Kindercare

Updated November 19, 2014
2.3

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 10 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 16 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company to work for in my life

Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AMAZING co-workers at my location.

Cons

- Above the pay grade of most day cares but still awful.
    - Don't bother with benefits - they're pricey with awful coverage and extremely high deductibles. Employer contributes no money to HSA (my prior jobs did).
    - The management, or lack there of are the most rude and robotic group of individuals I've ever met and I've worked at several KLC's. You are looked at as a body to fill a room, a person to keep the room in ratio, nothing more.
    - Zero communication between management and staff, and even the managers don't communicate well with each other.
    - Hours are either always cut or you have a ton of over time - there's absolutely no consistency or organization.
    - Children never stay enrolled. I have never worked in a daycare where kids are constantly dropping.
    - Extremely outdated classrooms and center choices for the children.
    - EVERY CENTER IS FILTHY!!! They're so concerned about being NECPA accredited and wanting to be NAEYC they don't stress cleanliness. I guess the Health Department doesn't care much either anymore.
    - KLC keeps closing centers throughout the nation. WONDER WHY!?

Quit listening to corporate who is ran by primarily retail background employees, and actually get into a classroom to observe and connect with teachers.

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One pro is that you work closely with other teachers which can lead to meaningful friendships. The children were also a lot of fun. Unfortunately that is where this list ends.

Cons

Basically zero paid days off (neither personal or sick days) and very little pay. We were expected to be at work even during snow storms that left the city shut down (and no public transportation). There is very little autonomy for management. Most co-workers were just scraping by and trying to get through each day.

All the reviews sound like my center, going down hill fast

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love all the children and parents. Many families have been with us for a long time. I have worked at this center for 11 years. Its nice to have the vacation time for being here so long.

Cons

All the things I have read in the reviews sounds like my center. We had the best center when I first started. All the changes have brought us down. They think change is good but its not working. They are making our job more difficult. We are suposed to be there for the children but all they care about is the corrporation.

Say good morning to your employees and tell them thank you once in a while. Go around and ask if anyone needs anything.

I love interacting with the children and talking to parents.

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are the best part of the day. They always let you know that you are appreciated.

Cons

Some of the challenges are finding enough time in your day to get your curriculum done. Also, it is a high stress job.

I have really good management at my center so the only thing I would say we need is some perks like free lunch every once in a while.

Stay Away!
    Don't be fooled by the pretty talk about how they are employee centric!

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Trying to make a difference in a child's life ... If they let you!
    It's all about the money for them.

Cons

They have a revolving door in field leadership. Just fired the best Regional I ever worked because they didn't like him as a person.

Talk to the people in the field before you make leadership moves.
    Stop assuming and start knowing what's happening.
    The first great leader we have ever had and you get rid of him.

Downhill quickly

Former Employee - Prekindergarten Teacher in Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Prekindergarten Teacher in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaching a comprehensive curriculum. Coworkers understand struggles and support each other.

Cons

People become so afraid of being the next person management will gossip about to their coworkers or families. Expected to work over breaks, and encouraged to finish work unpaid during weekends, just to stay current. Amount of work required of lead teachers exceeds hours in a day, and more work is constantly being added to list. Management also does not step in to help- but trains staff by letting them figure it out.

Know the law. It is illegal to be sharing so much private information. Employees health records and performance reviews should only be shared to that employee. Families that attend the center also deserve our respect and privacy, they are not just pay checks.

A tolerable job for the hours and pay...

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok benefits,hours, some coworkers were really nice, management understood work/life balance and tried their best to work with employees schedules

Cons

The things that Corporate lays out for teachers to do throughout the day is a VERY fast paced curriculum, especially for the younger groups like the Toddlers and Discovery Preschool. Too much to do and never enough time. If you want to get ahead, plan on coming early and staying late, or i guess you could just never take a break when you're at work. When i was extremely stressed in my room and needed a break, nothing was done. There were MANY times when I was overwhelmed and not much was done to fix it, I was on my own. There was SO MUCH expected of us and we poured our heart and soul into our classrooms and kids, but yet received no praise or any sort of rewards, monetary or otherwise.
    Another thing that bothered me was some of the people they hired. You may ask yourself, " How in the world did that person get a job here?" No offense to those who do not speak English well, but in working at a daycare, and any place really, when you are taking care of kids and talking to parents you NEED to be able to speak English well. Perhaps not fluently, but well enough so people can hold a conversation. Some of the people management hired should have lost their jobs a LONG time before anything was done about it, though employees kept bringing it up, they did not do anything until it was absolutely necessary.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is the juggling of kids. To save money on staffing teachers, they would just move kids up or down rooms in order to keep the numbers within ratio so you would only need one teacher. But the parents are paying for a certain class right? Their kids are a certain age, and should have age appropriate learning, right? Wrong. Guess that doesn't matter. They always try and maximize their profits with little consideration for the teachers whom it directly affects. Shoving 13 toddlers into a small room just because the max is 14 is what they aim for. They sent up infants to the toddler room just because of age, NOT because they were developmentally ready, including being able to WALK, or at least crawl.
    All in all, working there was exhausting but sometimes rewarding because you can make a difference in kids' lives, if you don't burn out first.

Listen to your staff and understand where THEY are coming from. THEY are in the classrooms ALL the time, while you are not. Acknowledge those who do good, solid work and take initiative instead of those who get away with everything, you may have a happier staff. It helps to have management that is very encouraging and understanding because childcare is very stressful and hectic.

Would be better with better management

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here was only tolerable because of this children. And most of the families were pretty great too.

Cons

The center director was wildly unqualified. We got zero to no help from corporate when any issues arose. No one really knew what was expected of them and yet, everyone was told they weren't meeting expectations.

Know what's going on in each center. Hire directors that actually know what they are doing. A lot of cattiness and favoritism was going on at the hand of the under-qualified director and her asinine assistant,.

Average childcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, corporate emphasis on education, benefits package is ok, staff seem to really care about each other

Cons

Too much time spent on watching hours and not enough on training teachers, more of a child care service than a school

You get out what you're willing to put in. Give teachers more time to prep and do their jobs well.

OK experience

Current Employee - Assistant Center Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, able to bring my child with me to work

Cons

Disorganized, poor training, low employee morale

Kindercare Photos