Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Fully supported by my team and my manager.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Our team is solid and does an amazing job looking for ways to make each other better. Management listens and micro-management is almost non-existent. Compensation is great. Some senior leaders are very good at listening and using our feedback. Flexible work environment is very nice; it makes me want to work more because I don't have to spend hours commuting if it's not necessary.

Cons

Compensation has to be high in order to make up for the worst benefits I've ever been exposed to: cost is high, coverage is relatively low, out of pocket maximums equate to a new car every two years. All leadership needs to do a better job being in touch with the employees who report to and around them. This is part a culture issue and part a technology issue. To think you could run a company in 2014 without a way to communicate with your employees electronically and without a way for them to really be heard, is archaic at best.

Prioritize a communication system that allows employees and their leaders to interact meaningfully. Train managers on the skills of leadership. Pay attention to what our patients are saying; our culture is a what is driving their less-than-enviable experience.

Not the worst place I have worked or the best place I have worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Shift differential, weekend differential pay, People I work with are hardworking, not lazy, and care about their job!

Cons

Upper management not very supportive, Employees are allowed to many points so bad employees stay to long.

Good & Bad

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers, a strong set of policies & procedures, good support from upline.

Cons

So many cuts in healthcare reimbursement is having major effects at operational levels. For 2yrs no raises, no 401k match, still earning vacation but frozen at current levels. All while it appears that VP levels & up still had very high salaries & numerous bonuses. Too many staff cuts at operational level & at bed side.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best career experience of my life

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic management, staff at all levels within company are very much appreciated

Cons

Training was an issue but that is pretty much the norm in most healthcare environments

They can talk the talk but...

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a weekly pay check.

Cons

Salaries are on the low end even for healthcare, benefits are terrible, management is muddled - personalities reign supreme and problem employees are coddled if they are friends with managment. Gossip, cliques, mean girls and boys, worse than high school.

Management making rules as they go along.

Current Employee - Various  in  Lima, OH
    Current Employee - Various in Lima, OH

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loved the patients,families,co-workers, and physicians.

Cons

Discriminitory practices in the Lima,Ohio Kindred. One race is disciplined one way and the others terminated. You could get away with anything if mgnt liked you but if you complained they found reason to get rid of you.

Put qualified people in these positions that know policy and follow it.

A great place to work

Current Employee - CNA  in  Wareham, MA
    Current Employee - CNA in Wareham, MA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very team-oriented facility. Wages/Compensation are right where they should be and increase annually at a fair rate. The company also has some great benefits such as tuition reimbursement allowing for growth within the company at an ease to my wallet :)

Cons

Other departments could do more to improve the overall cleanliness and conditions of the facility.

Keep up the great work, I really enjoy working here!

Overall, a good company.

Former Employee - Social Worker  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Social Worker in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are striving to provide the best care possible for their residents. The company is always looking for new ways of doing things and try to be innovative.

Cons

They are consistently changing policies and forms!

Try to streamline some of the paperwork.

My 1st nursing job... while it was an overall good experience - there are some "deal breaker" cons!

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Greenfield, IN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Greenfield, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, great co-workers & loved the residents & their families. Unit mgrs were active in care of pts & very aware of the condition of the pts on their unit & overall team players.

Cons

Mgmt could be more involved with night shift - rarely any communication/feedback, commonly underestimated how busy it truly was on nights with all the extra preparation work & "catch-all" tasks that noc shift was responsible for. Upper mgmt didn't understand acuity vs numbers from unit to unit - overstaffed on one unit & understaffed on another bc would make shift assignments based on numbers not acuity. You would often bounce from unit to unit making it difficult to establish a routine & pts didn't like the inconsistency.

Overall good mgmt team, but need to give more feedback (both good & bad) to staff which encourages growth of your employees. Consider working a few night shifts from time to time. Hire someone with experience in scheduling to reduce high turnover rate r/t bouncing employees around.

Overall, good

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

It has Work/family life balance

Cons

Poor health benefits- too costly for a family

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!