Kindred Healthcare

Updated September 30, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked with the competetors, Kindred has a higher visions for it's employees!

Current Employee - Hospital Liaison  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Hospital Liaison in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've seen both sides of the LTACH marketing and sales aspect of patient assessment and work flow and the support that is needed to traverse the complexities of helping families to get to the highest level of post-hospital care which I am a very strong fan of. Kindred's approach is a full on team effort, no Prima-Donna's watching everyone else pull the load, they are really invested in the entire process and extend an impressive effort to assist the families and patients.

Cons

Really bad Yelp reviews, One Star, really Yelp!!!...it's unconscionable how Yelp has deterred many families from getting the highest level of care for the sickest patients and has put a down the hardest working nurses and doctors and clinical team I've had the priviledge of working with. The only con I can complain about is the unfair reputation that yelp has put upon this group tha serves with dignity and steadfast perserverence.

Keep doing what you're doing, your staff does appreciate the kindness and support you so generously extend! It's time for the 401K match is reinstated.

Completed my adult internship with a Kindred ST. I had a great experience and was constantly learning.

Former Employee - Speech-Language Pathology, Graduate Student Clinician  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Speech-Language Pathology, Graduate Student Clinician in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Kindred Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The therapists were extremely welcoming and supportive. My supervisor was phenomenal. Kindred offered support throughout the experience. Scheduling flexibility for my supervisor and other therapists was very reasonable.

Cons

Productivity requirements are counterintuitive. As with all healthcare settings, the benefits of speech-language pathology are becoming lost due to the constant pull for "higher productivity ratings." STNAs varied from extremely helpful to useless.

Advocate for your employees!!! Make it known to your supervisors and insurance companies that the narrow focus on productivity ratings is detrimental to patients' health and well-being. Patient care is truly suffering for the sake of business; this must change.

Good place to work

Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN)  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Springfield, IL

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Hard workers who care for one another

Cons

They offer poor insurance benefits

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Former Employee - Therapy
    Former Employee - Therapy

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Flexible, good work environment, good staff, good management

Cons

Productivity; limited cons because enjoyed working with the company.

LVN Amarillo, TX

Former Employee - LVN  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - LVN in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience with a variety of patients.

Cons

Too corporate and impersonal. Administrators are cold. Heavy patient load.

Treat employees as individuals

I am probably happier here than I have been elsewhere in all my 16 years as a nurse. No place is perfect.

Current Employee - RN, BSN Per Diem
    Current Employee - RN, BSN Per Diem

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy the autonomy, per-diem pay, and self-scheduling that the job has to offer.

Cons

I work per diem because they would not give me pay experience for my 8 years as a LPN since they were not hiring LPNs at the time.

We do not receive holiday parties, holiday presents, or any sort of rewards.

I often get pulled to ICU. Dispite the fact that I have asked repetedy for an orientation to ICU, I have never received one.

There is a lack of accountability for lateness to work. This causes me to start my shift and end my shift on time. It seems to be an epidemic.

I often do not get to take a break due to high accuity of patients and large patient loads. One Supervisor questioned me when I asked her to sign my missed meal form, "Other nurses are able to take a break...Why can't you?" Funny when the Supervisors do not help you when they know you are drowning.

The admission process is ridicuously long.... the nurses generally enter the med rec in a two step process: discharge meds and admission meds. It is quite tedious.

The aids are so lazy. You can not count on them to take your vital signs and accuchecks on time. Forget about them telling you if anything is not WNL. They do not seem to know or care. You often feel like you do not have an aid. You must come with the mind set that you can only count on you. This way you won't get upset or feel let down.

Please hold the CNAs accountable for their job requirements, make the nurses accountable for clocking in on time, mandate fair nurse to patient ratios, provide nurses with the ability to take a break, require supervisors to assist nurses when they are in need of help, mandate that nurses must receive ICU experience before they can work in ICU, and give RNs pay expereince for years worked as a LPN.

Top-notch people who work hard and care deeply

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- great people to work with
    - great building and amenities

Cons

- high-stress in tight economy with many healthcare changes

Fight for integrity daily.

Ok experience

Former Employee - CNA  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - CNA in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers and patients . Not too many positives because it's like a big nursing home. Working in a small hospital such as Kindred everyone knows everyone.

Cons

EXTREMELY short staffed and overworked. Nurses won't help get patients on bedpans, turn patients or answer call lights they feel the work is to remedial for them. Infections are very high and patients are often moved around room to room which increases the infections. Expect to care for 12 total care patients in vents with no help or proper supplies all day. NO 401k

HIRE MORE HELP TO BALANCE OUT PATIENT TO NURSE RATIO. The turn out rate is extremely high instead if turning a blind eye and hiring people who stay for a couple months get to the source before you run through everybody .

Great experience

Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN)  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was great!! Great hospital to learn and gain experience and enhance your nursing skills. They made sure that all nursing staff had different types of certification and was company paid.

Cons

CCO and Nurse Manager did not care about the staff. It was to many cliques in the management department.

Get rid of some of the management people who made the company/hospital look bad.

Decent LTC company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are a large nation wide company which provides the facilities with a lot of resources, policy and procedures, and support. Although, there have been hit with wage freezes in recent years they do try and make up in other ways. Pay was decent but some departments were low for area.

Cons

Not all corp systems fit every building. They have cut back the last few years and everything revolves around the census hours which doesn't always work with patient care.

Kindred Healthcare Photos

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!