Kimley-Horn and Associates

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Kimley-Horn is a great company - fun culture - great perks - awesome bonus program!

ProsThere's something uniquely different about Kimley-Horn in the way you are treated, accepted, and given the opportunity to expand your career in a short amount of time. It's a family atmosphere - everyone looks out for each other and helps to groom your success.

ConsNot many opportunities for strictly technical engineering professionals. You will be more successful if you enjoy working with clients, interacting with a team, and wanting to win project work over time. If you like to work "in a cave" at a computer all day without interacting with others, this is probably not the right firm for you.

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Vice President (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOpportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

ConsExpectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

The place I want to retire!

ProsThe opportunities for career growth, recognition, rewards, benefits are truly at the top of the industry...the culture of helping others and sharing work contributes to the success of the firm

ConsThis firm is not meant for everyone - to be successful here, you must be committed to extra effort, selfless partnership, and exceeding aggressive goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need to be the right type of person

Engineering Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsReally great people to work with. Lots of opportunity to get involved in groups--i.e. young professionals, women professionals, etc. Opportunities to succeed if driven to.

ConsThey talk a lot about work-life balance, but it's very difficult to do here, especially if you have children. Expect to work very long hours. They also seem to want very dominant-type personalities working here, not so much introverted types.

Great environment for success!

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe best engineering firm to work for. Great people.
    Smart management with practical approach to running the business.
    No bureaucracies. Flat organization focused on roles and responsibilities vs. titles
    Great rewards. Team/family environment.

ConsNone that I can think of. The company emphasizes business fundamentals and exceptional client service which sometimes may appear to conflict with work /life balance.

Fantastic place to work!!

ProsThe people at Kimley-Horn are top notch. In my over 11 year tenure at Kimley-Horn, I haven't met a person I didn't like. If you don't like the people you work with, you'll be miserable and that has not been my experience at all. There are also plenty of perks and benefits that go a long way to making it an even better place to work. They aren't afraid to share the success of the firm with everyone.

ConsIt takes hard work and dedication to be successful serving clients. It can be very demanding and requires a delicate balance of work and life.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

The Perfect Career

ProsLeadership is promoted through everyone as each individual is building their own client base, promoting the career growth of younger partners, and professionally practicing engineering/planning/landscape architecture/or their respective profession. The firm supports practitioners to build clients/projects while satisfying the core values of the firm.

ConsThe sky's the limit on entrepreneurialism - the fun of the career here can be addicting - you need to keep this in check for balanced personal/work proportioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the model of transition and recognition - it's extremely rewarding, promoting, and secure - all the elements needed for a healthy career.

You will be as successful as you are willing to be.

ProsThe true value of the company is found in all the benefits outside of salary, such as bonuses, insurance, profit sharing, and a sharing office culture. The more you contribute, the more you receive. Most are given the freedom and encouragement to explore new and better ways to further their career and the success and profits of the firm.

ConsThe culture and environment make work-life balance a challenge. The flat organization is not good for someone who places great importance on titles. The consensus building process to make decisions can be slow and frustrating.

I own my practice and part of the firm; no ceilings encountered to either; worthy place to spend a career.

Vice President (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSupport to building a practice and career is strong and without boundaries; excellent benefits; top professionals at all levels. On the job training is an everyday occurrence.

ConsIntegration when coming in from another firm and learning the unstructured culture can be tough to believe initially. (It is that unstructured and open.)

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain practice led.

A great place to build a career.

Senior Professional (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe talent level of the staff is unmatched. Regardless of discipline or which team you are part of there are smart people ready and willing to partner together to handle whatever comes along. One of the biggest strengths is that fact that every discussion starts by considering what is right for client. The company works hard to be sure that opportunity and compensation are available to all the staff.

This is a really good business, run by people who are always thinking ahead and planning for what is around the next bend.

ConsFirst it is consulting. It's not for wimps. Perhaps not a negative but an important distinction - employees have to be willing to grow themselves. No company can do that for you. Team members will be challenged professionally, but they have to be supportive of peers in the process. Expectations are high, because the clients have high expectations for successful projects. There are lots of ways to measure success and achievement against goals at Kimley-Horn. To be successful you have to learn how those goals relate to each other and understand they are intentionally balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate decisions transparently. Continue the company's history of being owned by practicing professionals and sharing profits with all of the employees. Continue to teach the company's culture to incoming employees.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!