Kimley-Horn and Associates

www.kimley-horn.com
Employer Engaged

My experience at Kimley-Horn is challenging and provides me with the resources to pursue any type of project

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

The best reason to work here is the support, resources, challenges and rewards for a job well done. My work here is recognized and appreciated. We work hard but are rewarded for that effort as well. Engineers are encouraged to develop a practice of clients and the transition of those clients over time and ownership transition is a strong focus.

Cons

Meeting the utilization and financial goals can create some diametric situations but they are manageable with the support of the senior leadership.

Great Place for people who strive for success

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth and reward. Great benefits especially retirement and bonuses. Strong culture throughout the firm. This is a great place for folks who are self motivated. Great place for folks who like an incentive based environment.

Cons

Not the right place for someone looking for a job instead of a career. If you are looking for the highest salary and don't care about retirement or bonus this isn't the right place for you.

Keep it up

A challenging but rewarding and fun work environment

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Kimley-Horn and Associates has a very unique culture, and I believe that stems from being 100% employee owned and operated by professionals who have practiced as consultants. This company is perfect for the highly-motivated professional. The only limitations at Kimley-Horn are the limitations you put on yourself. The firm-wide leadership is excellent - incredibly down to earth and dedicated to growth of the company and its professionals. The financial reward of working at Kimley-Horn is AWESOME! From the 401k matching, holiday bonuses, Thanksgiving honey ham gift card to the random bonuses throughout the year, it's nice to see hard work literally pay off! The dedication to quality and internal education is excellent, and the fact that Kimley-Horn operates as "one profit center" allows for effective sharing of resources between offices.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle at Kimley-Horn. This is not the company for someone who wants to work 40.0 hours every week. The billability goal, or "UT", is a constant struggle and is probably higher than similar consulting firms... but without the hard work of all employees, the financial rewards wouldn't be as great.

Strong Culture, Practice Driven, Result-oriented, Great Partnering, Reward success at ALL levels.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

great benefits, and we reward success at all levels meaning the profits of the firm are shared with each and every individual that helped produce the profits. You get exposed to the entire realm of consulting - technical development, marketing, and business / accounting aspects starting at a young age. Leadership and direction is initiated at the local office level, not directed and/or dictated from a regional or corporate office.

Cons

We are high energy, fast-paced, and results-oriented, which is not for everyone. Extra effort is part of our culture, yet tracked and considered when determining an individual's advancement / compensation / contribution to the firm.

Great projects and great people who take care of you.

Current Employee - Practice Builder in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn shares the wealth with all employees - we work hard but reap the rewards of our effort.

Cons

We work hard, so if that's a concern then look elsewhere.

Great place for a rewarding career with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides an environment for its employees to grow professionally and achieve their career goals. Their practice builder model allows you to pursue projects that you are passionate about. They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions.

Cons

Kimley-Horn challenges its employees to exceed goals which requires a level of personal commitment but also encourages a healthy work-life balance.

The management at Kimley-Horn is always available to support staff and their open door policy allows for the exchange of ideas. They allow you the freedom to develop your own practice while providing you the support when you need it. I would encourage them to continue to do that.

Intelligently-run business that rewards employees who excel at their jobs

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401k program is unrivaled by any company I have ever heard of, high ceiling for career advancement, opportunity to become a shareholder, employee-owned company that has ownership transition to allow ownership opportunities for successful younger staff, shifting work between offices helps balance workload and avoid hiring/firing from project to project

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge

The opportunities at Kimley-Horn are wide open.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are exceptional. The culture is extremely positive. Kimley-Horn offers a great opportunity and a satisfying career.

Cons

As with any professional services firm, the time demands can sometimes be overwhelming.

This is a great company to work for and grow a career.

Current Employee - Practice Builder in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is huge opportunity to grow a practice here and the benefits are outstanding across the board. The company truly practices its core values especially exceptional client service and sharing the rewards with staff.

Cons

The expectations are high. You have to have a desire to work hard and be successful. This is more of a warning to the weak and not really a con. It isn't fair for high performers to carry the load of the non-performers like other firms do.

Continue the efforts grow the firm. It creates opportunities for staff to grow.

Great Company, Great Opportunities, and Fantastic People to Work With

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Opportunity is there if you are motivated to take advantage of it. I have had the chance to work on many different types of projects over my tenure here and grown in my skills and career as a result. You get the responsibility and opportunities you show you can handle, as early as you can handle them. Total compensation package is great compared to other firms I have worked at or have friends at. Firm cares about its employees and goes out of its way to accommodate special circumstances. It lets people flourish.

Cons

You are surrounded with a lot of driven, goal oriented people who work hard to reach those goals. It can take a lot to stand out in the crowd. If you are not that type of person, it may be more difficult for you to be happy in that environment.

Continue to care about both the staff and the clients. The culture works.

Kimley-Horn and Associates Photos