site

Manager (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsGood opportunities for growth. Started with an entry level position and moved up to management by the time the plant was closed.
    Loved the people, but not so much the corporation (see cons)
    For some, a pro would be job security--people are always going to need toilet paper. Hard to foresee a plant closure coming, though.
    At the Everett mill we had flex Fridays, which was an awesome perk, but I don't believe they do that at other mills.

ConsWorking for a big corporation, dealing their systems, the time I took to make a change (lots of red tape).
    SAP--not user friendly and their system of choice.
    The 360 review process and managers being forced to put certain percentages of employees in box 1-9. If a manager isn't well spoken and able to fight for employees, or if their is favoritism or office politics going on, this is a poor way to evaluate performance.
    Then there's the obvious--the fact that it's ultimately about the bottom line and if they need to close a site to keep profits growing, they're going to make that business decision. Can't say I blame them, but next time around I'd like to work somewhere where the employees and customers come first.
    They still enforce a dress code, or at least they did as recently as 2012. They should get with the times. Take a look at the culture of companies like Amazon.com, Microsoft, Expedia and see what they are doing in big and small ways (like casual dress being allowed) to make the job more enjoyable for their employees.

Great place to work until they closed the mill.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsGood wages and benefits, emphasis on safety in the mill, good people to work with. The company likes to hire recent college grads and does provide internships/coop experience.

ConsKimberly-Clark closed the Everett mill site in April of 2012, putting 750 people out of work. They are rumored to be closing more sites in the future.

Local managers are good but often hampered by direction from corporate headquarters.

24/7 operation hard on family life.

No help from the corporation in finding work at other KC mills when the Everett mill closed.

If you are a salaried employee, you can not move up in the company unless you relocate to other locations around the country. Hourly (union) employees can not move up out of production jobs without a degree.

Let down

Electrician (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsGreat people to work with and learn from. place offered a variety of challenges to keep a pulp and paper mill running.

Consmanagers were some of the worst. no real experience in making paper or maintaining a mill. just a bunch of kids out of college trying to get a big company name on there resume. Lots of confusion with in the management structure and high turn over. When they closed the mill upper management lied to its employees and said they were 2years out from closing. turn out to be 12 months or less for sum

Advice to Senior Managementcant give any to them.. they already know it all.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Plants closing down

Manufacturing Team Member (Former Employee) Everett, WA

Proswas really good pay for the area

ConsPlants closing, Manufacturing co that doesn't like to manufacture any more

Advice to Senior Managementthink about future needs and logistics

Mill was closed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe 12 hr shifts could be grueling. However the days off were nice to allow for good family time. Coworkers became an extended family.

ConsMedical and dental left a lot to be desired. Some management that would come in had no knowledge of the job at hand. Rarely did you see management on the production floor. Sick leave was not heard of. Even if you were admitted to a hospital, a Dr. Note did not constitute as a excused absence.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo a bare minimum, management should atleast step foot on the production floor to gain understanding into what the employees jobs consist of. It would have been nice to have positive feedback on occasion. However, it was always negative. That does nothing to morale. In fact it has the opposite result. The mill closure was under a dark vail that seemed to be miss-truths. Why close a mill that was making money? Management should have an ounce of being a people person. This was extremely rare. I worked for this company for 20+ yrs and it was probably the best hint to happen to me, in regards to the mill closure.

Two words "Corporate Greed"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Everett, WA

Prospay and benefits although benefits are on a serious decline.

ConsThey wont hesitate to throw employees away like garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont let your corporate greed affect decisions!!!

Disappointing

Engineer (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsStrong financial position. Fairly secure

ConsNot focused on American markets. Better to seek employment from Clearwater or another company that is investing in its American Manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than closing your assets cut down on the size of your corporate collosus. If Clearwater can make a great profit with only American assets why can't you?

Instrument Techs Rock

E/I Tech (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsUnlimited OT, I work about 600 to 800 per year, I know of people working 3000 to 3200 Hrs per year. If you are a go getter should be OK, be ready to work OT new guys usually get "Forced" to work.

ConsToo many superviser, very top heavy. The ratio is 6 to 1. It is hard to remeber who tom talk to depending where you are in the mill. Very little training for newer employees, alot of promises when you get hired, Hrly rate is low for the area, Oil Refineries in the Area pay more per Hr and get better Bennys,

Advice to Senior ManagementGive praise to your workers, acknowledge the good ones, the people getting dirty. Very little feed back on work done too many supervisors, trying to go too many directions.

hit or miss

Process Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThey have many different locations, so you can find one near where you want to live. They also offer a 9/80 schedule. It's super nice to get every other Friday off. You get to dress fairly casual, mainly khakis and polos.

ConsThe Everett location is not well organized. The engineers are overworked. Many of the operators seems unmotivated. It may depends on where you work in the mill, it a very large location. There is no cafeteria, however. There also is no common lunch room, so it's hard to connect with co-workers outside of your area of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback to employees is crucial, especially when training new engineers.

"Become Your Best You" at Kimberly-Clark

Project/Environmental Technician (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsInteraction with Engineers and all Employees is an open book. The Company truely respects all ideas and offers feedback regularly. Someone qualified will help and guide you through any project at any level at any time.

Consshift work, older site, needs more updating, the Company is fully aware

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it foremost that all management dealing with hourly let hourly know how important and vital to the success of the Company. Move the engineers out of their offices and on the shop floor at least 75% of the time. They need to be on those machines and not their computers much, much more often. Trouble shooting paper machines does not usually happen from a computer. The paper machines are all needed now machines. Follow up reports are important, but are always after the fact.

Worked for Kimberly-Clark? Contribute to the Community!