Kindercare

Employer Engaged

Greedy Animals!

Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None remain thanks to Knowledge Universe!! They turned an education company into a "lie to parents & staff to earn more $$!!" Organization.

Cons

Parents are lead to believe that their children need &/or will benefit from tutorials...it's all a ploy to rape them of more $! They no longer allow children to receive additional food for breakfast or lunch or snacks in an attempt to cut costs! They fire management for running child-centered/focused schools-instead they rather cut labor to the bare minimum & bump children btwn classes so there is no consistancy or ability to learn!!! Stay as far away from this company as possible - unless you are a mindless puppet that can be controled to be unethical!!

How about a shovelful of integrity?? Maybe a bucketful of ethics!?? How about just being honest?? Instead of terming employees based on lies & false documentation?? A multi-year director with a stellar record being written up 10 times in 6 weeks with "refused to sign" ECMs!!! I would NEVER trust them with my child or career!!!

More support Needed for Center Directors

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for growth with the company such as moving up from a teacher to management position or opportunities to work with the National Support Center. The children and families are wonderful and it is a great mix of being able to interact with children and be a manager. The company has a world-class curriculum developed by early childhood experts and the company is a huge advocate for advancements in early childhood education. Company is committed to providing high-quality care and achieving national accreditation. Company leadership is very inspiring and forward thinking. The company has good benefits for staff.

Cons

There is little to no support in recruiting of high-quality teachers. Centers often do not receive support when they are short staffed and are still expected to enroll more children even when they don't have the staff to support it. Center Directors and Assistant Directors are expected to work in classrooms when short on staff instead of using substitute companies for help. National Support Center departments do not seem to be educated on the realities of day to day operations in a center and don't seem to care about what goes on at the field level even though the field level is the way the company makes money. Even though the company leadership is very inspiring, their message and vision for the company does not seem to be getting executed in the field.

KinderCare/Knowledge Universe needs to do more to support centers with recruiting of high-quality teachers and need to be willing to compensate accordingly for that quality. The company needs to allow centers to use reputable substitute teacher companies when short staffed so current teachers feel supported with consistent help and managers are able to do their jobs. Center Directors are not able to grow their businesses properly if they are in classrooms so often. The company needs to compensate employees better across the board. Center Directors have an enormous amount of responsibility and stress put on them and should be paid accordingly. Executive team needs to find a way to make sure their vision is getting executed in the field.

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Center Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Something's that were good about working here are the kids and families you come to know, support & love. The company does a lot of lower level jobs promotion.

Cons

Some challenges are the wage, especially if you have a degree or certification, work hours during holidays & not receiving PTO until after a year of service.

Better benefits, increase your hourly wages, appreciate your staff more & promote more for higher level positions from within as well as much as you do assistant & program specialist positions.

Great job

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the kids in a great learning enviornment

Cons

Management did not offer enough breaks

Management needs some work

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The salary I received, which seems to be better than most, seemed fair for the industry.
    They offer good medical benefits since many preschools do not offer any.
    As with any business some management teams are better than others.
    Most of the teachers truly care about the children but that should be an expectation if they are working with children.
    My efforts were recognized and my raise displayed that. Again, a lot depends on the management team.

Cons

Unfortunately those teachers that have infant/toddler units are pigeon hole into those age groups. Regardless of the fact you may be teaching another age group you are continually being pulled back into that age group because it takes specialized units to work with this age group. KinderCare does nothing to promote it's employees even if you directly ask the distract manager. Sad!

Lesson plans are out of a book created by those without degrees in the field, which leaves little creativity for the teachers. The are NOT child directed schools, actually very far from it.

Art boards have to meet corporate standards and you can only use specific colors and layouts. Very institutional and is not geared towards the child. Additionally, many directors do not have the formal education you would expect for someone solely responsible for running a center. But, in all fairness KinderCare is not the only company that directors do not have a formal education.

Breaks are not consistent, although you get paid for missed breaks, that is not the point. Teachers can't leave the room as it is they deserve to have their breaks and got off at their scheduled times.

Directors and upper management should have Child Development background and realize that preschools should be for the children. But, most preschools unfortunately don't believe this philosophy.

Director is a money pusher

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved he families and the children I watched grow!

Cons

Schedule, rude and disrespectful directors, little done to help advance(even when qualified for higher positions).

