Kimco Realty

Updated December 12, 2014

David B. Henry

Great place to learn

I have been working at Kimco Realty

Pros

I learned a lot while working for here and the people were very nice.

Cons

There was not enough work to keeps busy.

Great place to work with a strong entrepreneurial culture

Current Employee - Leasing
    Current Employee - Leasing

I have been working at Kimco Realty full-time

Pros

A very supportive culture with great people, which makes the everyday that much more enjoyable. There is a strong emphasis on teamwork and management always encourages the suggestion of new ideas to improve day to day operations.

Cons

Not much to say here. It's a wonderful and stimulating place to work, they promote from within and the size of the portfolio ensures that you are always faced with new opportunities.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Kimco Realty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the company and staff. Great place to work.

Cons

There should be systems in place that everyone has to follow, including Management.

During recent cuts, positions were eliminated. In the future Company should consider eliminating those employees that are costing them money by lack of productivity. Especially those that are in management or those with obvious issues that should be addressed to ensure the moral of the office. Ignoring issues, while letting go of those that are an asset, will eventually cause a large concern.

Director of Real Estate

I have been working at Kimco Realty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with great benefits! Stable company with little politicking.

Cons

Difficult to advance to senior management.

Lessen the burden on Property Managers.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Accountant
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant

I have been working at Kimco Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary and office environment. The bonuses are ok according to performance. Is an international company with operations in Mexico y South America.

Cons

Not good opportunities to grow, the accounting system is simple and hard to work with partners to get information for qtr closing.

This has been the best atomosphere I've ever had the pleasure to work in

I have been working at Kimco Realty full-time

Pros

Professional co-workers, modern technology, well stocked with supplies and equipment, coffee and bagels, staff appreciation events

Cons

Paper work heavy, too many people involved in every transaction, new hires start as temps and wait months, years to be hired with benefits.

Create a pipeline of future managers by having assistants for each position, training to become upper level.

I wasted over a year of my life working here...

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Kimco Realty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bragging rights to say you work for a publicly traded company. My annual bonus was 7.5% of my salary which is better than average. They pay 90% of employee health insurance and it is a good plan.

Cons

Pay is below industry standard. Work load is unrealistic. As a PM you are responsible for 12 shopping centers. This should be a team of 5, but they expect one person to do it all with one (low paid) assistant. They expect you to use the company issued Blackberry (yuk!) and be on call 24-7. Tenants hate Kimco because there is no customer service. Tenants call and yell at you because they are frustrated and upset. I never received an annual employee review, no increase in salary, no possibility to move up the ladder, no mentors. When you get hired, they say they reimburse for education, but my manager refused to authorize reimbursement for a work related class. If you get a "title change" there is no pay with the increase in work load. The computer data systems are antiquated. Nothing is linked together. You have to look 5 places for information to fill out a form. The systems and procedures bog you down from doing your job. If you make a mistake there is someone from the Corporate office who will call and yell at you and make you feel terrible. Why this rude person still works for Kimco is unacceptable! I found Kimco to be a negative environment where people were burned out and/ or not happy.

Need positive roll models, a mentor program and healthy environment so people can learn and advance job responsibilities. Need to be recognized for being an outstanding employee with an annual review and a bonus. Need constructive feedback on job performance. Pay needs to reflect the cost of living where your office is located.

Terrible Work Enviornment

Former Employee - Property Management Department in New Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Property Management Department in New Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Kimco Realty full-time

Pros

Great benefits package and bagels on Friday morning.

Cons

The department was micromanaged and moral was low. They are hiring people with little to no experience to run large portfolios thus putting a strain on the entire department. You would think a large publically traded company would hire people that have many years of experience to manage their assets and mentor property management assistants. Upper management uses the support staff as scapegoats.

Hire experienced managers

Vista, CA office is a nice place to work

Former Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary Administrative Assistant in Vista, CA

I worked at Kimco Realty as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a temporary administrative worker, I was given direction and support as well as independence to do my work. The staff is professional and friendly. Upper management is accessible and recognizes your performance. The female staff have bonded through lunchtime on-site yoga classes. Keurig coffeemaker with a variety of tea & coffees is a nice perk.

Cons

Could use more computer equipment. Heavy amounts of paperwork to be processed.

See if you can streamline the paperwork and get more IT equipment on site.

Brutal !!!!

Former Employee - Property Manager Assistant in New Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Property Manager Assistant in New Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Kimco Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee and good benefits. There really aren't many pros that I can currently think of. I am sure the company overall isn't that bad however the department where I was, really needs a drastic change.

Cons

No morale, micromanagers, not a team building environment at all. Lack of support for someone who is new, Co-workers love throwing you under the bus, Lack of creativity (at least in the department I was in.) You are just another robot who really doesn't have much of a say.

Take a good look at other successful companies and