Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Benjamin A. Breier

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• Rewarding patient care insurance was ok until the huge changes this year (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The 4 RNs do total patient care from bed baths to titrating drips which doesn't even leave time to chart (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

1. High expectations of staff but appreciative

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Kindred appreciates all of their staff. -Administrative staff are aware of situations that occur with the direct patient care (rare in healthcare facilities) - Possibilities for bonuses based on performance -Good work is recognized. I received a card from a supervisor one day that simply thanked me for picking up extra shifts.

Cons

-They expect your best -All work is expected to be finished before leaving the building. This can mean leaving an hour or two after your scheduled to leave. - frequent policy changes - frequent inservices -Aides and nursing staff will be called off of work if there are not enough patients

2. Kindred northlake

Former Employee - Evs in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Evs in Northlake, IL

Pros

Friendly employees. Team work only in some departments. CEO is very nice. She listens to problems. Very creative for holidays. Very clean hospital.

Cons

No teamwork in some departments. No sympathy from management. Compensation for hardwork is very poor. No follow thru with complaints about management.

Advice to Management

Have a ❤.

3. CRT

Former Employee - CRT in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - CRT in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare (More than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working with the people I treated, and worked with, the staff was wonderful, always caring

Cons

the CCEO could not make up her mind from one to another she was Bipolar Schizophrenic and over all a mess.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CCEO and CEO I have worked there for 8+ years not a write up not a verbal, and I never met either one, had to quick my job because my son was born with TSC he had Seizures,his seizures is under control now. but it is there policy that they wont take me back.

5. Overall ok experience. Now that healthcare is changing this industry is getting bad. Poor benefits. High revenue goal

Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Work independently. Field rep.

Cons

No raises. No 401k match. Difficult to make bonus.

Advice to Management

Change bonus structure to bonus per admission.

6. Great place to work.

Former Employee - CNA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CNA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the Hours were flexible. Scheduling was great.

Cons

The Pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Could Be more hands on

7. Interesting... Hardley rewarding though

Current Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you're full time, the benefits are great

Cons

Hardly any room for growth

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like they're expendable

Sub Standard Nursing Environment at Kindred Acute Care Hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

The staff work together to get the job done the best that they can given that the administration has made the job impossible. The staff really does care about the quality of care. ADNs can still get a job working at Kindred without being treated worse than BSNs.

Cons

3 patients per RN in a 13 bed ICU with no support staff. One RT that moves between the floor and ICU to manage vents. The 4 RNs do total patient care from bed baths to titrating drips which doesn't even leave time to chart. Ancient computer system. Ancient equipment. Not even beds with scales in an ICU. We have to lift them on scale while trying to keep the vent and drips running. High deductible health insurance. No 401K match. No pay raises. They claim self scheduling but you never get the schedule you put in for. I get audited once or twice a shift by one of the following: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nursing Supervisor, Nurse Manager, Infection Control Nurse, Quality Control, or senior administration (CNO, CEO, ACEO). I knew it was a bad job the day that there were 5 people in the unit auditing the 4 of us that work there. It must be really easy to come in to a unit where the staff is drenched in sweat, alarms going off everywhere, no one has had a break and complain about being late to chart hourly vital signs. True story. August 20th the 4 RNs and 1 RT walk in at 7 to be told that we have to do an emergency chest tube. The Physician is on the way. We have another patient having a seizure. We have to manually count narcotics (no pixis) and get report. The Physician arrives at 7:30 deals with the seizing patient and by 9 PM has the chest tube in. All patients are finally stable. No charting or meds passed yet. At 9:15 a manager shows up to tell us we had mandatory hour long training at 10 and we needed to send 2 nurses. Then proceeds to audit us finding problems in rooms we haven't even had the chance to spend time in. We get everyone turned, get the vents checked and get vitals in the computer. At 10 send 50% of the staff to training. Still not sure how 8 o'clock med pass got done because ICU patients get a lot of meds... Staff member returns at 11 to be called to the office to be written up for not keeping to the 2 hour turn schedules. Our incompetence is causing bed sores. If you interview for an RN position, ask them what the turn over rate is as everyone I work with is actively looking for a new job. That should be the best indicator of what you are getting yourself into.

