Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated September 14, 2014
4.6

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 20 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • But there are supports in place for work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A great firm to be a part of

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities if you want to excel. Self motivated people will shine and be rewarded. Good place to start out of college and learn the trade. Benefits are outstanding and if you want training, you will get it. I wish that I had found Kimley-Horn before I did!

Cons

The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high. Firm does a good job of tracking metrics and production is required.

Continue to take moments and recognize efforts and the daily successes.

My experience at Kimley-Horn is challenging and provides me with the resources to pursue any type of project

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

The best reason to work here is the support, resources, challenges and rewards for a job well done. My work here is recognized and appreciated. We work hard but are rewarded for that effort as well. Engineers are encouraged to develop a practice of clients and the transition of those clients over time and ownership transition is a strong focus.

Cons

Meeting the utilization and financial goals can create some diametric situations but they are manageable with the support of the senior leadership.

Great Place for people who strive for success

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth and reward. Great benefits especially retirement and bonuses. Strong culture throughout the firm. This is a great place for folks who are self motivated. Great place for folks who like an incentive based environment.

Cons

Not the right place for someone looking for a job instead of a career. If you are looking for the highest salary and don't care about retirement or bonus this isn't the right place for you.

Keep it up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be empowered to build your own business

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Highly skilled employees
    Great incentive compensation for those who stay for several years+
    Diverse range of challenging projects

Cons

Extra effort required to exceed goals
    Clients impose tight deadlines sometimes

Continue to increase flexibility with staff
    Value all levels of staff more including adminstrative

Kimley-Horn has been an amazing place to grow my career

Pros

Kimley-Horn allows you the freedom to follow your passions and collaborate with partners from the around the country to serve your client. Total compensation- salary, bonus and benefits are top in the industry

Cons

if you are not a self-starter and driven to success, Kimley-Horn might not be the right fit for you

continue to listen to the needs of staff and clients

Very Challenging and Rewarding Firm

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Clients
    Great Projects
    Great Opportunity
    Great people to work that have the same goals
    Development of younger staff
    Extra effort company

Cons

Aggressive deadlines can be a life balance challenge
    Challenging UT goals

Keep up the great work
    Management does a great job keeping the firm focused, balanced, and profitable
    Management understands the challenges related to great client service

Great place to work and have a career!!

Current Employee - Associate  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

If you are going to work hard, you will get rewarded! Everyone has the chance to be successful at Kimley-Horn if you want it. the training and environment provided for every staff member can not be beat. I started here after college graduation and I plan to retire from here!

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Keep the culture strong.

Kimley-Horn is a great fit for self-motivated, highly energetic people and a career where results are rewarded..

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Practice Builder  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Practice Builder in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I have really appreciated the opportunities to grow, both personally and in my career. For me, I have always been challenged technically, while obtaining new and exciting things to get involved with. The quality of the people is extraordinary. I wanted a career where I could enjoy what I did, while also enjoying the people I worked with. At Kimley-Horn, I not only found that, I found a place that I could be more than adequately rewarded financially, as well. All in all, great people, challenging work, very strong benefits all add up to a great place to build a career.

Cons

Kimley-Horn is not a great place for those seeking a "job", and not a career. The people at Kimlen-Horn are passionate about what they do, and the clients we are serving. As such, those that are not as passionate about their career often can feel overwhelmed. The work culture at Kimley-Horn is to put in extra effort (on average 10 - 15%) in an effort to exceed our client's expectations. As such, it is not a "9-5" job.

Each office has its own personality, often with a local flavor of that region. Best advice is to acknowledge and honor that local flavor, while still providing for consistency across the companies many offices. This can be a difficult and challenging thing to adhere to.

Kimley-Horn offers a workplace for exceptional people

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

Kimley-Horn provides an environment where I can grow, serve clients, develop others to serve clients and enjoy a positive atmosphere without unnecessary ceilings on growth and opportunities. As a result, I am well compensated and recognized.

Cons

We work hard to serve our clients, sometimes harder than we'd like but with great satisfaction of serving them well.

So much of what we have has been so thoughtfully put into place that I have little feedback.

Lots of opportunity for staff at all levels to chart their own course.

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The people I work with are second to none both personally and professionally and make coming to work a joy. In addition at all points in your career you are given the latitude to make what you want of your future.

Cons

With great opportunities come great responsibility so working hard and doing a good job the first time is necessary to be successful here.

Keep up the good work and continue to empower our employees to succeed.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!