Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated October 15, 2014
4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been surrounded by people who have invested in my career to help me be successful.

Current Employee - Vice President in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides an environment where everyone is helping each other. Whether you are the new person or a seasoned person, the team is trying to grow something special together. We are a business based engineering firm that first and foremost runs an incredible business. Compared to our competition, we are just different. We have high expectations and we share the success of the firm with everyone.

Cons

The only con that stands out to me is that we are all very driven people who don't like to lose. We are all willing to work really hard to provide opportunities for our folks to grow. With that kind of consulting, we have demands on our time.

Maintain the full court press in finding talented people to join our great team.

My experience with Kimley-Horn has been exciting and rewarding throughout my career.

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional and financial rewards including bonus and retirement plans. Family feel throughout all staff levels.

Cons

No cons in my book!

Keep doing what you do to grow the overall company and individuals within it.

Kimley-Horn - Great place to work.

Current Employee - Practice Builder in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Kimley-Horn has great opportunities for professional development and financial compensation. It is setup like you run your own company as a practice builder with the support of national experts, a marketing team and a human resources team. I have had the freedom to expand my services from Traffic Impact Studies, to transportation planning and design of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Bicycle and Pedestrian facilities and highway safety.

Cons

Held accountable for what you do or don't do. No hiding and skating by here. It is true that this is an "extra effort" firm and employees are expected to work more than 40 hours a week, more like 45 to 50.

I work with the best professionals in the business

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Getting to work everyday with professional, like minded colleagues who are all as driven for success as I am. Collaborating daily across the office, region and firm to help my partners be successful. Kimley-Horn has never failed to meet or exceed my expectations. Looking forward to retiring in 15+ years with a retirement package that will be unmatched in the industry. Culture is consistent across the firm. Strength in the diversity of the firm and it's one profit center. We work on some of the coolest projects with some of the best clients in Arizona.

Cons

Kimley-Horn attracts very talented and driven employees. Everyone strives to be as good or better than their peers. We expect the best out of ourselves and our staff and treat every project as if it was our own. While some weeks this is a 9-5 job, we do what we have to do to ensure our clients success.

Great Consulting Firm

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you have the ability to be a successful practice builder, working here can be like owning your own business - you have the autonomy to run your own practice but don't have to deal with payroll, etc.

Cons

Earlier in my career, I almost felt guilty if I needed to leave work early - the hours can be demanding - but it is something you need to learn to manage.

I should have joined Kimley-Horn earlier in my career.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Bonuses for outstanding performance are outstanding.

Cons

Performance measures and expectations are not always consistent with market opportunities.

Stick with the youth movement in filling management positions.

One of the Best Civil Firms in the Country

Pros

A company on the rise with many opportunities for professional consultants. Very nimble for a large firm especially compared to others of similar size. Good pay with even better benefits. Very talented staff with a focus of high quality service to their Clients. A really good place for young professionals to start their careers. I only wish I had started here but they found me.

Cons

Some may say the expectations are high with the demand for extra effort. There are many benefits to balance such expectations. Not for the person who wants a 40 hour job. If you are not a self starter, it may be challenging.

Continue to focus more on quality and less on utilization. Not saying UT is not important, but the message should be more concentrated on quality more so than quantity. Consider taking vacation time out of the UT calculation

Everything that I wanted for my career, my family....and then some.

Pros

Exceptional opportunities for entrepreneurial types - salaries average, but capped off with a really good bonus structure, rewarding results. Best retirement plan, because they share profits with employees. High quality and very caring staff. Ability to build a practice and have national resources support, I am in control of my own success. Office Culture and company values is enjoyable to work around. Enjoy being part of a highly respected firm in the industry. Trains young professionals the business side of consulting.

Cons

Not a 9 to 5 job, requires dedicated people with commitment to clients and meeting client demands. Conservative business decision process into new/changing markets, adapts slower than most smaller firms, which could be pro or con. Focus on business based goals/philosophy may be an adjustment for some.

Extremely positive work experience.

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The talent level at Kimley-Horn is exceptional. It is energizing and inspiring to work with such talented partners in all areas of the engineering, planning and landscape architecture industry. Additionally, the projects Kimley-Horn works on are signature projects shaping our community.

Kimley-Horn recognizes and rewards the hard work and commitment of all team members.

Cons

Working on signature/highly visible projects in the community is exciting, and at the same time stressful. Important to keep a balance and a perspective.

Continue to focus on training staff at all levels, continued support of the national Women's Leadership Group, and recognizing all team players on projects.

Great firm

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX

Pros

You are given a lot of opportunities for growth and responsibility. Excellent benefits. Great bonus program.

Cons

There is a heavy time commitment.

Kimley-Horn and Associates Photos