Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Reset
4.6
Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • Profit sharing is very generous (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• You need to bring your "A" game to work every day because expectations are high here (in 13 reviews)

1. A Fantastic Place to Work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

Cons

Expectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

Good Benefits and Bonuses

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good at Kimley-Horn. Nothing to change there. They offer every employee an annual bonus, with bonus amount based on your performance.

Cons

Great ability to grow and move up in this company if you're an engineer. Harder to grow and move up for those that are not engineers.

Advice to Management

Be sure to take care of and provide opportunities to all employees, regardless of their role within the company, even if they aren't the ones winning work. .

3. Exemplary place. I do not know why everyone does not work here.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great values and high integrity. High level of care for employees. Promotions and benefits cannot be matched by any other engineering company. The employees are top notch and very competent. Management is in tune with employees needs and shows a high level of care. The company is led by practice and has a very flat organization. The practice philosophy and focus is a big plus for the firm. The freedom of doing what you enjoy and continuing to grow within the firm is one of the main separators.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great environment.

5. Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The structure and the culture are all about being an entrepreneur. If you're looking for professional opportunities and rewards - there's no better place.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone - it can be a demanding profession. Clients are budget and schedule driven - and competition is fierce - this can create tensions that have to be balanced.

Advice to Management

Keep us externally focused - this business is all about serving clients. We're growing - let's keep the bar high for new staff.

6. I work with the best professionals in the business

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Getting to work everyday with professional, like minded colleagues who are all as driven for success as I am. Collaborating daily across the office, region and firm to help my partners be successful. Kimley-Horn has never failed to meet or exceed my expectations. Looking forward to retiring in 15+ years with a retirement package that will be unmatched in the industry. Culture is consistent across the firm. Strength in the diversity of the firm and it's one profit center. We work on some of the coolest projects with some of the best clients in Arizona.

Cons

Kimley-Horn attracts very talented and driven employees. Everyone strives to be as good or better than their peers. We expect the best out of ourselves and our staff and treat every project as if it was our own. While some weeks this is a 9-5 job, we do what we have to do to ensure our clients success.

7. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture promoted within which gives you the tools to choose your own career path and work on things you are passionate about.

Cons

It is an extra effort firm, so sometimes there are long hours, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

8. I've been here 14 years and love it!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I've worked at other engineering companies and Kimley-Horn is the best - great benefits, bonuses, career advancement, client interaction. The retirement benefits are amazing! Other consulting firms that I worked for early in my career had similar work environments, but without the perks. Plus I love the people I work with, we have a great team and everyone gets alone so well.

Cons

It's a consulting firm - so when there are deadlines you work extra hours to meet them. But I guess if you want to work 9-5 you should be a banker or work for the government. Kimley-Horn is a great place for motivated, self-starter types because they reward high achievers.

9. I wouldn't work anywhere else.

Current Employee - Practice Builder in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Self-directed career opportunities, the Practice Builder model allows me to identify and pursue projects that I have a passion for. I'm not just sitting at my desk waiting for someone else in the firm to tell me what I'm working on. The people are awesome, everyone is working for the common goal, serving our clients. Benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Kimley-Horn is not for everyone, but if you want to be pro-active in your career, and you like to serve clients and do cool projects, and work with folks who are driven, there can't be a better place.

10. Wish I would have joined Kimley-Horn sooner in my career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

We work hard but are rewarded very well. Great people to work with. Communication on the financial success of the firm it an open book. Strong year end bonuses. Even during the lean years when other firms were shutting down, our staff still received bonuses. GENEROUS 401K plan. To me, this is a long term commitment. You could call me a Kimley-Horn cheerleader!

Cons

On the business ladder, promotions are very slow in coming. Much slower than on the engineering side of the company. I know this is an engineering firm and those are the people that pay our bills, but recognizing folks in HR, IS, Marketing, and Accounting is equally as important. Long term employees in these areas provide a depth of client service that is important to practice.

Advice to Management

Regional leadership teams function differently from region to region. Some are more involved in every day to day decision while others reach out to partners to make decisions. They are regional leaders not regional managers.

competitive

Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Excellent coworkers, interesting and challenging projects, and generous profit sharing (when business is good).

Cons

Long hours is the norm, and the pressure to always be billable can create stress. The company is very focused on the bottom line, so expect layoffs when business is slow.

Advice to Management

Grow smartly instead of greedily.

RSS Feed </> Embed