Kimley-Horn and Associates
www.kimley-horn.com Cary, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014
Kimley-Horn and Associates – US – “John Atz - The President of KHA”

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros:
  • "Potential for great pay in the form of bonuses and profit sharing (when business is good)"
    in 13 reviews
  • "During KHA's hay-day they had great benefits and the bonuses were very good---even for secretarial staff"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extra effort expectations can be too high some times that make work/life balance a challenge"
    in 12 reviews
  • "UT: The utilization goals are very challenging and require extra effort"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not productive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsGood money co-workers are very friendly.

ConsLess than satisfying with little appreciation for doing your personal best on each job. Management not available.

Perform or else!!!!

Analyst (Former Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsEverybody is polite but I cannot say anything else that is positive about this company. If you want to live to work then this is the right company for you.

ConsThese people all they care is money. If they have a weak link they will get rid of you very quickly. In this company you will live and die by something called UT, which is the billable time you are to a client. Hence if there is no work, your UT % will go down as well. They expect 115% effort if not you will be frowned upon. This means you will have to work a minimum of 46 hours a week to make it, no exceptions and hope you have enough billable work to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter interview your candidates before you hire them. Also, build your employees from the ground up and expect learning curves. Not everybody learns how to ride a bike from the first try.

Live to work... Or you're out!

Civil Engineer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProfit sharing and bonuses, and that's it.

ConsBase pay is substandard with the promise that if you work hard you "may" receive a bonus to make up for it at the end of the year. Employees grind through a MINIMUM of 46 hours per week (many times 50+ hrs) with the thought of the gold at the end of the rainbow. As I've experienced over my 10 years with the company, after the higher-ups take their share there many times is little left for those who actually do the work.

Like I said, it is a KHA WRITTEN POLICY that you must work a MINIMUM of 46 hrs per week! Believe it!

I fit into the KHA mold and excelled, until I got married and had a child. Once I cut my hours back from 55-60 to 46 the system no longer worked for me. This is a VERY common problem here for employees with young families.

Health insurance is terrible. It was one of the first things that went down hill in the recession. I don't go to the doctor anymore because it's too expensive. Another example of management not willing to put their profits where they're needed the most.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfitability can be a very good thing, but not at the expense of a vast majority of your employees' happiness. You will be losing a large number of your best employees this year and next due to the fact that upper management is not willing to make a compromise.

E.I.T.

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates for more than 3 years

ProsYou can market as much as you want.

ConsSilo organization. Regional Teams are an absolute joke. 90% of them add no real value.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the regional team

Not the place for everyone

Senior Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsKHA is a good place to work for just the right type of person and KHA touts itself as a place to make lots of money and this is true.

ConsThe organization is enormously top heavy with only about 7 workers for each 1 management/overhead position. The top dogs make up various titles for themselves and travel around to the various offices generating no revenue- while stopping the work of those that do- for one pep talk or another or subtly threatening employees who aren't singing the company tune quite loud enough. I decided that it would be better to leave than cheat clients and do business the way one has to to succed there. It's sad for the younger staff but until they figure it out or get summarily layed off so a non-producing partner can keep his job, they plod along- most not knowing how it really is because they came to KHA right out of college. Padding bills and overcharging clients is, in fact, a fundamental business strategy at KHA: that's how they make such outrageous profits which thay pass out to the shareholders who own the company. The good old boys- and I do mean boys since women (and minorities) are almost completely absent from any sort of leadership role- take care of themselves first, they what ever is left triclkes down to the surfs. The cult environment is beat into the staff's heads like a Chinese water torture. Those who aren't ready, willing, and able to sacrifice family, hobbies, and their world outside of KHA and to work 50 to 60 hours a week will not last very long- either they get dumped, burned out, or give up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothig to say- they already know what the situation is but it works for them so nothing will change. Eventually they will get sued, the structure will collapse, or they will be bought out.

UT & Politics

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsYou will gain a lot of experience in CAD while an E.I.T.

ConsFrom 2008-2011 they kept senior PM's who did not bring in work, and worked E.I.T.'s into the ground. The E.I.T.'s did not learn how to be a successful engineer, just really good CAD techs. If you are not part of the popular crowd watch out. They claim a desire for good work/life balance but anyone who has worked there can tell you that is a joke. They have a self image of near perfection in engineering and not one other firm can touch their knowledge and success. News flash, you are pretentious and smug with dwindling skills in your junior/mid level ranks. I actually heard a PM explaining the rational method to a new grad. Enjoy future mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep chugging along in blind vanity sitting high in a white tower. I can't wait to see the fall.

If you have any respect for yourself don't work here.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsHardworking people who are willing to sacrifice themselves for a goal.

