Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants President and CEO Michael Depatie

Michael Depatie

Pros:
  • "There is opportunity for growth within the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The company is a great place to work if you are social, lively, and enjoy a fast paced work environment"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There seems to be a general liking and benefits for managers that a lot of hourly employees do not take part of"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Lack of accountability, especially for lower level employees"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun and unique

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants for more than a year

ProsFirst company I have worked for that appreciates creativity, they are always open to suggestions and opinions. Upper management is really supportive and qualified.

ConsOnce you work for a great company it's hard to work for anywhere else. Growth opportunities require relocation.

In danger of losing good reputation as a fun employer

Banquet Server (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants part-time

ProsHip, boutique, unique. Nice properties and building on great experiences.

ConsManagement can be uptight but corporate culture says employee's should be individuals and express personality. The two don't mix. There is a disconnection between executive staff and lower level staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't discredit your staff. Just because you have over 10 years experience doesn't mean your staff doesn't understand how the business runs and can't contribute. Adapt to change and take the time to get to know your staff.

New Brand Lacking Structure

Rooms Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKimpton is a great company to work for with great benefits- for managers. Benefits are actually paid for for Managers only. Lots of freedom to be yourself and to come up with your own concepts and ideas. You are given the chance to execute your ideas as a manager.

ConsUnlike most hotel companies, Kimpton does not offer free or discounted lunch to employees. There are absolutely no SOPs, so if you are someone that likes structure, working for this company will drive you crazy. It is a free for all to do as you please. Many Kimpton hotels lack layers in management as they are small. This does not allow for growth easily. Often many Kimptons are under staffed, and do not have the attention to detail that other chains have. Kimpton has a lot of work to do as a company to stay relevant. In my opinion, the company has grown to quickly for its own good and they do not have the corporate staffing necessary to keep up with the larger chains. The company is still operating like a small scale hotel chain, when in fact it is becoming much larger and well known. I believe it is hit or miss with each hotel and while being unique is part of their brand, you do need to have standard operating procedures in order to succeed. I would not reccommend this company for someone that wants to experience real hospitality or to feel valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some SOPs and update your staffing guides. Work on the alliance between restaurant and hotel. Update your software- Epitome is a terrible system for a hotel to use and is very behind on the times.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server

Seattle, WA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsCool company culture, cheap hotel stays for employees

ConsSome growing pains. Some properties vastly superior to others.

Kimpton doesn't move mountains, they build them!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture, Creativity, Anti Corporate yet structured ( Like the leaning tower of Pisa ).

ConsCompensation... a little below by comparison, difficult to gain an employee rate at other Kimpton Hotels.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to maintain the culture, it will only get difficult as the company gets larger.

Compensation needs to be more competitive for long-term employees, and company culture needs to be optimized.

New York, NY

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants part-time for more than 8 years

ProsKimpton usually attracts good people.

ConsJust because it's Kimpton they can allow themselves a lot. The recent changes in upper management is just one symptom, key-people are leaving to work for better companies. There is a reason for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be more competitive for long-term employees. I worked for the company for over 8 years as an hourly employee and never got a raise other than standard minimum wage. No bonuses at any point.
Another factor would be company culture. My department was outstanding because of management and quality employees, but what our team witnessed from corporate wasn't "employer of the year" worthy. Please start staying true to your values, inside and out.

Kimpton no longer has the secret sauce

General Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLot's talented leaders still within the individual business units

ConsKimpton's home office leadership is absent and no longer connects with it's employees. This is what made the company special and without it Kimpton is mediocre at best. There is little to no direction or vision and despite the feedback there is no attempt at improvement. Sad to watch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and clean house.

Culture change

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

ProsPositive employee focus as well as the emphasis on genuine customer satisfaction.

ConsWhat was once positive and proactive in their attention to employee and customer satisfaction has turned into a company that is only focused on numbers. Simply, they don't walk their talk anymore.

A Truly Best Place To Work

People & Culture (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing hotel and restaurant career opportunities, endless training and professional development, Employee Resource Groups, a real commitment to diversity and inclusion, inspirational leaders and co-workers, wide-spectrum of benefits.

ConsNone to report . Kimpton is unmatched in our consistent delivery of a Best Place to Work environment built and nurtured on a foundation of care.

Not quite what they portray themselve as

Phila, PA

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsHealth benefits for bar and restaurant
401k, etc for restaurant and bar staff
Good looking property
They WANT to care about you
Fun employees and team to work with(Obviously this is branch specific)

ConsHealth Benefits are terrible for restaurant side...unaffordable
Way too corporate, have 4-5 managers in suits actually drove some customers away
Don't care about employees as much as they claim they do, especially after two seminars per year about how much they care about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax. Don't be so uptight, not to workers...but to customers. This was not a high-end restaurant, but a tavern-style setting, so customers were here to unwind and relax. Everything doesn't have to be by the book, that's not how life works.

Worked for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants CEO Michael Depatie. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants employees.