Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.7
Benjamin A. Breier

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• Rewarding patient care insurance was ok until the huge changes this year (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The 4 RNs do total patient care from bed baths to titrating drips which doesn't even leave time to chart (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

1. lpn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

you get plenty of over time if you want it. max patient load is 6, but most of the time you will have only 4

Cons

poor management. upper management can care less about you and don't even know who you are most of the time, mid management pretends to care, they listen but don't hear you.

Advice to Management

screen your applicants more carefully, don't just hire a warm body. when your employee comes to you with a concern pay attention

Bottom line is the top line

Former Employee - Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

The hospice team, dedicated front-line workers are some of the best people I ever had the privilege to know and I now have access to a great network of people, some of whom have helped me grow professionally.
    Benefits are mediocre, no better or worse than other firms I've worked in. Sick time is rolled into PTO. Healthcare policy has deductible of $1500/$4500 max out of pocket for the premium plan. There is little to no organized clinical orientation.

Cons

Kindred gradually destroyed the culture of our once great workplace after they purchased our home grown hospice and drove about half of our staff to leave over a period of 18 months. They place incompetent and ineffectual people in management positions with very little oversight. Senior management is just as bad, so you have no one to turn to when middle management abuses you.
    Kindred is offering very little in terms of benefits, time-off at the moment because of Medicare cuts, ACA, etc., They are making the staff suffer by cutting hours and pay, laying workers off and in general, making the employees lives miserable I think, in the hopes employees will quit and Kindred won't have to pay out unemployment insurance. Our team has had no raises in about 4 years and before that we got only 1.5% -2%, the lowest I've ever received in my career (prior to Medicare cuts). Many who remain at this office appear to be suffering from a form of battered spouse syndrome-- terribly unhappy but unable to tear themselves away from a co-dependent relationship.
    The clinical staff now have to use a tablet for documentation that tracks their every move and a software program that is cumbersome and poorly adapted to hospice work.

Advice to Management

Instead of carrying out hostile takeovers of well-established and successful firms to pad your books, try practicing Charity at Home and nurture the people who are currently keeping the organization afloat in these troubled times. If the people are happy, the money will come....

Always short staffed.

Former Employee - CNA in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - CNA in Denver, CO

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my supervising nurses deeply cared about the CNA's and the patients they cared for. Most of the other CNA's took personal pride in the care they provided,and created very team oriented atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate didn't seem interested in quality patient care, or rewarding the employees that continuously provided it. We were always under staffed, but were expected to complete all the tasks expected from a full staff.

Advice to Management

Bring back temp staffing, even if just once a week, so nursing can keep up with non-resident related tasks. Instead of pocketing the expense saved from hiring a full staff, use the money towards bonuses for those that are doing the extra work.

Supports a culture of reaction and retaliation

Current Employee - Worker in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Worker in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is oxygen in the building and the water is free. There is bathroom tissue by the commode. They keep soap in the restrooms. You can have a pizza delivered to the hospital.

Cons

Working in a Kindred hospital is an experience that leads one to believe the culture is based on undermining, reaction, retaliation, blame, deferment of accountability and responsibility. There is a Code of Conduct for the business that all sign but not followed. The administrators and managers cannot see the forest for the trees; they respond to benign issues and allow the malignant ones to continue. If true patient care is your calling you will be identified, overworked, and under appreciated. If sitting on your bottom and deferring work to others is your calling, this is a good place to meet those needs. I would not recommend working for Kindred. I would not send my family member to Kindred as I know what happens behind the scenes; bottoms covered in dry feces, patient requests ignored, and call lights not responded to.

Advice to Management

Take some classes (not offered by Kindred) to combat the culture of blame, culture of retaliation, and culture of deferment of responsibility.

Would give it no stars if I could

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Not sure there are any.

Cons

Hostile environment. Management threatens employees.

Advice to Management

Quit threatening employees-they actually will find employment elsewhere. Stop piling on work and then expecting people to flex and/or work off the clock.

7. Providing quality of care while being on the cutting edge of a new healthcare industry.

Current Employee - District Director of Case Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - District Director of Case Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The resources, support and education is great. They allow you to do your job and provide a lot of support.

Cons

With the ever changing healthcare industry it is difficult to function in finding a balance at times.

hostile work environment due to upper management backstabbing staff under their authority.

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the patients and some of the nursing staff.

Cons

upper management intentionally overlooking the real issues and failing to attempt to correct them and use them in a positive way, rather than destroying someone's livelihood because they have the authority to do so. the corrective action policy sucks. if you are accused of something, the accuser is not identified and the accused is labeled as a trouble maker and the false complaints become more fierce to the point where the accused is either fired or quit.the open door policy applies only to certain ones and others who use the open door policy are subject to being harassed if you don't abide by their rules and not Kindred's rules. when you are written up for false accusations, you are also refused a copy, whether you sign or not. when you refuse to sign, you are refused a copy and that copy is later rewritten to make it appear that you are the problem maker.

Advice to Management

fire the old management who have been there through all the previous owners:scci and triumph and replace them with real qualified upper management, starting with the nurse manager, then the ceo, HIM supervisor(former unit secretary) and human resources(registered dietitian)

9. Good place to get your year of acute experience but nothing more

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting pt population, some coworkers are great.

Cons

No leadership, punitive, reactionary management . Doctors extremely disrespectful to nursing staff.

Advice to Management

More presence on the floors.

It was what it was.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Thoroughly enjoyed the various tasks and having the variety from day to day. Enjoyed interacting with the residents as our facility was located within one of the local Skilled Nursing Facilities.

Cons

The particular management of that time and lack of support from management when issues were raised.

Advice to Management

Document everything as you may never know when you wil.l need to come back to that information to protect your position.

RSS Feed </> Embed