Advice to Management

There are more of you than there are beside RNs taking care of patients. That is a problem.

9. Kindred is a patient centered organization that is good to work for.

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kindred is the largest post acute care provider in the country which gives you a large resource into people and best practices. Also being a major player in the healthcare industry you can be part of conversations and initiatives that are dealing with the changing landscape of healthcare.

Cons

Due to massive amounts of change in the division over the last few years there have definitely been some bumps in the road due to implementations and changes in leadership.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to reduce bureaucracy.

10. Thanks for the opportunity to advance

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to advance in my career

Cons

The pay and favortism played to specific employees

Advice to Management

Please treat all employees fairly

Integrity filled employees however, the admin is a MESS! We work 70hr/wk instead of the 40/hr salary we were hired for!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

centrally located, diverse staff, competitive salary, free parking, awesome case management team that works really well together and with the patients and their families. Intrinsically motivated employees. Young staff with positive attitudes.

Cons

Older administration. Lack of leadership. Lack of support. Financially unstable.

Advice to Management

Teach lower management how to manage their case management team so when they get slammed and are over worked, working 12 hour days despite the fact that they have young family's to return home to, they feel supported. Provide more support for case mgmt. team. We are a sinking ship at the Lakeshore location. The staff's integrity is there & they really are intrinsically motivated but the support is lacking in the biggest way- which in turn makes the employees consider seeking employment elsewhere despite a competitive salary, convenient location and such. Listen when the staff asks for help. Don't just gloss over their request for help. DCM is daily belittling case mgr's and the moral is so low its being noticed by other disciplines and its not right. The DCM leaves at 330pm daily while her Case mgrs leave no earlier than a 9 hour work day but averaging a 12hour work day and still not everything that is requested is done. We ask for help. We don't get it. I'm not going to work where I am not supported. I give 200% because that is who I am. However, we get these belittling emails daily: "I need this by 3pm" "why wasn't this done" first thing in the morning. We have a passive aggressive, snarkey dcm and its really very unfortunate. If all 3 of us left, the ship would sink fast. A little appreciation and support would go a long way!!!!! Pull up the job listing for Kindred North and compare it to Kindred Lakeshore and what is going on currently-its the complete opposite of the unfortunate reality of what exists currently. In the job posting it says something to the effect, "Want to work for a company who values you?" Well, yes that'd be lovely. Do I feel at all valued? NO. It also reads, "Want to be challenged but not overwhelmed?" Do you know weekly one of us is in the other case mgrs office crying on a weekly basis? We are begging for help and getting the tiniest morsel of help. Noone wants to talk about the Interqual reviews or the EQ reviews but those alone could be a job onto themselves for as long as they take with interruptions to get them done. Then there's the 4 page layout of a case managers job that the district mgr drew up. Its unbelievable. The other Kindreds are successful. The difference? Our DCM is not supporting us in any way shape or form. We feel belittled and are sinking fast. Had a mtg with the CEO today. She heard wwhat she wanted to but didn't address our biggest concern: Interquals and EQ's and how we can get help with them so they aren't late and the hospital can get reimbursed. Instead we are stuck in family care conferences, IDT Mtgs, SNF liaison's.....I could go on for days. We were graded on something for 4 months prior to ANY training on it (Interquals)...inappropriate and unfair. There are so many things wrong right now, I know my peer is probably still there tonight, working since 8am and its now 946pm. Its wrong. We are being exploited! I truly believe this.Because I was hired when they were short staffed, my "orientation" suffered. So I worked and learned along the way and they threw at me generic forms of orientation ie 1 hour at another location doing something totally different than learning my job. It was one of thee most unorganized orientations ive ever experienced and was even "graded" while still on orientation. The micromanaging from detailed unnecessary paperwork to negative and uninspiring emails just is ruing staff morale. We are all so behind and no one is really offering any sustainable help .A job opening at another Kindred location popped up and we all applied for the job -the entire case mgmt. team. Doesn't that tell you anything?

RSS Feed </> Embed