Kimley-Horn and Associates

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions(in 19 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high(in 11 reviews)

Kimley-Horn is a great company - fun culture - great perks - awesome bonus program!

ProsThere's something uniquely different about Kimley-Horn in the way you are treated, accepted, and given the opportunity to expand your career in a short amount of time. It's a family atmosphere - everyone looks out for each other and helps to groom your success.

ConsNot many opportunities for strictly technical engineering professionals. You will be more successful if you enjoy working with clients, interacting with a team, and wanting to win project work over time. If you like to work "in a cave" at a computer all day without interacting with others, this is probably not the right firm for you.

A Fantastic Place to Work!

Vice President (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOpportunity for growth, benefits, team atmosphere, recognition. The people at Kimley-Horn are absolutely the best! Client service is top priority, and employees have a client first attitude.

ConsExpectations are high, but if you're the right person for Kimley-Horn, you already have high expectations for yourself. Employees are extremely dedicated to serving clients (both external and internal), so at times work/life balance can be a challenge.

Need to be the right type of person

Engineering Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsReally great people to work with. Lots of opportunity to get involved in groups--i.e. young professionals, women professionals, etc. Opportunities to succeed if driven to.

ConsThey talk a lot about work-life balance, but it's very difficult to do here, especially if you have children. Expect to work very long hours. They also seem to want very dominant-type personalities working here, not so much introverted types.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The place I want to retire!

ProsThe opportunities for career growth, recognition, rewards, benefits are truly at the top of the industry...the culture of helping others and sharing work contributes to the success of the firm

ConsThis firm is not meant for everyone - to be successful here, you must be committed to extra effort, selfless partnership, and exceeding aggressive goals.

Great environment for success!

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe best engineering firm to work for. Great people.
    Smart management with practical approach to running the business.
    No bureaucracies. Flat organization focused on roles and responsibilities vs. titles
    Great rewards. Team/family environment.

ConsNone that I can think of. The company emphasizes business fundamentals and exceptional client service which sometimes may appear to conflict with work /life balance.

Fantastic place to work!!

ProsThe people at Kimley-Horn are top notch. In my over 11 year tenure at Kimley-Horn, I haven't met a person I didn't like. If you don't like the people you work with, you'll be miserable and that has not been my experience at all. There are also plenty of perks and benefits that go a long way to making it an even better place to work. They aren't afraid to share the success of the firm with everyone.

ConsIt takes hard work and dedication to be successful serving clients. It can be very demanding and requires a delicate balance of work and life.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsFun employees to work with while maintaining a professional atmosphere. This includes both work and after work hours. Compensation is fair and competitive. Reward is based on results more than opinion which is great.

ConsDon't have any cons as the group of employees I work with a great group to work with all the time, even when I don't agree 100% they want to work it out to a professional compromise. Much better than other places where I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is always open to discussion and wanting to keep the environment relaxed and open. I never feel like it is a closed discussion. Their willingness to listen and act in the best interest of the firm is what makes this a great place to work.

PR program to make company look better

Senior Professional (Former Employee)

ProsKimley Horn has recently gone through a company name change and is trying to change its image. Kimley Horn is good at making themselves look good, even in the face of the many negative to very negative comments here at glassdoor and on other web sites. Notice in particular the recent flood of glowing comments that have mysteriously all be sent to glassdoor in just the last few days. KH knows that many unsuspecting potential employees rely on glassdoor as a source for real information about a company. My friends still at KH have suggested that there is a quite internal program for employees, especially senior employees, to send in good comments to glassdoor to take advantage of glassdoor's excellent reputation for information. Read and decide for yourself.

ConsDishonesty and charging clients for work that was never done. Efforts and pressure to enlist professional employees to engage in similar practices as a condition of continued employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know.

Kimley-Horn and Associates Team Member responded to this review

Jun 26, 2014

Kimley-Horn has not changed its name in nearly 50 years in business. We recently updated our logo to more accurately reflect the way our clients see us. This was the result of a 2013 study, where ... More

I own my practice and part of the firm; no ceilings encountered to either; worthy place to spend a career.

Vice President (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSupport to building a practice and career is strong and without boundaries; excellent benefits; top professionals at all levels. On the job training is an everyday occurrence.

ConsIntegration when coming in from another firm and learning the unstructured culture can be tough to believe initially. (It is that unstructured and open.)

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain practice led.

You will be as successful as you are willing to be.

ProsThe true value of the company is found in all the benefits outside of salary, such as bonuses, insurance, profit sharing, and a sharing office culture. The more you contribute, the more you receive. Most are given the freedom and encouragement to explore new and better ways to further their career and the success and profits of the firm.

ConsThe culture and environment make work-life balance a challenge. The flat organization is not good for someone who places great importance on titles. The consensus building process to make decisions can be slow and frustrating.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!