Kindred Healthcare

Updated January 2, 2015
2.0

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Interesting... Hardley rewarding though

Current Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

If you're full time, the benefits are great

Cons

Hardly any room for growth

Don't treat your employees like they're expendable

Sub Standard Nursing Environment at Kindred Acute Care Hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

The staff work together to get the job done the best that they can given that the administration has made the job impossible. The staff really does care about the quality of care. ADNs can still get a job working at Kindred without being treated worse than BSNs.

Cons

3 patients per RN in a 13 bed ICU with no support staff. One RT that moves between the floor and ICU to manage vents. The 4 RNs do total patient care from bed baths to titrating drips which doesn't even leave time to chart. Ancient computer system. Ancient equipment. Not even beds with scales in an ICU. We have to lift them on scale while trying to keep the vent and drips running. High deductible health insurance. No 401K match. No pay raises. They claim self scheduling but you never get the schedule you put in for. I get audited once or twice a shift by one of the following: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nursing Supervisor, Nurse Manager, Infection Control Nurse, Quality Control, or senior administration (CNO, CEO, ACEO). I knew it was a bad job the day that there were 5 people in the unit auditing the 4 of us that work there. It must be really easy to come in to a unit where the staff is drenched in sweat, alarms going off everywhere, no one has had a break and complain about being late to chart hourly vital signs. True story. August 20th the 4 RNs and 1 RT walk in at 7 to be told that we have to do an emergency chest tube. The Physician is on the way. We have another patient having a seizure. We have to manually count narcotics (no pixis) and get report. The Physician arrives at 7:30 deals with the seizing patient and by 9 PM has the chest tube in. All patients are finally stable. No charting or meds passed yet. At 9:15 a manager shows up to tell us we had mandatory hour long training at 10 and we needed to send 2 nurses. Then proceeds to audit us finding problems in rooms we haven't even had the chance to spend time in. We get everyone turned, get the vents checked and get vitals in the computer. At 10 send 50% of the staff to training. Still not sure how 8 o'clock med pass got done because ICU patients get a lot of meds... Staff member returns at 11 to be called to the office to be written up for not keeping to the 2 hour turn schedules. Our incompetence is causing bed sores. If you interview for an RN position, ask them what the turn over rate is as everyone I work with is actively looking for a new job. That should be the best indicator of what you are getting yourself into.

There are more of you than there are beside RNs taking care of patients. That is a problem.

Thanks for the opportunity to advance

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to advance in my career

Cons

The pay and favortism played to specific employees

Please treat all employees fairly

Integrity filled employees however, the admin is a MESS! We work 70hr/wk instead of the 40/hr salary we were hired for!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

centrally located, diverse staff, competitive salary, free parking, awesome case management team that works really well together and with the patients and their families. Intrinsically motivated employees. Young staff with positive attitudes.

Cons

Older administration. Lack of leadership. Lack of support. Financially unstable.

Teach lower management how to manage their case management team so when they get slammed and are over worked, working 12 hour days despite the fact that they have young family's to return home to, they feel supported. Provide more support for case mgmt. team. We are a sinking ship at the Lakeshore location. The staff's integrity is there & they really are intrinsically motivated but the support is lacking in the biggest way- which in turn makes the employees consider seeking employment elsewhere despite a competitive salary, convenient location and such. Listen when the staff asks for help. Don't just gloss over their request for help. DCM is daily belittling case mgr's and the moral is so low its being noticed by other disciplines and its not right. The DCM leaves at 330pm daily while her Case mgrs leave no earlier than a 9 hour work day but averaging a 12hour work day and still not everything that is requested is done. We ask for help. We don't get it. I'm not going to work where I am not supported. I give 200% because that is who I am. However, we get these belittling emails daily: "I need this by 3pm" "why wasn't this done" first thing in the morning. We have a passive aggressive, snarkey dcm and its really very unfortunate. If all 3 of us left, the ship would sink fast. A little appreciation and support would go a long way!!!!! Pull up the job listing for Kindred North and compare it to Kindred Lakeshore and what is going on currently-its the complete opposite of the unfortunate reality of what exists currently. In the job posting it says something to the effect, "Want to work for a company who values you?" Well, yes that'd be lovely. Do I feel at all valued? NO. It also reads, "Want to be challenged but not overwhelmed?" Do you know weekly one of us is in the other case mgrs office crying on a weekly basis? We are begging for help and getting the tiniest morsel of help. Noone wants to talk about the Interqual reviews or the EQ reviews but those alone could be a job onto themselves for as long as they take with interruptions to get them done. Then there's the 4 page layout of a case managers job that the district mgr drew up. Its unbelievable. The other Kindreds are successful. The difference? Our DCM is not supporting us in any way shape or form. We feel belittled and are sinking fast. Had a mtg with the CEO today. She heard wwhat she wanted to but didn't address our biggest concern: Interquals and EQ's and how we can get help with them so they aren't late and the hospital can get reimbursed. Instead we are stuck in family care conferences, IDT Mtgs, SNF liaison's.....I could go on for days. We were graded on something for 4 months prior to ANY training on it (Interquals)...inappropriate and unfair. There are so many things wrong right now, I know my peer is probably still there tonight, working since 8am and its now 946pm. Its wrong. We are being exploited! I truly believe this.Because I was hired when they were short staffed, my "orientation" suffered. So I worked and learned along the way and they threw at me generic forms of orientation ie 1 hour at another location doing something totally different than learning my job. It was one of thee most unorganized orientations ive ever experienced and was even "graded" while still on orientation. The micromanaging from detailed unnecessary paperwork to negative and uninspiring emails just is ruing staff morale. We are all so behind and no one is really offering any sustainable help .A job opening at another Kindred location popped up and we all applied for the job -the entire case mgmt. team. Doesn't that tell you anything?

