Kindred Healthcare

Updated Dec 10, 2013

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz

Paul J. Diaz

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thanks for the opportunity to advance

Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity to advance in my career

ConsThe pay and favortism played to specific employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat all employees fairly

Integrity filled employees however, the admin is a MESS! We work 70hr/wk instead of the 40/hr salary we were hired for!

Case Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Proscentrally located, diverse staff, competitive salary, free parking, awesome case management team that works really well together and with the patients and their families. Intrinsically motivated employees. Young staff with positive attitudes.

ConsOlder administration. Lack of leadership. Lack of support. Financially unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach lower management how to manage their case management team so when they get slammed and are over worked, working 12 hour days despite the fact that they have young family's to return home to, they feel supported. Provide more support for case mgmt. team. We are a sinking ship at the Lakeshore location. The staff's integrity is there & they really are intrinsically motivated but the support is lacking in the biggest way- which in turn makes the employees consider seeking employment elsewhere despite a competitive salary, convenient location and such. Listen when the staff asks for help. Don't just gloss over their request for help. DCM is daily belittling case mgr's and the moral is so low its being noticed by other disciplines and its not right. The DCM leaves at 330pm daily while her Case mgrs leave no earlier than a 9 hour work day but averaging a 12hour work day and still not everything that is requested is done. We ask for help. We don't get it. I'm not going to work where I am not supported. I give 200% because that is who I am. However, we get these belittling emails daily: "I need this by 3pm" "why wasn't this done" first thing in the morning. We have a passive aggressive, snarkey dcm and its really very unfortunate. If all 3 of us left, the ship would sink fast. A little appreciation and support would go a long way!!!!! Pull up the job listing for Kindred North and compare it to Kindred Lakeshore and what is going on currently-its the complete opposite of the unfortunate reality of what exists currently. In the job posting it says something to the effect, "Want to work for a company who values you?" Well, yes that'd be lovely. Do I feel at all valued? NO. It also reads, "Want to be challenged but not overwhelmed?" Do you know weekly one of us is in the other case mgrs office crying on a weekly basis? We are begging for help and getting the tiniest morsel of help. Noone wants to talk about the Interqual reviews or the EQ reviews but those alone could be a job onto themselves for as long as they take with interruptions to get them done. Then there's the 4 page layout of a case managers job that the district mgr drew up. Its unbelievable. The other Kindreds are successful. The difference? Our DCM is not supporting us in any way shape or form. We feel belittled and are sinking fast. Had a mtg with the CEO today. She heard wwhat she wanted to but didn't address our biggest concern: Interquals and EQ's and how we can get help with them so they aren't late and the hospital can get reimbursed. Instead we are stuck in family care conferences, IDT Mtgs, SNF liaison's.....I could go on for days. We were graded on something for 4 months prior to ANY training on it (Interquals)...inappropriate and unfair. There are so many things wrong right now, I know my peer is probably still there tonight, working since 8am and its now 946pm. Its wrong. We are being exploited! I truly believe this.Because I was hired when they were short staffed, my "orientation" suffered. So I worked and learned along the way and they threw at me generic forms of orientation ie 1 hour at another location doing something totally different than learning my job. It was one of thee most unorganized orientations ive ever experienced and was even "graded" while still on orientation. The micromanaging from detailed unnecessary paperwork to negative and uninspiring emails just is ruing staff morale. We are all so behind and no one is really offering any sustainable help .A job opening at another Kindred location popped up and we all applied for the job -the entire case mgmt. team. Doesn't that tell you anything?

The Chicago Market is a sinking ship

Clinical Liaison (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome great lasting friendships established. Multiple business relationships developed that will last a lifetime. Free parking, stable, non hostile workplace when team leaders are qualified.

ConsLiaison management with zero clinical experience giving direction to clinical liaisons, a lot of finger pointing where management is concerned so that people working under him won't outshine "the boss." Redundant reports, salesforce.com daily documentation, quarterly plans, weekly plans, daily plans, conference calls daily to get the daily plan in addition to what has already been mentioned. Drug reps are being hired to replace clinical liaisons with zero clinical experience to do critical care admission assessments in referring hospitals. (Your family member is being evaluated clinically in Chicago by a non-clinical person for admission to Kindred, THAT'S DANGEROUS AND KINDRED DOES NOT CARE!) Decreased PTO, Kindred does not put in to the 401K, micro management at it's best, unrealistic goals. A bonus program that sounds good but numbers are manipulated to show a lack of revenue so you never make bonus. However, the company reports how well they are doing. A major back stabbing environment in the regional offices at Chicago North. HR does not address harassment concerns when multiple staff complains about the same person. It is a horrible market to work in due to all of these issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut patient safety above sales and marketing in Chicago. Something serious is going to happen to a patient transferring from a referring hospital to Kindred due to lack of clinical information and lack of clinical expertise on the liaison's part. Heads and beds are more important than patient safety in Chicago. Hire a marketing director that has critical care experience so that the proper training can take place.

Alice in Wonderland

Director of Quality Management (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThey pay well. They have wonderful customer satisfaction ratings.

ConsHorrible very sick hopeless patients!!! Very depressing to work with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency.

Not therapist friendly

Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsUsed to be RehabCare-decent PTO

ConsMicromanaging of staff, RehabCare cared, don't be fooled that Kindred is not RehabCare, iTouch management, being 'investigated' when iTouch goes out or not working properly. Staffing issues, will be sent home and get less hours even with traveling to more than 1 facility. Losing contracts and not proactive to give full time employees 40 hrs a week. Never flexible, even when told it was.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe iTouch's DO misfunction, and focus on giving full time people their hours,even with travel options.

great experience

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Prosgreat experience, great benefits, wonderful team mates, room for growth
professionally and always encouraged to learn, many great experiences here

Consnot as organized as it should be
alot of staff changes, employees not always heard
and sometimes work short staffed

No balance allowed for family life

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
Dyer, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

ProsPay and benefits were okay

ConsThere is a tolerance by Regional leaders to allow district leaders to be demeaning and threatening to facility staff to the point that good people choose to leave. People get promoted who have serious attendance issues while those that work their a** off, get reprimanded and belittled. I gave several years of my life to a facility that allowed leaders to tear a lot of good people down and keep the mediocre and poor performers happy....especially if they are friends of administration....I wish I had the courage to send in my exit interview, but don't want to be blacklisted.....

Advice to Senior Managementlook at your district leaders....value good people when you have them, don't play HR games to get good people to quit, we eventually decide to leave on our own when there is no support

Fix your company

Certified Nursing Assitstant (Current Employee)
Dyer, IN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

ProsThe pay is okay on the days that their is enough staff on the Floor. The cnas (most) are willing to help when needed. Some nurses are very willing to also help, The benifits are not so bad.If there is a day you need off they mostley give it to you.

ConsThe down side of kindred is that management is two faced. There is no problem stabbing a person in the back without blinking a eye.Management will stick toghter to get people fired so they dont get in trouble. Never enough people to take care of the residents. Sometimes their is only 4 cnas for 70 residents,most of the time only 1 or 2 nurses on the floor for 70 people. That is not proper care .

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the back stabbing, hire enough people to work,pay more. Treat people with respect. Employees will stay and work if things get better.Clean up their messes that they have made there.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Kindred Healthcare Videos

Kindred Healthcare – Why Work for Us?

KINDRED HEALTHCARE Our transitional care hospitals (certified as long-term acute care hospitals and licensed as acute care hospitals) provide high-intensity medical care to patients who need extended hospital stays… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindred Healthcare reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kindred Healthcare CEO Paul J. Diaz. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Kindred Healthcare employees.