Kindercare Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
2.3

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 10 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 16 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with the kids in a great learning enviornment

Cons

Management did not offer enough breaks

More support Needed for Center Directors

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for growth with the company such as moving up from a teacher to management position or opportunities to work with the National Support Center. The children and families are wonderful and it is a great mix of being able to interact with children and be a manager. The company has a world-class curriculum developed by early childhood experts and the company is a huge advocate for advancements in early childhood education. Company is committed to providing high-quality care and achieving national accreditation. Company leadership is very inspiring and forward thinking. The company has good benefits for staff.

Cons

There is little to no support in recruiting of high-quality teachers. Centers often do not receive support when they are short staffed and are still expected to enroll more children even when they don't have the staff to support it. Center Directors and Assistant Directors are expected to work in classrooms when short on staff instead of using substitute companies for help. National Support Center departments do not seem to be educated on the realities of day to day operations in a center and don't seem to care about what goes on at the field level even though the field level is the way the company makes money. Even though the company leadership is very inspiring, their message and vision for the company does not seem to be getting executed in the field.

KinderCare/Knowledge Universe needs to do more to support centers with recruiting of high-quality teachers and need to be willing to compensate accordingly for that quality. The company needs to allow centers to use reputable substitute teacher companies when short staffed so current teachers feel supported with consistent help and managers are able to do their jobs. Center Directors are not able to grow their businesses properly if they are in classrooms so often. The company needs to compensate employees better across the board. Center Directors have an enormous amount of responsibility and stress put on them and should be paid accordingly. Executive team needs to find a way to make sure their vision is getting executed in the field.

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Center Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Something's that were good about working here are the kids and families you come to know, support & love. The company does a lot of lower level jobs promotion.

Cons

Some challenges are the wage, especially if you have a degree or certification, work hours during holidays & not receiving PTO until after a year of service.

Better benefits, increase your hourly wages, appreciate your staff more & promote more for higher level positions from within as well as much as you do assistant & program specialist positions.

Management needs some work

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary I received, which seems to be better than most, seemed fair for the industry.
    They offer good medical benefits since many preschools do not offer any.
    As with any business some management teams are better than others.
    Most of the teachers truly care about the children but that should be an expectation if they are working with children.
    My efforts were recognized and my raise displayed that. Again, a lot depends on the management team.

Cons

Unfortunately those teachers that have infant/toddler units are pigeon hole into those age groups. Regardless of the fact you may be teaching another age group you are continually being pulled back into that age group because it takes specialized units to work with this age group. KinderCare does nothing to promote it's employees even if you directly ask the distract manager. Sad!

Lesson plans are out of a book created by those without degrees in the field, which leaves little creativity for the teachers. The are NOT child directed schools, actually very far from it.

Art boards have to meet corporate standards and you can only use specific colors and layouts. Very institutional and is not geared towards the child. Additionally, many directors do not have the formal education you would expect for someone solely responsible for running a center. But, in all fairness KinderCare is not the only company that directors do not have a formal education.

Breaks are not consistent, although you get paid for missed breaks, that is not the point. Teachers can't leave the room as it is they deserve to have their breaks and got off at their scheduled times.

Directors and upper management should have Child Development background and realize that preschools should be for the children. But, most preschools unfortunately don't believe this philosophy.

Too big to care about the kinder.

I worked at Kindercare

Pros

Loved working with the kids. A smile from a little face makes everything seem better.

Cons

The company grew and grew and lost focus of what was important, children and families. They pay as little as they can and they get what they pay for. This job is not worth the stress that comes with it.

Listen to your employees. Happy employees are what make happy customers. You want a successful child care center, keep your employees happy.

A tolerable job for the hours and pay...

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok benefits,hours, some coworkers were really nice, management understood work/life balance and tried their best to work with employees schedules

Cons

The things that Corporate lays out for teachers to do throughout the day is a VERY fast paced curriculum, especially for the younger groups like the Toddlers and Discovery Preschool. Too much to do and never enough time. If you want to get ahead, plan on coming early and staying late, or i guess you could just never take a break when you're at work. When i was extremely stressed in my room and needed a break, nothing was done. There were MANY times when I was overwhelmed and not much was done to fix it, I was on my own. There was SO MUCH expected of us and we poured our heart and soul into our classrooms and kids, but yet received no praise or any sort of rewards, monetary or otherwise.
    Another thing that bothered me was some of the people they hired. You may ask yourself, " How in the world did that person get a job here?" No offense to those who do not speak English well, but in working at a daycare, and any place really, when you are taking care of kids and talking to parents you NEED to be able to speak English well. Perhaps not fluently, but well enough so people can hold a conversation. Some of the people management hired should have lost their jobs a LONG time before anything was done about it, though employees kept bringing it up, they did not do anything until it was absolutely necessary.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is the juggling of kids. To save money on staffing teachers, they would just move kids up or down rooms in order to keep the numbers within ratio so you would only need one teacher. But the parents are paying for a certain class right? Their kids are a certain age, and should have age appropriate learning, right? Wrong. Guess that doesn't matter. They always try and maximize their profits with little consideration for the teachers whom it directly affects. Shoving 13 toddlers into a small room just because the max is 14 is what they aim for. They sent up infants to the toddler room just because of age, NOT because they were developmentally ready, including being able to WALK, or at least crawl.
    All in all, working there was exhausting but sometimes rewarding because you can make a difference in kids' lives, if you don't burn out first.

Listen to your staff and understand where THEY are coming from. THEY are in the classrooms ALL the time, while you are not. Acknowledge those who do good, solid work and take initiative instead of those who get away with everything, you may have a happier staff. It helps to have management that is very encouraging and understanding because childcare is very stressful and hectic.

I love interacting with the children and talking to parents.

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are the best part of the day. They always let you know that you are appreciated.

Cons

Some of the challenges are finding enough time in your day to get your curriculum done. Also, it is a high stress job.

I have really good management at my center so the only thing I would say we need is some perks like free lunch every once in a while.

Average childcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, corporate emphasis on education, benefits package is ok, staff seem to really care about each other

Cons

Too much time spent on watching hours and not enough on training teachers, more of a child care service than a school

You get out what you're willing to put in. Give teachers more time to prep and do their jobs well.

OK experience

Current Employee - Assistant Center Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, able to bring my child with me to work

Cons

Disorganized, poor training, low employee morale

Loved working at KinderCare, left only due to relocation

Former Employee - Center Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Center Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Child care discount, autonomy, resources, support, benefits

Cons

The only challenges were the ones that are industry wide.

I loved how much flexibility and autonomy was extended to directors, and therefore could be extended to staff. If centers were performing well good things came to you. I am with Bright Horizons now and I regret there are no KinderCare centers in my area; KinderCare was by far a superior place to work!

Kindercare Photos