Kimley-Horn and Associates

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions(in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high(in 11 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Vice President (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOpportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

ConsExpectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

Wish I would have joined Kimley-Horn sooner in my career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWe work hard but are rewarded very well. Great people to work with. Communication on the financial success of the firm it an open book. Strong year end bonuses. Even during the lean years when other firms were shutting down, our staff still received bonuses. GENEROUS 401K plan. To me, this is a long term commitment. You could call me a Kimley-Horn cheerleader!

ConsOn the business ladder, promotions are very slow in coming. Much slower than on the engineering side of the company. I know this is an engineering firm and those are the people that pay our bills, but recognizing folks in HR, IS, Marketing, and Accounting is equally as important. Long term employees in these areas provide a depth of client service that is important to practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional leadership teams function differently from region to region. Some are more involved in every day to day decision while others reach out to partners to make decisions. They are regional leaders not regional managers.

Exemplary place. I do not know why everyone does not work here.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat values and high integrity. High level of care for employees. Promotions and benefits cannot be matched by any other engineering company. The employees are top notch and very competent. Management is in tune with employees needs and shows a high level of care. The company is led by practice and has a very flat organization. The practice philosophy and focus is a big plus for the firm. The freedom of doing what you enjoy and continuing to grow within the firm is one of the main separators.

ConsI cant think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work!

Senior Professional (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe structure and the culture are all about being an entrepreneur. If you're looking for professional opportunities and rewards - there's no better place.

ConsConsulting isn't for everyone - it can be a demanding profession. Clients are budget and schedule driven - and competition is fierce - this can create tensions that have to be balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us externally focused - this business is all about serving clients. We're growing - let's keep the bar high for new staff.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEntrepreneurial culture promoted within which gives you the tools to choose your own career path and work on things you are passionate about.

ConsIt is an extra effort firm, so sometimes there are long hours, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I've been here 14 years and love it!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI've worked at other engineering companies and Kimley-Horn is the best - great benefits, bonuses, career advancement, client interaction. The retirement benefits are amazing! Other consulting firms that I worked for early in my career had similar work environments, but without the perks. Plus I love the people I work with, we have a great team and everyone gets alone so well.

ConsIt's a consulting firm - so when there are deadlines you work extra hours to meet them. But I guess if you want to work 9-5 you should be a banker or work for the government. Kimley-Horn is a great place for motivated, self-starter types because they reward high achievers.

I wouldn't work anywhere else.

Practice Builder (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsSelf-directed career opportunities, the Practice Builder model allows me to identify and pursue projects that I have a passion for. I'm not just sitting at my desk waiting for someone else in the firm to tell me what I'm working on. The people are awesome, everyone is working for the common goal, serving our clients. Benefits are outstanding.

ConsKimley-Horn is not for everyone, but if you want to be pro-active in your career, and you like to serve clients and do cool projects, and work with folks who are driven, there can't be a better place.

I work with the best professionals in the business

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGetting to work everyday with professional, like minded colleagues who are all as driven for success as I am. Collaborating daily across the office, region and firm to help my partners be successful. Kimley-Horn has never failed to meet or exceed my expectations. Looking forward to retiring in 15+ years with a retirement package that will be unmatched in the industry. Culture is consistent across the firm. Strength in the diversity of the firm and it's one profit center. We work on some of the coolest projects with some of the best clients in Arizona.

ConsKimley-Horn attracts very talented and driven employees. Everyone strives to be as good or better than their peers. We expect the best out of ourselves and our staff and treat every project as if it was our own. While some weeks this is a 9-5 job, we do what we have to do to ensure our clients success.

competitive

Analyst (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsExcellent coworkers, interesting and challenging projects, and generous profit sharing (when business is good).

ConsLong hours is the norm, and the pressure to always be billable can create stress. The company is very focused on the bottom line, so expect layoffs when business is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow smartly instead of greedily.

Challenging but great place to work.

Project Manager P5 (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat Profit Sharing Plan. Good training opportunities.

ConsLots of focus on billable hours, hard to advance. Laid off a lot of people during recession to stay profitable. Lots of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!