Kimberly-Clark

Updated November 24, 2014
3.7

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk
Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Great people - good culture - people treat each other respectfully (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility (in 15 reviews)

• Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Good Company to Work For

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great company culture with genuine people
    -Flexible work arrangements/work-life balance is good - 9x9 Schedule (every other Friday off), opportunity to buy a week of extra vacation (for one week's pay...)
    -Career Development - lot of opportunity for continued education and cross-functional career opportunities

Cons

-All roads lead to Neenah, WI - lots of turnover with younger employees
    -Annual merit raises are somewhat of a joke. Don't expect much unless you are senior leadership
    -Promotions are based on popularity rather than performance
    -Pay is average - market based compensation meaning positions are grouped into grade levels and each grade level has a minimum and maximum salary range

Logistics Co-Op

Current Employee - Logistics Co-op in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Logistics Co-op in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Competitive hourly pay
    -Opportunity for 1.5x pay overtime
    -Entry-level responsibility
    -Significant education/experience

Cons

-Lack of structure in certain positions
    -A lot of meetings
    -Some "problem solving" is fruitless

Be sure all positions have a good outline of responsibilities and lock down the training process further

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as a contractor

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to work to gain experience. But, its something that you can't move forward and ahead if you are a contractor. There is a lot of people that are willing to help you. There is a great attitude at the company. Management is flexible and open to most ideas.

Cons

Unless your in the union, your thoughts done really matter.There is little room to grow and advance if you are a contractor. A contractor has limited privileges. Many people are willing or ready to retire so there is going to be a lot of turnover for the next couple of years.

Understand how important IT is to the company. Realize that a full-time IT person is vital to any company especially on site support.

Career rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Maintenance Consultant in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Consultant in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working here has enabled me to grow in terms of experience and knowledge.

Cons

Work-life balance hasn't been well. I spend a lot of hours at work. On the plus side... my boss is pretty good about comp time. 60%ish

Back off on implimenting soo many software programs requiring daily attention. It doesn't allow people to work through their core work to 100% capbilities.

I WORKED at Kimberly-Clark for about three years at Conway, AR Mill as KnB Op. (Not Irving, TX)

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for mostly easy labor. Off every other Fri/Sat/Sun and they pay double time on Sundays. Most people pretty laid back and respect other's space. I was proud to be a K-C'er. Felt like I had it made. K-C's safety standards and product quality thresholds are no doubt industry leading.

Cons

Training only covers basics like loading materials and fixing simple problems. I didn't actually learn how to REALLY run a line for at least another year b/c every line I worked runs different. The machines are out dated. Nepautism runs rampit; my boss was 21 when he got promoted over applicants who over qualified. To me, it seemed like ops who showed up to do his/her job right were treated with less respect than those who goofed off all night. The "Good-ole boy" system is definetly in affect here. I I felt relieved when I had the oppurtunity to get out of that place!

Communication between different shift teams was a problem my entire time at KC. Teamwork is NOT a common occurance even between ops on the same line. Asset leaders should encourage ops to discuss any problem directly to the asset leader.

Layoffs Again?

Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and some of the people I have worked with are terrific.
    Can be very challenging at times, but work/life balance does take a beating.

Cons

Company continues to downsize every 3 to 5 years making advancement impossible.
    Compensation continues to be below going rates and annual raises even for top performers can be at or below 2%.
    Keeps increasing employee health care costs every year which wipes out any merit raise.

Overall good experience.

I worked at Kimberly-Clark

Pros

Very strong brands help this company stay competitive. International growth prospect weak in Asia, Mediocre results in Europe and good progress in Latin America. Plenty of resources with excess cash used for shares buybacks (i.e., not able to invest in profitable business growth/expansion).

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. Too much politics surround every decision and too much focus is placed on "check the box" accomplishments. Too slow to market. Not much entrepreneurship. Too bureaucratic.

More practicing what you preach. become more agile. Promote more entrepreneurship and merit based people development.

Electrical Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Kimberly Clark is a very mellow company. Everyone was very nice and encourage growth. Also, if 40 hours were achieved during a week employees were allowed to leave early on Fridays during summers.

Cons

The work load was not very challenge for an intern. There was a lot of busy work or unwanted work was given to the Interns.

Sounded great until change occurs.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part. Benefits are good (those that you are able to use).

Cons

Disorganization and constant change of direction resulted in shifting priorities, confusion, and no opportunities for professional development or growth within the company. Training received was of little value.

Culture is not shifting, Have middle management follow through with the "Culture" and practice what is preached. People talk a lot but never act or follow through.

HR Leader

I worked at Kimberly-Clark (more than 5 years)

Pros

A strong culture of high performance with very capable talent. Has made great strides in building and inviting diversity into organization, including at senior levels. Has transformed from an internally focused culture to one of market driven and customer driven.

Cons

Work life balance is very difficult to achieve especially as you rise in organization, although company strongly encourages balance. A bit of a paradox. Also a high relationship company where relationships truly matter to getting things done.

Continue to demonstrate value for diverse thinking and become a company where millennials will want to work. Continue to growth employer brand.