Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated December 6, 2014
4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work/life balance and it was not uncommon to work 60-80 hours some weeks (in 24 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish I'd Started Working Here In My 20's!

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn truly values sharing its success with its staff - it's one of the major differences between this firm and other employers. The retirement benefits alone makes Kimley-Horn a great place to work (and if I'd started working here in my 20's, I'd be able to retire well before my peers who work for other companies!), but coupled with this amazing benefit, we all know our dedication and hard work pay off in the form of monetary and non-monetary recognition. I love working for a firm that is ethical, cares about its employees, and is financially stable.

Cons

Almost all the people I work with are self-motivated and strive to deliver outstanding client service. If you aren't a self-motivated person who believes in top-notch service to your client, Kimley-Horn may not be for you.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The structure and the culture are all about being an entrepreneur. If you're looking for professional opportunities and rewards - there's no better place.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone - it can be a demanding profession. Clients are budget and schedule driven - and competition is fierce - this can create tensions that have to be balanced.

Keep us externally focused - this business is all about serving clients. We're growing - let's keep the bar high for new staff.

Lots of responsibility and great rewards!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Practice Builder
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Practice Builder

Pros

Lots of responsibilities and challenging projects. Great benefits. Best of all -- great people to work with.

Cons

Limited off-site technical training opportunities.

Continue to stay connected with the young professionals.

A challenging but rewarding and fun work environment

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kimley-Horn and Associates has a very unique culture, and I believe that stems from being 100% employee owned and operated by professionals who have practiced as consultants. This company is perfect for the highly-motivated professional. The only limitations at Kimley-Horn are the limitations you put on yourself. The firm-wide leadership is excellent - incredibly down to earth and dedicated to growth of the company and its professionals. The financial reward of working at Kimley-Horn is AWESOME! From the 401k matching, holiday bonuses, Thanksgiving honey ham gift card to the random bonuses throughout the year, it's nice to see hard work literally pay off! The dedication to quality and internal education is excellent, and the fact that Kimley-Horn operates as "one profit center" allows for effective sharing of resources between offices.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle at Kimley-Horn. This is not the company for someone who wants to work 40.0 hours every week. The billability goal, or "UT", is a constant struggle and is probably higher than similar consulting firms... but without the hard work of all employees, the financial rewards wouldn't be as great.

Strong Culture, Practice Driven, Result-oriented, Great Partnering, Reward success at ALL levels.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

great benefits, and we reward success at all levels meaning the profits of the firm are shared with each and every individual that helped produce the profits. You get exposed to the entire realm of consulting - technical development, marketing, and business / accounting aspects starting at a young age. Leadership and direction is initiated at the local office level, not directed and/or dictated from a regional or corporate office.

Cons

We are high energy, fast-paced, and results-oriented, which is not for everyone. Extra effort is part of our culture, yet tracked and considered when determining an individual's advancement / compensation / contribution to the firm.

Great projects and great people who take care of you.

Current Employee - Practice Builder in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn shares the wealth with all employees - we work hard but reap the rewards of our effort.

Cons

We work hard, so if that's a concern then look elsewhere.

Great place for a rewarding career with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides an environment for its employees to grow professionally and achieve their career goals. Their practice builder model allows you to pursue projects that you are passionate about. They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions.

Cons

Kimley-Horn challenges its employees to exceed goals which requires a level of personal commitment but also encourages a healthy work-life balance.

The management at Kimley-Horn is always available to support staff and their open door policy allows for the exchange of ideas. They allow you the freedom to develop your own practice while providing you the support when you need it. I would encourage them to continue to do that.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun employees to work with while maintaining a professional atmosphere. This includes both work and after work hours. Compensation is fair and competitive. Reward is based on results more than opinion which is great.

Cons

Don't have any cons as the group of employees I work with a great group to work with all the time, even when I don't agree 100% they want to work it out to a professional compromise. Much better than other places where I have worked.

Management is always open to discussion and wanting to keep the environment relaxed and open. I never feel like it is a closed discussion. Their willingness to listen and act in the best interest of the firm is what makes this a great place to work.

Intelligently-run business that rewards employees who excel at their jobs

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401k program is unrivaled by any company I have ever heard of, high ceiling for career advancement, opportunity to become a shareholder, employee-owned company that has ownership transition to allow ownership opportunities for successful younger staff, shifting work between offices helps balance workload and avoid hiring/firing from project to project

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge

I wish I had joined sooner

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

Kimley-Horn is good about mentoring staff early in their careers, and retaining them with excellent benefits, growth opportunities, and entrepreneurial spirit.
    I only wish I had known about them sooner.

Cons

Utilization (UT) is a consideration, but other engineering firms have similar issues.

Kimley-Horn and Associates Photos