Kindred Healthcare

Updated September 20, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Former Employee - Therapy
    Former Employee - Therapy

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Flexible, good work environment, good staff, good management

Cons

Productivity; limited cons because enjoyed working with the company.

LVN Amarillo, TX

Former Employee - LVN  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - LVN in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience with a variety of patients.

Cons

Too corporate and impersonal. Administrators are cold. Heavy patient load.

Treat employees as individuals

I am probably happier here than I have been elsewhere in all my 16 years as a nurse. No place is perfect.

Current Employee - RN, BSN Per Diem
    Current Employee - RN, BSN Per Diem

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy the autonomy, per-diem pay, and self-scheduling that the job has to offer.

Cons

I work per diem because they would not give me pay experience for my 8 years as a LPN since they were not hiring LPNs at the time.

We do not receive holiday parties, holiday presents, or any sort of rewards.

I often get pulled to ICU. Dispite the fact that I have asked repetedy for an orientation to ICU, I have never received one.

There is a lack of accountability for lateness to work. This causes me to start my shift and end my shift on time. It seems to be an epidemic.

I often do not get to take a break due to high accuity of patients and large patient loads. One Supervisor questioned me when I asked her to sign my missed meal form, "Other nurses are able to take a break...Why can't you?" Funny when the Supervisors do not help you when they know you are drowning.

The admission process is ridicuously long.... the nurses generally enter the med rec in a two step process: discharge meds and admission meds. It is quite tedious.

The aids are so lazy. You can not count on them to take your vital signs and accuchecks on time. Forget about them telling you if anything is not WNL. They do not seem to know or care. You often feel like you do not have an aid. You must come with the mind set that you can only count on you. This way you won't get upset or feel let down.

Please hold the CNAs accountable for their job requirements, make the nurses accountable for clocking in on time, mandate fair nurse to patient ratios, provide nurses with the ability to take a break, require supervisors to assist nurses when they are in need of help, mandate that nurses must receive ICU experience before they can work in ICU, and give RNs pay expereince for years worked as a LPN.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top-notch people who work hard and care deeply

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- great people to work with
    - great building and amenities

Cons

- high-stress in tight economy with many healthcare changes

Fight for integrity daily.

Ok experience

Former Employee - CNA  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - CNA in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers and patients . Not too many positives because it's like a big nursing home. Working in a small hospital such as Kindred everyone knows everyone.

Cons

EXTREMELY short staffed and overworked. Nurses won't help get patients on bedpans, turn patients or answer call lights they feel the work is to remedial for them. Infections are very high and patients are often moved around room to room which increases the infections. Expect to care for 12 total care patients in vents with no help or proper supplies all day. NO 401k

HIRE MORE HELP TO BALANCE OUT PATIENT TO NURSE RATIO. The turn out rate is extremely high instead if turning a blind eye and hiring people who stay for a couple months get to the source before you run through everybody .

Great experience

Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN)  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was great!! Great hospital to learn and gain experience and enhance your nursing skills. They made sure that all nursing staff had different types of certification and was company paid.

Cons

CCO and Nurse Manager did not care about the staff. It was to many cliques in the management department.

Get rid of some of the management people who made the company/hospital look bad.

Decent LTC company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are a large nation wide company which provides the facilities with a lot of resources, policy and procedures, and support. Although, there have been hit with wage freezes in recent years they do try and make up in other ways. Pay was decent but some departments were low for area.

Cons

Not all corp systems fit every building. They have cut back the last few years and everything revolves around the census hours which doesn't always work with patient care.

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Murray, UT

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and cohesive team players

Cons

Frequent changes from corporate administration

Fully supported by my team and my manager.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Our team is solid and does an amazing job looking for ways to make each other better. Management listens and micro-management is almost non-existent. Compensation is great. Some senior leaders are very good at listening and using our feedback. Flexible work environment is very nice; it makes me want to work more because I don't have to spend hours commuting if it's not necessary.

Cons

Compensation has to be high in order to make up for the worst benefits I've ever been exposed to: cost is high, coverage is relatively low, out of pocket maximums equate to a new car every two years. All leadership needs to do a better job being in touch with the employees who report to and around them. This is part a culture issue and part a technology issue. To think you could run a company in 2014 without a way to communicate with your employees electronically and without a way for them to really be heard, is archaic at best.

Prioritize a communication system that allows employees and their leaders to interact meaningfully. Train managers on the skills of leadership. Pay attention to what our patients are saying; our culture is a what is driving their less-than-enviable experience.

Kindred healthcare

Former Employee - STNA  in  Chillicothe, OH
    Former Employee - STNA in Chillicothe, OH

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome residents at this facility, pop mqchine, New ice machine

Cons

Management, under staffed, wage freeze, crappy activities, favoritism

Needs new management all around there is no fixing for them all warped and twisted besides the administrator she rocks

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!