Kindercare

Updated January 28, 2015
2.2

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 11 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 17 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Forced to lie

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindercare

Pros

I had a job which paid a (pathetic) salary.

Cons

I was forced to lie. I never had enough supplies. Never had enough staff to actually teach children. When parents were unhappy we were supposed to tell them anything to just make them happy, even if we had no intention of following up on what we had promised. Fellow teachers were dumb and many lacked common sense. Curriculum got in the way of individualized teaching. I could never teach or play with kids because I was too busy cleaning or filling out paperwork. Kids spent a lot of time waiting rather than learning and playing. I was forced to lie about DCFS regulation and violations. We had many times we were not compliant with NAEYC guidelines but we just lied. When parents had concerns we were encouraged to reassure them that they were not valid, even when they were. For example, pretend a kid who appears depressed is always happy, never tell a parent their child cried more than 2 minutes at drop-off, etc. This means a parent is unable to take an active role in solving the problem and working towards a solution. Oh wait, the director's answer to every parent request is always "we can't do that" "that is against the rules" (even if its not), and essentially "its our way or the highway."

Put children first. Don't move them between rooms because you are short staffed - hire enough staff instead! Always have at least two teachers in a room at any given time because one teacher can't be in two places at once and inevitably there were always situations that required a second set of hands. Give us supplies and a budget that is reasonable to allow us to do our job. Tell parents the truth. It is better for them to hear it from the start than to realize you have been lying to them all along. When parents are unhappy, listen to why. Be open to their feedback.

Awful job

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sweet kids, great families and tight staff team

Cons

Center Directors are abused, forced to work long days and weekends, constantly criticized and forced to push classes together to keep ratios up and cut teacher hours. They're exoected to perform miracles and get a million things done in the center with no help and no extra hours from teachers.

Put your ADs and teachers on salary, give them planning time and care more about the quality than you do about the bottom line. Families will respond to that.

Long hours

Current Employee - Pk Teacher in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Pk Teacher in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Kindercare

Pros

No to much some days off if requested

Cons

Long hours low pay no discipline

Don't Risk Your Future

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kindercare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for college students

Cons

Hours, pay, experience, abusive parents, abusive kids, no support for behavior or special needs kids and ratios are a joke.

Admit it. You want to make as much money as possible. Pay your employees as little as possible and spend pennies for supplies. You are not an educational environment but a child coat check warehouse.

Getting through "educational program" is a joke. They'll sling many ages together to send staff home. Hope it is warm outside so ratios increase. Good luck having your "experience" count in the real world.

No support

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's bad that I cannot come up with anything off the top of my head. Ten years ago I would have been able to list 25 things... now I can't even come up with one anymore.

Cons

I work in the school age classroom and do not have a steady second teacher. 90% of the time it is the CD or the AD and I am left alone with 20+ kids because they need to tend to other things in the building. I also have multiple behavior issues in my classroom. When I try to correct these children, I am hit, kicked, punched, spit on and completely disrespected. When I bring my concerns to center management, I'm told they cannot hire a steady teacher to work with me because they "don't have the labor hours" and when I suggest disciplinary actions for the behavior issues, they don't do anything because they "can't afford to lose enrollment". I have also recently been denied benefit coverage for the next year because the company switched providers and I have a pre-existing condition. I have been covered for more than 6 years with the company and this condition was just diagnosed within the last year, but now that they are going with a cheaper option, I cannot be covered anymore.

Re-evaluate your labor tools in order to allow management to properly staff their center. Take employee morale into consideration and stop caring about numbers so much. If your employees are happy, your centers would be fully enrolled because they teachers are the ones who have constant communication with the families.

Greedy Animals!

Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None remain thanks to Knowledge Universe!! They turned an education company into a "lie to parents & staff to earn more $$!!" Organization.

Cons

Parents are lead to believe that their children need &/or will benefit from tutorials...it's all a ploy to rape them of more $! They no longer allow children to receive additional food for breakfast or lunch or snacks in an attempt to cut costs! They fire management for running child-centered/focused schools-instead they rather cut labor to the bare minimum & bump children btwn classes so there is no consistancy or ability to learn!!! Stay as far away from this company as possible - unless you are a mindless puppet that can be controled to be unethical!!

