Kindercare

Updated August 14, 2014

2.3

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 9 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 14 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst 2 years of my professional life

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Bristol, PA

Pros

Knowing that each day spent with your students is a day making a difference in their life

Cons

I was new to work in a daycare setting. I had never implemented curriculum and was not even told I would need to implement curriculum in the job interview. I was poorly trained and never told exactly what was expected of me on a day to day basis until my center director was fired. Once the new director was introduced I was immediately reprimanded and my job was threatened. I found this very confusing being as I was totally unaware that I was NOT doing my job correctly. After correcting my job performance I was placed in a lead teacher role. I had too many children in my classroom and was CONSTANTLY over ratio. I had multiple behavior issues in my room. I was getting spit on, kicked and watching my other children get choked by the other children with behavior issues. I was repeatedly as asking for help from both my Center Director and Assistant Director. All pleas for help were ignored. Most stressful job I ever had for a pay rate of 9.00 an hour! All about Full Time Enrollments and NOT the safety of the children

Pay better. This is an extremely stressful yet important job. Offer better support to your employees. Really this needs to be told to corporate NOT management. I feel as though management does the best they can with what means they are working with

Out with the old in with the new!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

Pros

Taking care of children was rewarding. Met a lot of great parents and co-workers over my many years. Location close to home.

Cons

Where do I start! It was great for the most part until new management, Center Director and District Manager came along. They found reasons to let go of good employees. Don't speak what you think or your gone and I don't mean anything that was rude or horrible just the facts. Management was horrible and they say they are compassionate and care but only for their advancement. The Center Director was rude and demeaning if she did not like you., to the point of totally ignoring you. When paper work becomes more important then taking care of the children something is wrong. The employees are their for the children after all. The pay was not the best.

Wake up and get rid of Directors and District Managers that are not working towards the better of the company but for their own satisfaction.

love the kids and teachers but hate the way it is run

Current Employee - Daycare Teacher
    Current Employee - Daycare Teacher

Pros

Love watching the children learn and grow.Most of the teachers are great to work with. Lots of wonderful parents.

Cons

No swings, bouncy seats or exersaucers for infants. Highchairs were replaced by lowchairs so the babies touch eachothers food. Very unhealthy lots of germs spread. Babies on the floor pulling hair and scratching eachother. They only care about money.

Ask teachers and parent what is best for the children not someone sitting behind a desk thats never worked with children.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Boss`

Former Employee - Assistant Director  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Memphis, TN

Pros

I loved working with the kids, they were what truly made the job enjoyable.

Cons

My boss was horrible. She was more concerned about numbers than the children. She would have me make her food from the kitchen and then get mad if anyone else did the same. If we put coffee out for the parents, staff was not permitted to drink it. If someone else covered for you on your day off, you were still responsible for their actions. The extra learning classes (spanish, cooking) never happend like they were supposed to, parents paid extra for these classes but because of poor scheduling, an entire class would receive the class because I had to do it for everyone not just the few who paid for it.

Focus on the children and get better management.

Keep Looking

Former Employee - Kindergarten Teacher  in  Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in Folsom, CA

Pros

The children. Thats about it. No one goes into preschool education thinking that its going to be easy or lucrative, but the best thing from the day is the children -- if only teachers of the youngest were appreciated.

Cons

I left because of the lack of timing payment of overtime. when you make so little, that extra is essential in making ends meat. It was not a warm place to work, but rather you felt the stress of a corporation EVEN though the focus should be the children.

Support your teachers without talking about the monetary bottom-line you have to deal with. If you didnt make your enrollment quota, then support your teachers not share the administrative pressures on them. Its poor management.

Amazing

Current Employee - Co Lead Teacher  in  Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Co Lead Teacher in Sterling, VA

Pros

Great kids, co-workers, mgt, good pay, fun environment

Cons

switching your schedule some days. For instance, I usually worked from 9-6 but sometimes I would have to pull a different shift.

Consider paying lead teachers a bit more. Especially, since they are writing lesson plans.

Many Pros and Many Cons

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Niskayuna, NY

Pros

Students are wonderful. Some staff is supportive.

Cons

Higher level management. Limited ability to move up in the company.

Promote from within. Support staff. Listen to our concerns and tailor staff development to their needs, not the same thing every time.

Underpaid teenagers doing a bad job

Former Employee - Lead Infant Teacher  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

i cant think of any

Cons

minimum wage attracts teenagers who don't care, i would never put my kid in daycare after working here.

pay a good salary to attract adults with experience and education

Unmotivated teachers, terrible salaries, lots of turn over.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

It's a great place to meet the occasional like-minded motivated teacher. They provide free continuing education. They have forced me to expand my creativity.

Cons

Corporate stifles any real creativity at every turn. I've seen teachers be borderline abusive toward children and management turns a blind eye. Pay is abysmal.

Allow your teachers to flex their creative muscle. Consider raising average teacher salary.

Maturing

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Springfield, VA

Pros

I love working with the kids and being apart of their lives.

Cons

Sometimes the communication could be better.

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!