Kimberly-Clark

Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk
Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Great people - good culture - people treat each other respectfully (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility (in 15 reviews)

• Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I WORKED at Kimberly-Clark for about three years at Conway, AR Mill as KnB Op. (Not Irving, TX)

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for mostly easy labor. Off every other Fri/Sat/Sun and they pay double time on Sundays. Most people pretty laid back and respect other's space. I was proud to be a K-C'er. Felt like I had it made. K-C's safety standards and product quality thresholds are no doubt industry leading.

Cons

Training only covers basics like loading materials and fixing simple problems. I didn't actually learn how to REALLY run a line for at least another year b/c every line I worked runs different. The machines are out dated. Nepautism runs rampit; my boss was 21 when he got promoted over applicants who over qualified. To me, it seemed like ops who showed up to do his/her job right were treated with less respect than those who goofed off all night. The "Good-ole boy" system is definetly in affect here. I I felt relieved when I had the oppurtunity to get out of that place!

Communication between different shift teams was a problem my entire time at KC. Teamwork is NOT a common occurance even between ops on the same line. Asset leaders should encourage ops to discuss any problem directly to the asset leader.

Layoffs Again?

Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and some of the people I have worked with are terrific.
    Can be very challenging at times, but work/life balance does take a beating.

Cons

Company continues to downsize every 3 to 5 years making advancement impossible.
    Compensation continues to be below going rates and annual raises even for top performers can be at or below 2%.
    Keeps increasing employee health care costs every year which wipes out any merit raise.

Overall good experience.

I worked at Kimberly-Clark

Pros

Very strong brands help this company stay competitive. International growth prospect weak in Asia, Mediocre results in Europe and good progress in Latin America. Plenty of resources with excess cash used for shares buybacks (i.e., not able to invest in profitable business growth/expansion).

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. Too much politics surround every decision and too much focus is placed on "check the box" accomplishments. Too slow to market. Not much entrepreneurship. Too bureaucratic.

More practicing what you preach. become more agile. Promote more entrepreneurship and merit based people development.

Electrical Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Coop in Jenks, OK

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Kimberly Clark is a very mellow company. Everyone was very nice and encourage growth. Also, if 40 hours were achieved during a week employees were allowed to leave early on Fridays during summers.

Cons

The work load was not very challenge for an intern. There was a lot of busy work or unwanted work was given to the Interns.

Sounded great until change occurs.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part. Benefits are good (those that you are able to use).

Cons

Disorganization and constant change of direction resulted in shifting priorities, confusion, and no opportunities for professional development or growth within the company. Training received was of little value.

Culture is not shifting, Have middle management follow through with the "Culture" and practice what is preached. People talk a lot but never act or follow through.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Operator in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

KC really focuses on a safe work environment and has an excellent livewell program. There are many chances to get free product through safety drawings or safety milestones. There is usually some sort of livewell program going on to help improve your lifestyle. The schedule allows for days off during the week and allows you to have 3-4 days off each week in most cases (some overtime is required occasionally). There are a lot of opportunities to gain knowledge in different areas, but many jobs are temporary (then you go back to being an operator).

Cons

The schedule is rotating shifts which can get hard.

Amazing experience, people

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Roswell, GA

I worked at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People were really friendly, great consumer-product goods company, high value and volume, and work-life balance was amazing with summer hours. Compensation was in line with what was expected. Great boss, lots of opportunities! Very results driven, learned a lot in my time here, great manager.

Cons

May be overlooked because the organization is so big. Wasn't sure about inner promotion, seemed to favor hiring from the outside for upper-level positions. Ultimately though, nothing too bad. Very very structured in terms of departments and processes seem to be standardized for the most part, not too much innovation.

Great Place to work for Internship

Former Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Ogden, UT

I worked at Kimberly-Clark as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had projects ready for you upon starting
    Relaxed work environment

Cons

Focused on interns more at corporate office than in mills

Well run organization overall from top to bottom. I recommend KC for a strong detailed orientated individual.

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time

Pros

Lots of room to grow, places to see. KC has everything from Finance, IT, Production and others. They are not afraid to move you from one organization to another. I went from IT to Production Planning and loved it.

Cons

Still a bit of a "old boys" mentality in some organizations, however overall this is minimal. Tough to get in the door as well.

Truly fantastic company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Kimberly-Clark as an intern

Pros

They very much value their employees and are actively working to make it a positive and innovative environment. Very much promoted work life balance.

Cons

Decision making can take awhile