How about a shovelful of integrity?? Maybe a bucketful of ethics!?? How about just being honest?? Instead of terming employees based on lies & false documentation?? A multi-year director with a stellar record being written up 10 times in 6 weeks with "refused to sign" ECMs!!! I would NEVER trust them with my child or career!!!

Director is a money pusher

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved he families and the children I watched grow!

Cons

Schedule, rude and disrespectful directors, little done to help advance(even when qualified for higher positions).

Listen to your Teachers, Staff and Families it is these people that allow centers to thrive and remain open.

There are much better options for employment and childcare

Former Employee - Teacher in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits were ok at best.

Cons

Unreliable management
    Sporadic hours
    Dirty
    Low wages

If you value sanity...don't apply here.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule (when there's enough staff)
    Co-workers
    Laid back dress code
    Children and parents
    College reimbursement

I learned a lot working here from teachers and parents. I enjoyed all the teachers I had the pleasure to work with and the assistant director is amazing! Although the hours were inconsistent, if you had an appointment or have school, they try to accommodate you. They also offer CDA classes free of charge to you after a year of service and if you keep working for them.

The parents were awesome! Very understanding and concerned with the staff, always friendly and enjoyed listening about their child's day.

Decent enough pay but I've seen other centers that paid $14+ for lead teachers.

Cons

Long hours
    Horrible management
    Corporate switches policies like crazy
    Have to read district managers mind
    Lie to potential parents
    Dirty!!!

I've worked at another daycare center (Kiddie Academy) and was horrified to switch to this place...it's filthy! The director prides herself in being "clean" but if you looked at other centers, you would see that corporate ignores the many times they've complained about how dirty it is and how the cleaning crew are lazy. The director doesn't bother to buy cleaning products either..expects you to be a maid and scrub on your hands and knees.

Management seems to be passive-aggressive which I don't understand, even the director has admitted to avoiding parents because of conflicts...what kind of team leader is that?! If you try to stand up for yourself, be ready to be bullied and harassed constantly. Sometimes, we had to twist stories or lie to parents about things that happened to their kids. It's awful! The district manager wants you to read his mind, he's rarely around and expects you to just know how to run the room/apply lessons. All the walls are monotone and boring...no color whatsoever.

The food is horrible and garbage; you pay so much for your kids tuition and they feed them processed, bland and flavorless cheap food they get from US FOODS. I can understand why some parents bring in lunch for their children. When I first started, they actually had a chef and the food was decent. Now it tastes like cardboard and bothers the children's digestive systems.

The hours are horrible...unless you're a "pet" you get long hours with long breaks. Even if you ask to switch or reduce your hours they give you a guilt trip or avoid the situation rather than remedying it. There wasn't much turn over but those poor ladies stay for "loyalty", which Kindercare hasn't really shown back to them.

Corporate says we go over hours yet are desperately trying to fill a center to capacity...we can't even get enough teachers! The children are slushed around so the favorite teachers can go home early while there's two year olds, three year olds and above are mixed together. They consistency break DCFS rules and run around like cockroaches when we have visitors so it seems like we're up to par. So, where is the money going Kindercare, hmm? You're just another horrible and devious corporation but you pray on families and children. This place is ATROCIOUS.

Worst company to work for in my life

Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING co-workers at my location.

Cons

- Above the pay grade of most day cares but still awful.
    - Don't bother with benefits - they're pricey with awful coverage and extremely high deductibles. Employer contributes no money to HSA (my prior jobs did).
    - The management, or lack there of are the most rude and robotic group of individuals I've ever met and I've worked at several KLC's. You are looked at as a body to fill a room, a person to keep the room in ratio, nothing more.
    - Zero communication between management and staff, and even the managers don't communicate well with each other.
    - Hours are either always cut or you have a ton of over time - there's absolutely no consistency or organization.
    - Children never stay enrolled. I have never worked in a daycare where kids are constantly dropping.
    - Extremely outdated classrooms and center choices for the children.
    - EVERY CENTER IS FILTHY!!! They're so concerned about being NECPA accredited and wanting to be NAEYC they don't stress cleanliness. I guess the Health Department doesn't care much either anymore.
    - KLC keeps closing centers throughout the nation. WONDER WHY!?

Quit listening to corporate who is ran by primarily retail background employees, and actually get into a classroom to observe and connect with teachers.

Kindercare Photos