Kindercare
www.kindercare.com 5000+ Employees

Kindercare Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Kindercare – Fairfax – “teacher boards”

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow

Elanna S. Yalow

Pros:
  • "Working with children infant - school age is truly a rewarding experience"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Got to make a difference in children's lives"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "low pay, not many chances to move up within company"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

teacher

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbonding with families, watching kids learn and grow, good teamwork

Conssent home when ratio low or put in other rooms

Do

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsNone, i am not able to think of any.

ConsNo help from center management, no breaks.You are on your own in class with 18-20 kids.

Advice to Senior Managementtake some common sense classes

Nightmare

Teacher (Former Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no pros working for this company. Just a lot of cons.

ConsKids you cannot give time outs to when they're really bad. No breaks unless its your lunch break. Two faced coworkers that are nice to you one minute then attack you behind your back. Management sucks, They don't care about the employees. I had an ear infection and my boss wanted me to come in for only 2 hours. Really?

teacher

Child Development Teacher (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe children are awesome and this is the only reason I stayed for so long.

ConsManagement raises tuition and never gives the backbone any pay raises. I have not received a pay raise in over ten years. I make 12/hr when glass door says I should be receiving between 14-16/hr.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are too greedy to listen to any ones advice and too cheap to invest in the children.

I only stayed for the children and families.

Assistant Director (Former Employee)
Westchester, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow

Conslow pay, not many chances to move up within company

Chaotic, confusing, and no consistency

Teacher III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time

ProsMy Coworkers were awesome. I also enjoyed working with the multiple age groups within the center.

ConsThe classroom management was not good. I couldn't set up a healthy environment because I was moved around so much. Whatever I did set up was not enforced by others, or was invalidated by my bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a PBS support system in your schools. Have some consistent rules and expectations throughout the centers. Also, allow center directors to follow through with whatever the consequences are for serious behavior issues.

1.5 Years of Full Time Employment

Lead Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsGetting to know the kids and watching them learn new things every day.

ConsMost days you are made to sit off the clock for at least 30 minutes past the start of your shift because you aren't actually needed yet.

Not allowed to take days off or leave early because we are always short staffed. Favorites are allowed to take days off, letting classrooms out of ratio.

Getting as little as 15 minutes of overtime is a HUGE deal unless you're a favorite who is allowed to have overtime.

Constantly having classrooms out of ratio in order to keep teachers off the clock.

Not allowed to disenroll highly aggressive children because full time enrollments are too important.

Staff members are allowed to disrespect each other in front of the kids.

Bathroom breaks are not always given.

Pay is very low for what is expected of the teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone is treated equally, pay teachers a fair wage, and ensure centers have enough hours to keep classrooms in ratio.

Not the best career for a young professional

Assistant Director/School Administrator (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsMy director was awesome and very helpful... she was the reason I stayed as long as I did.

ConsLow salary, District Manager doesn't care about employees, center is constantly understaffed and District Manager does not support Director and Asst. Director like they should, District Manager only cares about profit not people

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of caring so much about profit, invest in your employees so they stick with you to not have such high turnover amongst staff. Give vacation and sick time before 1 year tenure.

Horrible management and lots of drama!

Care Giver (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with children and really that is all. I had a few great co-workers that made the job a little better. But there is too much drama here!

ConsThe pay here is very low. What I was told I would be making and what I actually made were very different. My director was absolutely horrible. Even her boss was horrible. I had many complaints about my director and the district manager did nothing about it. The drama at this place is outrageous. The assistant director would talk bad about the director and other staff. The director did the same thing. They are unfair. Some people could text the assistant director to let her know that they would not be at work, and others would call the actual daycare to let her know and she would write those people up! All about favorites. There are also plenty of days that I had to work from 7:30 to 6 because they never have enough workers, or she would send home her favorites first.I should have listened to others when they told me to stay away from this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and if they have a concern about the director at least look into it!

Don't work there, don't even send your children there. The system is broke and needs fixing.

I worked at Kindercare

ProsThe children! i enjoyed the experience of bonding with, and working with them.

ConsBad directors, no bathroom breaks, inconsistent hours, low pay, no benefits, no support/over ratio, classroom shuffling, no time to clean classroom or wash linens. Too much daily paperwork to fill out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood teachers are leaving or being let go, parents are taking their children out of the centers for greener pastures. You know what's wrong, so instead of being money hungry and money driven, fix it. Also hire better, more mature directors.

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindercare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Kindercare employees.