Listen to your Teachers, Staff and Families it is these people that allow centers to thrive and remain open.

If you value sanity...don't apply here.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule (when there's enough staff)
    Co-workers
    Laid back dress code
    Children and parents
    College reimbursement

I learned a lot working here from teachers and parents. I enjoyed all the teachers I had the pleasure to work with and the assistant director is amazing! Although the hours were inconsistent, if you had an appointment or have school, they try to accommodate you. They also offer CDA classes free of charge to you after a year of service and if you keep working for them.

The parents were awesome! Very understanding and concerned with the staff, always friendly and enjoyed listening about their child's day.

Decent enough pay but I've seen other centers that paid $14+ for lead teachers.

Cons

Long hours
    Horrible management
    Corporate switches policies like crazy
    Have to read district managers mind
    Lie to potential parents
    Dirty!!!

I've worked at another daycare center (Kiddie Academy) and was horrified to switch to this place...it's filthy! The director prides herself in being "clean" but if you looked at other centers, you would see that corporate ignores the many times they've complained about how dirty it is and how the cleaning crew are lazy. The director doesn't bother to buy cleaning products either..expects you to be a maid and scrub on your hands and knees.

Management seems to be passive-aggressive which I don't understand, even the director has admitted to avoiding parents because of conflicts...what kind of team leader is that?! If you try to stand up for yourself, be ready to be bullied and harassed constantly. Sometimes, we had to twist stories or lie to parents about things that happened to their kids. It's awful! The district manager wants you to read his mind, he's rarely around and expects you to just know how to run the room/apply lessons. All the walls are monotone and boring...no color whatsoever.

The food is horrible and garbage; you pay so much for your kids tuition and they feed them processed, bland and flavorless cheap food they get from US FOODS. I can understand why some parents bring in lunch for their children. When I first started, they actually had a chef and the food was decent. Now it tastes like cardboard and bothers the children's digestive systems.

The hours are horrible...unless you're a "pet" you get long hours with long breaks. Even if you ask to switch or reduce your hours they give you a guilt trip or avoid the situation rather than remedying it. There wasn't much turn over but those poor ladies stay for "loyalty", which Kindercare hasn't really shown back to them.

Corporate says we go over hours yet are desperately trying to fill a center to capacity...we can't even get enough teachers! The children are slushed around so the favorite teachers can go home early while there's two year olds, three year olds and above are mixed together. They consistency break DCFS rules and run around like cockroaches when we have visitors so it seems like we're up to par. So, where is the money going Kindercare, hmm? You're just another horrible and devious corporation but you pray on families and children. This place is ATROCIOUS.

There are much better options for employment and childcare

Former Employee - Teacher in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits were ok at best.

Cons

Unreliable management
    Sporadic hours
    Dirty
    Low wages

Worst company to work for in my life

Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teacher I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING co-workers at my location.

Cons

- Above the pay grade of most day cares but still awful.
    - Don't bother with benefits - they're pricey with awful coverage and extremely high deductibles. Employer contributes no money to HSA (my prior jobs did).
    - The management, or lack there of are the most rude and robotic group of individuals I've ever met and I've worked at several KLC's. You are looked at as a body to fill a room, a person to keep the room in ratio, nothing more.
    - Zero communication between management and staff, and even the managers don't communicate well with each other.
    - Hours are either always cut or you have a ton of over time - there's absolutely no consistency or organization.
    - Children never stay enrolled. I have never worked in a daycare where kids are constantly dropping.
    - Extremely outdated classrooms and center choices for the children.
    - EVERY CENTER IS FILTHY!!! They're so concerned about being NECPA accredited and wanting to be NAEYC they don't stress cleanliness. I guess the Health Department doesn't care much either anymore.
    - KLC keeps closing centers throughout the nation. WONDER WHY!?

Quit listening to corporate who is ran by primarily retail background employees, and actually get into a classroom to observe and connect with teachers.

Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One pro is that you work closely with other teachers which can lead to meaningful friendships. The children were also a lot of fun. Unfortunately that is where this list ends.

Cons

Basically zero paid days off (neither personal or sick days) and very little pay. We were expected to be at work even during snow storms that left the city shut down (and no public transportation). There is very little autonomy for management. Most co-workers were just scraping by and trying to get through each day.

Kindercare Photos