Kindercare
www.kindercare.com 5000+ Employees

Kindercare Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014
Kindercare – Fairfax – “teacher boards”

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow

Elanna S. Yalow

Pros:
  • "Working with children infant - school age is truly a rewarding experience"
    in 5 reviews
  • "If you want to make a difference in a child life, good experience doing that"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "low pay, not many chances to move up within company"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The company does a great job a decieving job candidates & new hires as it's not as said to be nor as it appears to be.

Teacher/Floater (Former Employee)
Merrimack, NH

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEducation Reimbursement, Health / Medical Benefits

ConsThe Entire Program & Management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire peole who actually have Phd's, Master's etc.. & are qualified in the Education field to run the company , give teachers more $$ and value their imput more by "displays" of gratitude, respect, recognition & appreciaton !

Not the best company to work for

School Age Teacher (Current Employee)
Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly co-workers, OK management (I've had worse), and great families.

ConsThey cut hours as soon as the kid count drops, terrible communication skills, (corporate) doesn't seem to care that much about their workers, you have to pull an arm and a leg to get a raise (took me three years). They say one thing and do another, make you pay for your own background check, doesn't keep center buildings up to date. Directors get to go on fun paid vacations and leave the teachers to work their butts off with not extra help.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn communication skills, be there for your employees.

teacher

Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

Proshorrible pay, but the pro in Indiana ou can still qualif for foodstamps, with the hourly wage the pay.

Conssame as above depends on your political view. They also push the limit on how many children are in the classrooms, just because the state gives a max number doesn't mean the school should follow that recommendation, the state doesn't know anything about children. I know each little warm body is a dollar figure, but its not good to have so many children in a classroom!

Advice to Senior Managementhow about living wages!!!!!!

Only Cares About Money

Twos Teacher (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey are paying for me to get my Childhood Development Associate.

ConsWhere should I start?

There is so much disconnect between what happens in the classroom and the decisions corporate makes that running a classroom as it should becomes very difficult.

They want you do do curriculum but they don't want to pay for supplies.

They want you do follow all kinds of ridiculous policies and do all kinds of little things that don't make sense. If you keep up with all those things it makes it hard to actually get things done for the kids. You can not have any overtime yet they don't give you any planning period. The only downtime is nap time but you have an endless list of things to accomplish it's impossible to get everything done.

The center directors are awful about favoritism. If there are complaints about a teacher's attitude towards the kids & parents it will be ignored because the teacher is friends with the director.

They spend a lot of money on promotional items that the parents just throw away. It's like the company will spend money on everything but their teachers.

I could go on and on but there is no point. A lot has changed in the 5 years I've worked for the company but things keep getting worse. I would quit but then they would stop paying for my CDA classes and I can't afford that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on pointless things and invest in your teachers. Giving them adequate raises will make them happier and will help them put time and effort back into the company.

Very stressfull, multi-tasking constantly. Great management! director great pay

Preschool Teacher (Former Employee)
Farmington, CT

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe salary is the best around for childcare. The children and families are wonderful. The hours are long and 9 hour days with an hour for lunch not an option no flex time. Must be flexible in your hours.

ConsStressfull working conditions, Taking attendance every half hour. Giving children medicine - no nurse or manager to do this. no privacy for the students with regard to medication administration. Not accredited and high price for parents to pay not being accredited , but staff is well-trained and provides loving, safe care.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a nurse to administer medication or do it yourself. it should not be being done by teachers who are responsible for all the other children at the same time and the student should have privacy with regard to his health issues.

Children were unruly and a lot of the field trips were cancelled due to the budget. The age range was too big.

School Age Teacher (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsVery diverse group of children, all the teachers were friendly and helpful

ConsLow pay, I made $10 an hr and I had a degree ( BA in Psych/HDFS) children were not allowed to be disciplined, budget was really tight, curriculum was not interesting so the children got bored easily. Age range was too big ages 4-12 were in the same classroom

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at things from your teachers point of view and try to help them as much as you can and don't forget that you were once a teacher.

not a bad place to work

Lead Toddler Teacher (Former Employee)
Nashua, NH

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe directors were great and it had a very nice playground

Conshours get cut as soon as numbers drop

First Out of College Teaching Position and the Worst Job

Lead Teacher II (3 5-4 5 Years Old) (Former Employee)
East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsGot to make a difference in children's lives. Met an amazing group of children. First Teaching Job to land

ConsEverything else. The center was understaffed almost everyday. I was in the class of 3.5-4.5 years old where the ration is 1:10. So often they would push the kids on me. I would usually have 11 to 12 in the class. And my center director would tell me that I’m fine. Yet the teacher next door had the same ratio and she couldn’t possibly be over 10 or it would be the end of the world. What is this discrimination? There was definitely favoritism in this place. They drastically dropped my hours one month. The center Director said that she was over on labor hours, as her reason. My shift went from 8 hours per day to 4-5 hours. Yet other staff were getting full shifts. What is this? You say you’re short on hours but yet you have to give full shifts to others. Please give me a break. The Kindergarten teacher whose ratio is 1:15 only had 4 students in her class and she had full work days. In the meantime I have a full class and my hours get cut. I am not going to be like the Kindergarten teacher who kisses behinds by spending her lunch breaks in the Directors Office. No thanks I have better things to do. And when I tried to reach out to Corporation on issues it was impossible to reach them. They do not have a direct phone number or email for Human Resources and anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seeing what working with children really means. It is not pushing the kids around in classrooms just to save money.And pushing the children on teachers; putting them over ratio. Just to save money. You obviously don't care about the children.

teacher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbonding with families, watching kids learn and grow, good teamwork

Conssent home when ratio low or put in other rooms

Do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsNone, i am not able to think of any.

ConsNo help from center management, no breaks.You are on your own in class with 18-20 kids.

Advice to Senior Managementtake some common sense classes

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindercare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Kindercare employees.