Kimley-Horn and Associates

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

An On-Purpose firm of motivated successful professionals

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsThis is an extremely intentional firm, with the express purpose of creating an environment for entrepreneurial professionals to thrive.

ConsThere is a high bar set to succeed here. Professionals have to work on-purpose, and strive for their team to provide a high level of client service every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to get paid for unused personal leave at their discretion

Incredible place to work and build a career

Senior Landscape Architect (Current Employee)

ProsHigh-level of talent and expertise, entrepreneurial atmosphere, highly compensated for outstanding efforts, family atmosphere, team atmosphere. Possibilities are endless, opportunity for all.

ConsKimley-Horn is not for everyone, you have to have desire and passion for what you do and want to work hard to achieve great things.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to monitor and address the "work / life" balance. Promote a "healthy lifestyle".

Kimley-Horn truly provides an environment for its people to flourish

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsKimley-Horn provides outstanding opportunities to grow professionally. Employees are given the support, encouragement and resources to be great consultants and trusted advisors to their clients, not just engineers, planners or designers. Because of these opportunities for professional growth, as well as outstanding benefits and a commitment to sharing the firm's financial success with all employees, Kimley-Horn is able to recruit and retain amazing employees. This includes new college hires all they way to seasoned practice builders.

ConsThe planning and design business is tough in general, and Kimley-Horn has high expectations of its staff to provide outstanding client service and to grow in their careers. This requires extra effort, and is not for everyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wish I would have joined Kimley-Horn sooner in my career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWe work hard but are rewarded very well. Great people to work with. Communication on the financial success of the firm it an open book. Strong year end bonuses. Even during the lean years when other firms were shutting down, our staff still received bonuses. GENEROUS 401K plan. To me, this is a long term commitment. You could call me a Kimley-Horn cheerleader!

ConsOn the business ladder, promotions are very slow in coming. Much slower than on the engineering side of the company. I know this is an engineering firm and those are the people that pay our bills, but recognizing folks in HR, IS, Marketing, and Accounting is equally as important. Long term employees in these areas provide a depth of client service that is important to practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional leadership teams function differently from region to region. Some are more involved in every day to day decision while others reach out to partners to make decisions. They are regional leaders not regional managers.

A Great Environment to Work In

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsKimley-Horn is a challenging and rewarding environment. If you like challenge, you'll love it. They provide many opportunities and promote a results-oriented environment. I've found more positives than negatives.

ConsIt isn't perfect but what firm is. I do believe they try to do the right thing, but sometimes they miss the mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe personal sacrifice for relocating on the firm's request is extremely high. There is not a full understanding on how it negatively impacts your career financially and on your upward movement on the professional ladder.

Only place I'd want to work

ProsLots of opportunities for growth; great people to work with who are passionate about what they do; very decentralized management structure - one company culture, but offices take on personality of local leadership; great total compensation and retirement benefits.

ConsIntense place to work, and most who are successful are hard workers. That said, the company attracts people who are driven, so you work hard because that's how you're wired, not because someone is telling you to.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsGreat project opportunities with great people. Our young staff are amazingly talented. Allows people to be successful at many levels of experience.

ConsCompetitive environment. Some people like this, others don't fit into that model.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us economically solid. Let practice flourish. Transitions of management has been excellent to date. Keep up the great work in that area.

Exemplary place. I do not know why everyone does not work here.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat values and high integrity. High level of care for employees. Promotions and benefits cannot be matched by any other engineering company. The employees are top notch and very competent. Management is in tune with employees needs and shows a high level of care. The company is led by practice and has a very flat organization. The practice philosophy and focus is a big plus for the firm. The freedom of doing what you enjoy and continuing to grow within the firm is one of the main separators.

ConsI cant think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great environment.

Wish I'd Started Working Here In My 20's!

ProsKimley-Horn truly values sharing its success with its staff - it's one of the major differences between this firm and other employers. The retirement benefits alone makes Kimley-Horn a great place to work (and if I'd started working here in my 20's, I'd be able to retire well before my peers who work for other companies!), but coupled with this amazing benefit, we all know our dedication and hard work pay off in the form of monetary and non-monetary recognition. I love working for a firm that is ethical, cares about its employees, and is financially stable.

ConsAlmost all the people I work with are self-motivated and strive to deliver outstanding client service. If you aren't a self-motivated person who believes in top-notch service to your client, Kimley-Horn may not be for you.

Awesome place to work!

Senior Professional (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe structure and the culture are all about being an entrepreneur. If you're looking for professional opportunities and rewards - there's no better place.

ConsConsulting isn't for everyone - it can be a demanding profession. Clients are budget and schedule driven - and competition is fierce - this can create tensions that have to be balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us externally focused - this business is all about serving clients. We're growing - let's keep the bar high for new staff.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!