Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants President and CEO Michael Depatie
Michael Depatie

Pros
  • There is opportunity for growth within the company (in 3 reviews)

• Kimpton as an entirety is a great place to work for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay for hourly employees is low compared to similar positions in the industry (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, especially for lower level employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, a company that cares, but often misses the little things

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Pros

Lots of employee perks for line employees, full time benefits, contests, employee luncheons,

Cons

discussed employee rate is almost never available in any city. Lots of "perks" that are misrepresented.

Simply the BEST

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance has never been something that I have experienced working in the hospitality industry....until now. Kimpton treats its employees right from the line level staff on up...not the other way around.

Cons

Everyone wishes they could make more money...right?!

Kimpton Cares

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kimpton really values and appreciates their employees and it shows every single day. Working here you are empowered to do what is right and what is best for the customer. Benefits and growth opportunities are endless.

Cons

Smaller company, but rapidly expanding. Not International yet, but they are getting close.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company depending on the property

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Pros

Great employee discounts on hotels. The company normally promotes within so there is opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Depending on management at each property it's difficult to guarantee consistency.

Try to promote from within so that managers know what it's like work in their employees positions.

Out of all the many jobs I've had in this life time, so far. Kimpton has been hands down the best company.

Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a company that makes you feel proud to be apart of. They take care of their employess, and make you feel great about working for them and with them. It's a culture that the founder instill in it's birth.

Cons

Like most big companies they are in the business of buying and selling parts. Sadly when you're apart of one of those smaller parts, easily lost in the transaction.

When you meet 1 of the thousands of great people that work for this awesome company, don't lie to them. If they don't have a chance to advance , don't tell them they do. Too many times people have asked to be promoted, and their request never makes it past the initial conversation... save from your friends, that always seem to get promoted.

Voted Top 100 for a Reason

Former Employee - Reservations  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Reservations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture reigns supreme! The company culture at Kimpton is the key to their success and what sets them apart as employers. Employee empowerment speaks volumes, and you can definitely hear it coming from Kimpton employees.

Cons

There wasn't a lot of growth oppourtunity for me during my time with Kimpton, but hard work was recognized.

Good Company

Current Employee - Floor Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pretty setting, fast paced environment

Cons

Upper management overloaded and that trickles down...

Great Culture, company values, current hotel management is inexperienced, naive and lacks team emphasis

Current Employee - In-Room Dining Attendant  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - In-Room Dining Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Company values, beautiful property, wonderful restaurant! Coworkers are amazing

Cons

Headed in bad direction, current team and family atmosphere is being torn apart by new hotel management. Treats hourly employees very badly and runs skeleton staff.

Don't be so cold to lower employees, reestablish the working as a team environment.

overall good company

Pros

company has room to grow, lot of luncheons and celebrations for different events, good benefits

Cons

there is room to grow but this is mostly reserved for managers and not so much for hourly employees

A place that gave me some good memories also gave me some horrible kimpton moments

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom to make your own calls with guest. If you are in a pinch you can easily fix the guest problems without the problem escalating. Freedom to be you, they really do like if you can implement that into a guest experience. Time off request are handled well. They have daily meetings where anyone can go and listen to the layout of the day. I respect the open door policy. They encourage healthy life style choices.

Cons

They spy on employees outside of work, so if you have social media of any kind, better hope its private or else! They even monitor you after you leave, I was even called by HR after I left the company! I asked them what the point was and they wouldn't tell me, so you do get a sense of cyber stalking with them.There is a weird thing with how they turn a blind eye to managers/ supervisors/ people who get high survey scores doing wrong but line level employees get fired/ suspended on the spot( for lesser offenses). The pay is bad compared to other places but they tell you its comparable. They give you bonus' which you are taxed on, you also pay for your own benefits. Another thing, that whole Fortune 500 top company to work for, they rehearse the questionnaire with employees and if the employee says something's bad; the managers either tell them they're wrong, say they will fix it, or discipline the employee. Sadly squeaky wheels(outspoken employees) get fired for speaking their minds about what needs to get fixed. They also do it to save money that way. Managers seem to clique-ish. The employee opinion survey is another issue, nothing gets fixed all year and when the employees express frustration the GM gets mad(acts like they never knew), I found out its because they actually don't get the bonus on their check(for high scores) not because of how bad things are. Also they claim it's anonymous but it's not, I had an agm come to me and said "I know what you put, I know your hand writing" also HR had a talk with a four person department because two of the employees(who were not managers) put they were dissatisfied with how things were going. It's a shame I really did love that place once but years of over work,under pay, and focus on trivial things really disheartened me.

Don't play favorites with managers vs line level, discipline across the board. I've seen managers do and say horrible things and other managers(even HR) laugh or scoff at it and move on. Line level though gets punished. Increase the pay of the employees! A healthy, equal, well paid work environment will translate to happier employees which will then go directly to the guest(which means better numbers, I know how they are about survey scores, obsessed!)

Worked for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!