Kindred Healthcare

Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz

Paul J. Diaz

Pros:
  • "The company not only preaches work life balance they live it"
    in 8 reviews
  • "My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Some times a disconnect between upper management to lower"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I like it here

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

ProsEvery department seems to be a different experience, however I truly enjoy my department as well as my co-workers and mangers that I report to. It seems that Kindred allows each manager to manage at their discretion. For me, this has been a wonderful thing. I love that we have access to a gym onsite at no cost as well as a cafeteria and coffee shop. For the most part, people are friendly and helpful. My starting salary was competitive.

ConsNot giving raises for at least the past 3 years is frustrating. Even more frustrating is that we are finally getting a raise, but is next to nothing. Not even a 3% cost of living raise. On top of that, we have had PTO taken from us. If I didn't enjoy what I do and who I work with so much, I would definitely look into going somewhere else. Watching the people at the top make millions and get ridiculous bonuses while we get measly 1% smack in the face raises just isn't good for morale. I'm fortunate enough to not have to get health insurance through Kindred. It is absolutely the worst insurance pricing/coverage packages I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people. Paul does make an attempt to ease the blow of bad news year after year regarding reduced PTO time, increased insurance premiums no raises, ect., by allowing extra time off around the holidays-but that's about it. They should compensate those of us,who don't buy the insurance, for saving them a ton of money. If nothing more than a 1% raise can be given, then at least increase the PTO time.

Great people to work with, but excessive demands on the resources results in delivery of less than optimal I/S solutions

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the employees are very dedicated and professional. Senior leadership appears to have the patient needs in focus while navigating the current spectrum of reimbursement.

ConsContinually increasing demands on the employees to the point that critical projects are set to either fail or negatively impact other operations before they ever get started. It's become impossible to focus on any given project to give the proper amount of consideration in order to provide the level of quality that the I/S staff is capable of achieving.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more communication and guidance to what is on the Executive leaderships minds. Once a year I/S meetings are nice but need more updates. It's a touch environment (healthcare), but the I/S resources are severely strained. Continually offering little to nothing in raises while cutting paid time off and raising healthcare benefit costs year after year has had an increasingly demoralizing impact on the I/S staff.

Overall, patients' care done compassion and a great team of staff members there.

Lvn (Former Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

ProsThe actualization of seeing most of the patients being helped to the point of recovery.

ConsShortages of supplies mostly, occassionally equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No merit increases. Only given to upper management executives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone anymore. Used to be a great company to work for.

ConsOverwhelming amount of work. Not enough man power.
No merit increases
Terrible benefits-Perks getting taken away each year.

Blame culture.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pro is the location.

ConsHorrible upper management. Unprofessional HR. I do not recommend working here.

The worst job experience I have ever had in my professional career!

Clinical Liaison (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

ProsThere isn't one positive thing I could say about Kindred Hospital. I find that to be very sad :(

ConsThe culture of the organization appears to be toxic. Very poor training. Marketing managers in my market were arrogant, unprofessional, & ignorant. If you did not agree with the management then you were bullied and targeted. There have been many of my colleagues that have shared with me similar experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to hire a private consultant to objectively assess the culture of the marketing managers in the territory I worked in. Exit interviews would have been appropriate. Give workshops for marketing managers on professionalism and inappropriate behavior.

One Star is way too many!!

Implementation Services Trainer (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere is absolutly nothing positive about working for this company! I would like to say something positive, but there really is nothing nice to say. even when we traveled to the different hospitals, individual sites, the employees were unhappy.

ConsThis company offers no personal growth, very little in compensation and way to much of throwing employees under the bus! People come into the office everyday wondering who is going to be fired next.
The nurse to patient ratio can be obscene! One hospital it was twelve (12) patients to one (1) nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you want to think about hiring qualified people in HQ??
Maybe cut the senior management compensation and hire some more nurses??

Controller

Controller (Former Employee)

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsPay/Benefits if you are not in an exempt position

ConsController position is often the only true accounting position within the site other than payroll. This creates limitations for time-off as projections are expected twice monthly in addition to month-end close process. Difficult to take vacation time off with 1 continuous week let alone 2 weeks. Long hours are necessary to get the job done.

Impossible workload

Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some really great nurses.

ConsThe bad staff out number the good. Management is very poor, so the bad staff will never be held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management needs replace

good place to work

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time

Prosnot very far for me to travel

Consnot alot of full time opening

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is very understanding, easy too work with.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Kindred Healthcare Videos

Kindred Healthcare – Why Work for Us?

KINDRED HEALTHCARE Our transitional care hospitals (certified as long-term acute care hospitals and licensed as acute care hospitals) provide high-intensity medical care to patients who need extended hospital stays… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindred Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kindred Healthcare CEO Paul J. Diaz. All 256 reviews posted anonymously by Kindred Healthcare employees.