The Chicago Market is a sinking ship

Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great lasting friendships established. Multiple business relationships developed that will last a lifetime. Free parking, stable, non hostile workplace when team leaders are qualified.

Cons

Liaison management with zero clinical experience giving direction to clinical liaisons, a lot of finger pointing where management is concerned so that people working under him won't outshine "the boss." Redundant reports, salesforce.com daily documentation, quarterly plans, weekly plans, daily plans, conference calls daily to get the daily plan in addition to what has already been mentioned. Drug reps are being hired to replace clinical liaisons with zero clinical experience to do critical care admission assessments in referring hospitals. (Your family member is being evaluated clinically in Chicago by a non-clinical person for admission to Kindred, THAT'S DANGEROUS AND KINDRED DOES NOT CARE!) Decreased PTO, Kindred does not put in to the 401K, micro management at it's best, unrealistic goals. A bonus program that sounds good but numbers are manipulated to show a lack of revenue so you never make bonus. However, the company reports how well they are doing. A major back stabbing environment in the regional offices at Chicago North. HR does not address harassment concerns when multiple staff complains about the same person. It is a horrible market to work in due to all of these issues.

Put patient safety above sales and marketing in Chicago. Something serious is going to happen to a patient transferring from a referring hospital to Kindred due to lack of clinical information and lack of clinical expertise on the liaison's part. Heads and beds are more important than patient safety in Chicago. Hire a marketing director that has critical care experience so that the proper training can take place.

Alice in Wonderland

Current Contractor - Director of Quality Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Director of Quality Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They pay well. They have wonderful customer satisfaction ratings.

Cons

Horrible very sick hopeless patients!!! Very depressing to work with them.

More transparency.

Not therapist friendly

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Used to be RehabCare-decent PTO

Cons

Micromanaging of staff, RehabCare cared, don't be fooled that Kindred is not RehabCare, iTouch management, being 'investigated' when iTouch goes out or not working properly. Staffing issues, will be sent home and get less hours even with traveling to more than 1 facility. Losing contracts and not proactive to give full time employees 40 hrs a week. Never flexible, even when told it was.

The iTouch's DO misfunction, and focus on giving full time people their hours,even with travel options.

great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

great experience, great benefits, wonderful team mates, room for growth
    professionally and always encouraged to learn, many great experiences here

Cons

not as organized as it should be
    alot of staff changes, employees not always heard
    and sometimes work short staffed

No balance allowed for family life

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Dyer, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Dyer, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Pay and benefits were okay

Cons

There is a tolerance by Regional leaders to allow district leaders to be demeaning and threatening to facility staff to the point that good people choose to leave. People get promoted who have serious attendance issues while those that work their a** off, get reprimanded and belittled. I gave several years of my life to a facility that allowed leaders to tear a lot of good people down and keep the mediocre and poor performers happy....especially if they are friends of administration....I wish I had the courage to send in my exit interview, but don't want to be blacklisted.....

look at your district leaders....value good people when you have them, don't play HR games to get good people to quit, we eventually decide to leave on our own when there is no support

Fix your company

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assitstant in Dyer, IN
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assitstant in Dyer, IN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

The pay is okay on the days that their is enough staff on the Floor. The cnas (most) are willing to help when needed. Some nurses are very willing to also help, The benifits are not so bad.If there is a day you need off they mostley give it to you.

Cons

The down side of kindred is that management is two faced. There is no problem stabbing a person in the back without blinking a eye.Management will stick toghter to get people fired so they dont get in trouble. Never enough people to take care of the residents. Sometimes their is only 4 cnas for 70 residents,most of the time only 1 or 2 nurses on the floor for 70 people. That is not proper care .

Stop the back stabbing, hire enough people to work,pay more. Treat people with respect. Employees will stay and work if things get better.Clean up their messes that they have made there.

Kindred Healthcare Photos