ConsHardworking people who are treated like sweatshop workers. This company is nothing like they say they are. All about the numbers and don not care about their employees. Numbers prove it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more involved with what is going one in your sweat shop.

This place is a cult.

CAD Drafter (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsWhen I started, KHA still had a good reputation in the industry for the quality of work. Sadly that was on its way out as I left. There was still a good mix or project types and great national clients. The benefits package (excluding pay) were average for the industry.

ConsHard work and conscience will get you used and abused, brown-nosing will get you promoted. I was in high demand from project managers for my knowledge, ability and work ethic and received great bonuses from them (spot and annual bonuses). When review time came around though, the folks who drank, partied and played poker with the higher ups got the promotions and perks while those of us who worked hard but didn't socialize at work were railroaded. The pay itself was low by industry standards. If not for my performance based bonuses, my pay would have been totally unacceptable. KHA learned to hire kids straight out of school b/c those of us with experience didn't buy the lies we were fed. We were routinely told how good we had it there b/c most other firms did not provide benefits or that the lower pay rates were b/c KHA didn't layoff like other firms do in hard times (bet they quit telling that one in the last few years). The office I was in grew so rapidly that we were hiring employees for whom we didn't have work. The existing employees were asked to "shift" to other offices so new employees could stay busy. Newhires fresh from school were often assigned projects with little or no supervision or direction. This was one of the main reasons the company's reputation dropped so quickly. The local management's role was often mostly damage control b/c they failed to provide good leadership. As stated in other reviews, UT is king at KHA. Although production level employees cannot go out and gain work, we were the ones to pay the price by being held to a UT goal despite there not being enough work available to meet the goal. One manager there told me when I expressed concerns about the staff growing and the workload not growing that it was not my job to worry about such things as people far smarter than I were running things and knew what they were doing. He must not have been one of them as he was relieved of duty and shown the door. A good 2/3 of the staff has since been let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hear that many of the bad management level staff are still there. They are totally disconnected from their production staff and even the product that goes out the door. They ran the company's reputation both with clients and in the engineering field into the ground. They may well be past the point of no return. Advice to those seeking employment here would be RUN the other way. The office politics, poor compensation and heavy workloads (no doubt even worse with all the layoffs) make a job with KHA undesirable even in this tough job market.

A culture of sacrifice.

Senior IS Professional (Former Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsThere are some wonderful people to work with at this company. If you choose to, you can learn about business and project management even if you are focused on IT.

ConsThe company culture requires a great deal of personal sacrifice. I realized when I resigned that this one thing is more important than all the others. They want you to work at least 115% effort (45+) hours but many people have to work much more than that to gain recognition. This is not always a bad thing, but you need to make sure you are ready to make this type of commitment. From an IT perspective, there are a lot of companies better suited for a career in IT. I have many friends that left this company and felt ready to abandon IT careers completely. However, once they found new positions they had a renewed passion for their chosen profession. Sadly, it is the kind of environment that treats the IT like second-class citizens much of the time. Also, it is worth noting that they have seen a high degree of turnover in the last couple of years and more and more of it is voluntary as opposed to the layoffs seen in 2007-2009 but layoffs are still happening as of January 2011.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees should be your most valuable asset. Perhaps it's time for a little less hubris and a little more humility. It may be more beneficial to understand why good people are leaving than to assume they "aren't a good fit." That excuse has allowed you to become too insular and rigid. Creative, thinking, passionate people are less likely to remain in that type of environment and a company full of Yes Men is not going to be able to innovate and compete.

Good company to start; Not a good company for a long haul

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

ProsA lot of opportunity to learn "on the job". Young engineers are given more responsibilities. Great pay and great benefits. Engineers are exceptionally talented. 5 years of experience in Kimley = 7 years of experience elsewhere in the industry. This is because, they make you work really long hours.

ConsPromotions after reaching P4 or P5 level are all politics. If you somehow manage to become a shareholder and want to leave the company, you will have to forfeit half of your stock ( I mean the stock you purchased to become a shareholder). This is true even if they let you go. I know of a senior manager who had to forfeit around $100K after he got fired form an office in South Florida. My recommendation is that if you want to slog for 3-4 years after college and gain good experience, make $$ and quit, this is a good place. If you are planning to stay for a long time, plan to commit your whole life. They will make it really painful for you to leave after you become a shareholder.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them...Albert.Einstein.
Please snap out of your current ideology and adopt a sustainable practice of valuing your employees. You lost about 50% (2800 to 1500) of your work force....highest percentage loss among your peers. Road ahead is long and arduous for you. learn from other successful companies and don't treat employees as commodities. You are not running a WalMart. You are running a consulting company.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kimley-Horn and Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kimley-Horn and Associates CEO John C. Atz. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Kimley-Horn and Associates employees.