Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated December 6, 2014
4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work/life balance and it was not uncommon to work 60-80 hours some weeks (in 24 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, sweatshop environment...

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some very talented people and have many excellent resources at your fingertips. There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to put in the time. Training brownbag lunches almost every week with lunch provided most of the time.

Cons

Depending on your ranking, you must remain over 40-44 hours billable each week in order to take time off (including holidays) and still meet your quota at the end of the year - essentially you don't have paid time off because you work for every hour you take. Office activities or "fun" events, training events, and a good amount of meetings are obviously non billable so plan on putting in at least 50 hours a week to meet your quota and upwards of 60 if your busy (you most likely will be very busy). Salary is based on an internal ranking system and not on the value you bring to the organization...

It's time, cost and quality - you get to pick two and demanding for all three is just being greedy... share the wealth or give real paid time off...

Professional Engineer

Current Employee - Project Manager/Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Engineer

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Great firm. Excellent/Unmatched benefits in the Civil Engineering consulting industry. Highly ethical firm, great people and highly collaborative.

Cons

Career growth decided by hit/miss of which team you join. If you have the backing and strong support of a Principal, you can rise very fast.

Awesome

Former Employee - Administration in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Administration in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay, benefits awesome love this company!

Cons

there are no cons...awesome group of people

Kimley-Horn is a great company - fun culture - great perks - awesome bonus program!

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's something uniquely different about Kimley-Horn in the way you are treated, accepted, and given the opportunity to expand your career in a short amount of time. It's a family atmosphere - everyone looks out for each other and helps to groom your success.

Cons

Not many opportunities for strictly technical engineering professionals. You will be more successful if you enjoy working with clients, interacting with a team, and wanting to win project work over time. If you like to work "in a cave" at a computer all day without interacting with others, this is probably not the right firm for you.

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

Cons

Expectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

The place I want to retire!

Pros

The opportunities for career growth, recognition, rewards, benefits are truly at the top of the industry...the culture of helping others and sharing work contributes to the success of the firm

Cons

This firm is not meant for everyone - to be successful here, you must be committed to extra effort, selfless partnership, and exceeding aggressive goals.

Great environment for success!

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orange, CA

Pros

The best engineering firm to work for. Great people.
    Smart management with practical approach to running the business.
    No bureaucracies. Flat organization focused on roles and responsibilities vs. titles
    Great rewards. Team/family environment.

Cons

None that I can think of. The company emphasizes business fundamentals and exceptional client service which sometimes may appear to conflict with work /life balance.

Fantastic place to work!!

Pros

The people at Kimley-Horn are top notch. In my over 11 year tenure at Kimley-Horn, I haven't met a person I didn't like. If you don't like the people you work with, you'll be miserable and that has not been my experience at all. There are also plenty of perks and benefits that go a long way to making it an even better place to work. They aren't afraid to share the success of the firm with everyone.

Cons

It takes hard work and dedication to be successful serving clients. It can be very demanding and requires a delicate balance of work and life.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun employees to work with while maintaining a professional atmosphere. This includes both work and after work hours. Compensation is fair and competitive. Reward is based on results more than opinion which is great.

Cons

Don't have any cons as the group of employees I work with a great group to work with all the time, even when I don't agree 100% they want to work it out to a professional compromise. Much better than other places where I have worked.

Management is always open to discussion and wanting to keep the environment relaxed and open. I never feel like it is a closed discussion. Their willingness to listen and act in the best interest of the firm is what makes this a great place to work.

I own my practice and part of the firm; no ceilings encountered to either; worthy place to spend a career.

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Support to building a practice and career is strong and without boundaries; excellent benefits; top professionals at all levels. On the job training is an everyday occurrence.

Cons

Integration when coming in from another firm and learning the unstructured culture can be tough to believe initially. (It is that unstructured and open.)

Remain practice led.