Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Reset
4.6
Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • Profit sharing is very generous (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• You need to bring your "A" game to work every day because expectations are high here (in 13 reviews)

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Random Bonuses, Easy Career Development, Approachable Seniors

Cons

Expected Overtime for Salary, Varying Manager Styles

Advice to Management

None

2. Landscape Architect

Pros

Diversity in projects and multi-disciplinary interaction

Cons

Long hours, challenge to work-life balance

Company within a company

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with many resources, however you are not just a "number." The opportunity is there to create your own team which then is like your own company but with the backing of a large company.

Cons

This company is not for everyone, must be driven and a "people person" it is up to each individual to work on their work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching out to the employees to gather feedback on work-life balance, keep striving to retain women after they have kids.

good company

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Very talened people with excellent work ethic and high standards for quality.

Cons

Demanding hours, overtime is expected.

Advice to Management

No comment

6. Intern - Landscape Architecture

Current Intern - Landscape Architecture in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Landscape Architecture in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates as an intern

Pros

Kimley-Horn is very supportive of interns. I really feel as if they try and invest in the younger members of the firm.

Cons

Sometimes the company can focus too heavily on profit margin and does not leave a little wiggle room for creativity. The projects that the Landscape Architects work on are not anything special.

Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work is available at this company and they are very good at getting more work

Cons

The company pays well and this means that you will be expected to work a lot, work life balance may become difficult

Advice to Management

You can offer people lower salaries and still get great talent.

Great Place to Work

Pros

If you want a career this is the place to be.

Cons

Not a place for people who feel entitled.

Minorities Be Alert

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

The training resources are really good. Coworkers are generally good hearted people. The work forces you to grow yourself and gain a plethora of experience in a short period of time.

Cons

Definitely a predominantly majority workforce. I am a minority and the upper management supervisors have treated me like a subpar engineering intern even though I am a full-time employee. They have delegated more work to other employees including interns; have had several review meetings with me trying to justify keeping me hourly; and have flat out told bold faced lies about not having enough work to pass around to me. Definitely feel like I was hired to meet some quota as I am part of the 4 % of minorities in the entire office. Make sure before you accept an offer that you visit the office and see the demographics because this firm will not be straight up front with you and there motives. Hindsight is 20 20 but if you have a choice between this firm and others choose the others.

Advice to Management

There really is no advice because as evidence by the demographics this culture is not going to change. Eventually developers will start to want to see diversity in the team resumes as our culture evolves and this company will see a drastic downturn.

10. Analyst Review

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Entrepreneurial environment. Your only limits are your own ambitions or amount of time!

Cons

The company will take as much time and effort as you will give to it. You have to draw hard lines and make it clear when you need to go home or you will end up there a lot.

Great Place to Learn, Grow and Flourish

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

I hate buzzwords, I really do. But Kimley-Horn has proven to be everything they told me it would be. You will work hard, you will be depended on, and you will be compensated for your efforts. You can learn a lot in a very short amount of time largely because you have the opportunity to get involved in a variety of projects. Not to mention, the benefits are incredible.

Cons

You will work long hours, and its up to you to find a work-life balance. The UT goal is a hot topic around the office because yes, it's a hard goal to meet, but it's how the company stays profitable and offers the benefits that we do. It's also how you will grow quickly. The people who last here take pride in what they do and put a lot of emphasis on doing quality work.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team. Young analysts are eager to learn and to improve on our skills. Tell them what your expectations are, and if they're not meeting them, provide constructive criticism.

RSS Feed </> Embed