Kindred Healthcare

Updated September 11, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Top-notch people who work hard and care deeply

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- great people to work with
    - great building and amenities

Cons

- high-stress in tight economy with many healthcare changes

Fight for integrity daily.

Ok experience

Former Employee - CNA  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - CNA in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers and patients . Not too many positives because it's like a big nursing home. Working in a small hospital such as Kindred everyone knows everyone.

Cons

EXTREMELY short staffed and overworked. Nurses won't help get patients on bedpans, turn patients or answer call lights they feel the work is to remedial for them. Infections are very high and patients are often moved around room to room which increases the infections. Expect to care for 12 total care patients in vents with no help or proper supplies all day. NO 401k

HIRE MORE HELP TO BALANCE OUT PATIENT TO NURSE RATIO. The turn out rate is extremely high instead if turning a blind eye and hiring people who stay for a couple months get to the source before you run through everybody .

Decent LTC company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are a large nation wide company which provides the facilities with a lot of resources, policy and procedures, and support. Although, there have been hit with wage freezes in recent years they do try and make up in other ways. Pay was decent but some departments were low for area.

Cons

Not all corp systems fit every building. They have cut back the last few years and everything revolves around the census hours which doesn't always work with patient care.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN)  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was great!! Great hospital to learn and gain experience and enhance your nursing skills. They made sure that all nursing staff had different types of certification and was company paid.

Cons

CCO and Nurse Manager did not care about the staff. It was to many cliques in the management department.

Get rid of some of the management people who made the company/hospital look bad.

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Murray, UT

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and cohesive team players

Cons

Frequent changes from corporate administration

Fully supported by my team and my manager.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Our team is solid and does an amazing job looking for ways to make each other better. Management listens and micro-management is almost non-existent. Compensation is great. Some senior leaders are very good at listening and using our feedback. Flexible work environment is very nice; it makes me want to work more because I don't have to spend hours commuting if it's not necessary.

Cons

Compensation has to be high in order to make up for the worst benefits I've ever been exposed to: cost is high, coverage is relatively low, out of pocket maximums equate to a new car every two years. All leadership needs to do a better job being in touch with the employees who report to and around them. This is part a culture issue and part a technology issue. To think you could run a company in 2014 without a way to communicate with your employees electronically and without a way for them to really be heard, is archaic at best.

Prioritize a communication system that allows employees and their leaders to interact meaningfully. Train managers on the skills of leadership. Pay attention to what our patients are saying; our culture is a what is driving their less-than-enviable experience.

They can talk the talk but...

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a weekly pay check.

Cons

Salaries are on the low end even for healthcare, benefits are terrible, management is muddled - personalities reign supreme and problem employees are coddled if they are friends with managment. Gossip, cliques, mean girls and boys, worse than high school.

Not the worst place I have worked or the best place I have worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Shift differential, weekend differential pay, People I work with are hardworking, not lazy, and care about their job!

Cons

Upper management not very supportive, Employees are allowed to many points so bad employees stay to long.

Good & Bad

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers, a strong set of policies & procedures, good support from upline.

Cons

So many cuts in healthcare reimbursement is having major effects at operational levels. For 2yrs no raises, no 401k match, still earning vacation but frozen at current levels. All while it appears that VP levels & up still had very high salaries & numerous bonuses. Too many staff cuts at operational level & at bed side.

Best career experience of my life

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic management, staff at all levels within company are very much appreciated

Cons

Training was an issue but that is pretty much the norm in most healthcare environments

Kindred Healthcare Photos

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!