Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants President and CEO Michael Depatie

Michael Depatie

Pros:
  • "There is opportunity for growth within the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • "1 at customer satisfaction surveys, friendly work environment"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Not quite what they portray themselve as

Server (Former Employee)
Phila, PA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsHealth benefits for bar and restaurant
401k, etc for restaurant and bar staff
Good looking property
They WANT to care about you
Fun employees and team to work with(Obviously this is branch specific)

ConsHealth Benefits are terrible for restaurant side...unaffordable
Way too corporate, have 4-5 managers in suits actually drove some customers away
Don't care about employees as much as they claim they do, especially after two seminars per year about how much they care about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax. Don't be so uptight, not to workers...but to customers. This was not a high-end restaurant, but a tavern-style setting, so customers were here to unwind and relax. Everything doesn't have to be by the book, that's not how life works.

Great company culture without much structure at times

Catering Sales (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat office environment, Fun people, Opportunity to bring own ideas to the table, Easy to switch roles if you make the effort.

ConsSometimes it can be hard to get help if needed, Operations team works unfairly long hours without getting the proper pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your staff don't just except them to ALWAYS learn on their own.

Very content, long time employee

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKimpton employees are very loving and caring. One of the things I love most about this company is the "family" atmosphere.

ConsWhile its easy to move up within the company in some departments, its a bit more challenging in other areas due to the seniority. (No one wants to leave Kimpton!) Also, its very easy for remote employees, or employees who cover a wide region, to feel disconnected from their team.

Great values, poor execution

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

ProsThe company boasts some of the best benefits out there and has been rated one of the top places to work for years.

ConsThe excellent benefits are made difficult to access, such as hotel discounts, flex spending, and upward mobility is not as easy as advertised.

Great Company Hires Horrible Leadership

Concierge (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFrom an organizational level the company does care about its employees and guests.

ConsFrom an individual level in Denver it cannot be said that leadership cares about their employees and guests.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure in Denver.

Director level

Senior Director Level (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time

ProsGreat culture, smart collaborative environment and great hotel and restaurant perks! The company has been an innovator in the hospitality space and a dominant boutique hotel player -- which is becoming increasingly popular with travelers. Smart and approachable executive team.

ConsThe company has lost it's entrepreneurial spirit. It feels like a large company -- even though it's still a relatively small company

Great opportunities await!

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Proslots of growth from within the company, managers are encouraged to empower their team, overall a very young company full of fun people, middle- to lower-management positions are plentiful

Consvery high expectations and comitment levels required of managers, pay isn't great - relatively low for the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in the operations managers who run your properties day-to-day. They are the ones who really make the whole show happen. They're also usually overworked and underpaid.

Great Corporate Culture

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

ProsI loved working for Kimpton Hotels. As a front desk agent and a private dining server for over 1 year, I felt it was a company where I could really be myself. Their core values matched up with mine perfectly - they care about the environment, LGBT rights, and standing out from other brands. I left to make better money elsewhere but will likely return one day.

ConsThere aren't many cons. I did feel very underpaid, but my pay was on-par with other hotels in the area as a front desk agent, so this isn't much to the fault of Kimpton.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps better benefits would be great. Having lived in Europe, I'm always in awe that a hospitality company offers only one week of paid vacation. This really affects work/life balance and directly reflects on job performance.

great company

Front Desk Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Prosup-beat, young, very employee focused

Consservice culture is a bit lax at times, too casual

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good but got out in time

Senior Executive (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHad an amazing culture, everyone took care of each other. Its culture separated it from every other game in town.

ConsThe culture left when the former COO/President joined Commune. Nobody is sure the current COO is even a part of the company, there's complete silence and a total lack of leadership. The company is now lead by 50+ year old non-hip operators and its sad to to see the company lose its soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally not sure how you reverse this trend. So much has changed for the worse in the blink of an eye and I'm not really sure how in touch they are with the concerns people are having.

Worked for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants CEO Michael Depatie. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants employees.