Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Reset
2.0
Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • Profit sharing is very generous (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• You need to bring your "A" game to work every day because expectations are high here (in 13 reviews)

civil engineering intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good place for an internship - you get your feet wet, learn a lot about industry, and they won't treat you like "just an intern." My office was friendly, and I gained some valuable experience.

Cons

I had not been planning on writing a review of KHA as my internship seemed pretty average - nothing really notable. Then today I just happened to notice them on Glassdoor and saw that they had a rating of 4.7/5. I could have sworn they were about a 3 last year when I left, and that seemed about right. Definitely some problems with management, lack of respect for lower level employees, terrible hours, but interesting and fun projects and decent compensation. But a 4.7? No way. I read some reviews until I found one that pointed me to the "rating trends" section. Apparently around April of last year KHA turned from a typical consulting firm into the best company ever. I'm writing a review just to call them out on that. It is clearly BS, What that means is that 1) someone had the idea to try to artificially improve their ratings on a random website, 2) someone somehow decided that was a good idea and a worthwhile use of time (clearly charged to a project to boost that UT) and 3) someone (or maybe many people, hard to tell) carried it out and followed through with it. That's deceitful and pathetic. Though honestly it doesn't surprise me given what I saw from management when I was there.

They will keep you working with promises of grandeur.

Current Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience, 401k, and occasional free lunch.

Cons

The company is not up front with the pay scale. New hires are brought in at a P-0, which is hourly. After your 3 month interview, you get a $500 yearly raise and are moved to a salary system. Negotiate your py up front. They won't change it later. Also plan on rediculous "UT" goals. (Hours billed to a project vs admin hours). They say 96% or less depending on your p scale. They expect +120% . Also plan on way over 50 hours a week (no overtime). The last few months have been over 60. You NEVER know when you get to go home. This makes having a personal life very difficult. The employee turnaround is also very high.

Advice to Management

Enforceme your company working hours. Extra effort is good, but you are killing g your reputation.

Jul 7, 2015 – Team Member

We aim to keep our hiring process very transparent, including information on salary, benefits, and our culture. The consulting business is challenging, and we believe going the extra mile sets us ... More

Learned a lot but wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overworked!

Former Employee - Landscape Architect Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Landscape Architect Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to collaborate with many different professionals. Compensation was decent and the work environment was conducive. Lots of opportunities to meet people and do fun activities within the office. Excellent benefits and profit sharing. High match on 401k.

Cons

Unfortunately much of the work was very cookie-cutter--so much so that some designs could literally be cut from one project and placed directly into another with no revision whatsoever. There was very little room for professional growth unless you are willing to sacrifice sleep. There was no work/life balance and it was not uncommon to work 60-80 hours some weeks. For the amount of work, compensation was not very high but this is typical in the field I presume.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for upward mobility based on efficiency and design abilities rather than number of hours worked. Stop micromanaging. Step outside of the box more on design conceptualization.

Jul 7, 2015 – Team Member

Thank you for your review. Kimley-Horn is always looking for ways to help its employees grow professionally through skills, practice-based, and company culture trainings for entry level employees ... More

Limited Growth Potential

Former Employee - Design Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Design Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciated being able to work on a wide range of projects. There are also several opportunities to get to know senior staff.

Cons

There was limited opportunity for professional growth. The senior staff were protective of their jobs and ideas at the cost of not listening to younger staff. The work environment also felt oppressive to people who valued family. Some employees engaged in taking bets on how long female staff would last after having children. The high minimum expectations for hours in the office left many people burned out or simply absent from home.

Advice to Management

I recommend hiring management with a focus on continued learning. There is always the need to adapt to new work and economic challenges. Having managers who are open to their own growth and education will allow them to value the insight of others and ultimately make the company more profitable.

6. Good Company, but prejudice in hiring practices of good candidates with solid resumes (mid western region)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Make good money, keep getting more and more work, and profits keep rising.

Cons

Turn down good resumes of better candidates to keep the pay scales lower and profits higher.

Advice to Management

Try hiring more qualified candidates for the reputation of the firm not just fancy cheer leaders!

Jun 26, 2014 – Team Member

At Kimley-Horn, we strive to ensure that our recruiting is based on merit. So far this year, we have hired or have commitments from almost 500 new employees, and we’re seeking candidates in almost ... More

Work Work Work and More Work

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some great people

Cons

Zero work life balance- and dont expect to get paid for all the work expected of you they say you will make up for it in end of year bonus but you dont.

8. Berated despite excellent performance ratings

Former Employee - Regional in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Regional in Roseville, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great retirement package. Colleagues were great to work with

Cons

Poor business practice. Outdated culture and discriminatory practices

Advice to Management

Listen to your HR staff, discipline those who need it (such as unethical behavior) regardless of their years of service.

Work here for the pay, not for the life.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

The pay here is great because the company is privately owned and all profits are shared. You are compensated for your effort.

Cons

The amount of effort that is expected, or that you are guilt-tripped into giving, is ridiculous across the board. Forget about your life outside of work, family, health, hobbies, etc. This was the best place for me for the first 5 years when I was single and had dreams of being a millionaire. I feel that once you have a family and start to have goals outside of the office you will quickly grow out of Kimley-Horn.

Advice to Management

Should have taken more of an active role in hiring and training and pushing for work/life balance for your staff back in 2009-2010 when we started screaming for help. Now the atmosphere and moral are awful, staff is unmotivated, training is non-existent so staff is inefficient, and you're losing great staff.

10. Good company with great pay and benefits, but sweat shop.

Former Employee - Engineering Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, large company with great technical resources and help, half day Friday schedule, profit sharing, good training programs

Cons

Easy to get lost in the fold with so many employees, difficult to differentiate yourself, long hours expected of you, effective hourly pay rate is low.

Advice to Management

Allow more decision making and hiring and firing to be done on a local basis, by local management. Make it feel like a "small company".

11. Definitely take advantage of employees

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Some very good people (not generally in upper management)--most of whom left like I did.

Cons

- "Extra effort" with end-of-year bonus that never quite makes up for all the extra hours worked. - Conservative Christian culture (especially in the Southeast). - UT (utilization goal) for marketing staff. Marketing is generally overhead--difficult to meet this goal.

Advice to Management

Lose the UT for marketing and admin staff Ease up on the faith-focus Stop wasting so much money at kick-off

RSS Feed </> Embed