Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated August 19, 2014

4.5

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great projects and great people who take care of you.

Current Employee - Practice Builder  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Builder in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kimley-Horn shares the wealth with all employees - we work hard but reap the rewards of our effort.

Cons

We work hard, so if that's a concern then look elsewhere.

Great place for a rewarding career with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides an environment for its employees to grow professionally and achieve their career goals. Their practice builder model allows you to pursue projects that you are passionate about. They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions.

Cons

Kimley-Horn challenges its employees to exceed goals which requires a level of personal commitment but also encourages a healthy work-life balance.

The management at Kimley-Horn is always available to support staff and their open door policy allows for the exchange of ideas. They allow you the freedom to develop your own practice while providing you the support when you need it. I would encourage them to continue to do that.

Intelligently-run business that rewards employees who excel at their jobs

Current Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401k program is unrivaled by any company I have ever heard of, high ceiling for career advancement, opportunity to become a shareholder, employee-owned company that has ownership transition to allow ownership opportunities for successful younger staff, shifting work between offices helps balance workload and avoid hiring/firing from project to project

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that allows employees to explore their passion.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides the resources and opportunities to grow in my chosen profession, flexibility to determine what I want to work on and plan well for retirement. I have been allowed to work on diverse projects with no glass ceiling to slow me down. As a business based practice, profits are shared with all not just a few and this provides what I need now as well as in the future.

Cons

The amount of hours required can be difficult especially with family. But there are supports in place for work/life balance. In recent years, management and decision making has moved away from the practice builders to a few managers.

The upper management of our firm has always been great. Much thought goes into vision, growth and business practices that make us successful. I have benefitted greatly from that in that profits are shared with everyone. Would like to see a return to more practice led management and loyalty for those have spent their career here.

I wish I had joined sooner

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

Kimley-Horn is good about mentoring staff early in their careers, and retaining them with excellent benefits, growth opportunities, and entrepreneurial spirit.
    I only wish I had known about them sooner.

Cons

Utilization (UT) is a consideration, but other engineering firms have similar issues.

The most impressive collection of people in the industry

Pros

Competitive salaries and great benefits, great place to be for a financially motivated person, awesome staff, the quality of the people are second to none, strong sense of culture and teamwork, one-profit center, everyone understands the main focus is client service.

Cons

Very high expectations in the name of client service, high level of responsibility can be challenging to balance with family life.

Stay privately held and independent, never lose sight of our core values and purpose

Be empowered to build your own business

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Highly skilled employees
    Great incentive compensation for those who stay for several years+
    Diverse range of challenging projects

Cons

Extra effort required to exceed goals
    Clients impose tight deadlines sometimes

Continue to increase flexibility with staff
    Value all levels of staff more including adminstrative

Kimley-Horn has been an amazing place to grow my career

Pros

Kimley-Horn allows you the freedom to follow your passions and collaborate with partners from the around the country to serve your client. Total compensation- salary, bonus and benefits are top in the industry

Cons

if you are not a self-starter and driven to success, Kimley-Horn might not be the right fit for you

continue to listen to the needs of staff and clients

Very Challenging and Rewarding Firm

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great Clients
    Great Projects
    Great Opportunity
    Great people to work that have the same goals
    Development of younger staff
    Extra effort company

Cons

Aggressive deadlines can be a life balance challenge
    Challenging UT goals

Keep up the great work
    Management does a great job keeping the firm focused, balanced, and profitable
    Management understands the challenges related to great client service

Great place to work and have a career!!

Current Employee - Associate  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

If you are going to work hard, you will get rewarded! Everyone has the chance to be successful at Kimley-Horn if you want it. the training and environment provided for every staff member can not be beat. I started here after college graduation and I plan to retire from here!

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Keep the culture strong.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!