Kindred Healthcare

Updated March 3, 2015
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

No support from Direct supervisor.

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

cant think of any right now

Cons

no communication, so support from supervisor,

Communicate with your employees

Understaffed

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Free Turkey on Thanksgiving weeeee

Cons

Workloads are too large-completely impossible to do. So pt care has to be missed. Pts at increased risk due to the fact that most are in isolation and we never have the time to glove/gown/wash properly. Computer system is very bad and on a regular workload you will spend 6 hours a day charting which is again less time for pt care. Equipment is archaic and life saving equipment does not work frequently. There are few electrical plugs and pts are crowded into rooms. I would not put my loved one here.

Change computer system in order to streamline time. Update electrical, vacuum, and Oxygen systems. Instill max workloads and call in additional staffing when those loads are exceeded.

Morally bankrupt

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

None. Trains was ridiculous, mgmt worthless, only interested in certain types of Pts...the kind that make them money. Skimming a profit off human misery.

Cons

Way too many to list...thinking about it makes me want to take a shower.

Quit and stay away from "healthcare"...

Left with nothing

Former Employee - Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the products for patient care

Cons

No regard for tell the worker the truth sold the company and never though,int about the years of care the worker put
    never let us have a say so no regard for our lifes

when someone work many years for this company, think about how you affect their future

Considering a Career Change

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The comradery between the employees. The employees are swamped altogether and rely on each other's help so it creates comradery.

Cons

I really hope that the Kindred facilities given 2-5 stars actually exist. It is hard to go to work when you feel like a slave or when you feel you are partaking in patients' suffering. Forget the pay. Forget the benefits. Let's talk about patient safety and employee morale. This applies to every Kindred I've worked...

To save money on staffing and prevent overtime, they will use 1 CNA to 2 patients when a sitter is ORDERED by an MD for 1 to 1. On top of "sitting" for 2 confused patients whom endanger themselves, they will have 2 additional patients to care for. As the CNA is preventing one patient from pulling out his/her trach tube, the other confused patient is literally jumping out of bed requiring stat X-rays. These poor CNAs are put in a terrible position as they must choose which patient's situation is "less dangerous." We don't want any patient in danger. Many CNAs feel like they are treated "like scum."

Since RTs also do not have any national ratio laws, Kindred is willing to let the RTs run heavy with 18+ patients, at times, than call someone in because it creates overtime. Watching these RTs managing their 8+ ventilator patients is amazing; You have to take into account that while they are constantly monitoring weaning patients, they also assist nurses/CNAs with turning, lifting, serving meals when it is technically not their job. Many RTs feel that management does not appreciate them like the RTs are expendable; It seems the RT dept (which is important) is being treated like an inconvenient cost.

Nurses have their ratios, yes, however on top of their patient care (which includes medication, admissions, emergencies)... Tons of paperwork are thrown on top of workloads. Paperwork that probably should be done by a manager is passed on to supervisors and then to staff. The more your salary, the less work is what it seems. Nurses get yelled at by the patients, the visitors, the doctors, and administration via love notes. Nurses feel like they are forced to treat their patients like numbers.

Since Kindred has taken over, there are less patient care employees and more middle management. When the floors drown, the charge nurses and supervisors stay in their office. Apparently, the supervisor needs 2 charge nurses because of the added paperwork; this paperwork is done by the nurses with patients. Acuity is required documentation, but is irrelevant as it is not followed.

It seems as though Kindred allows patients' families to run their hospitals. While employees enforce rules which are posted in every unit (i.e. 2 visitors at a time, 2 chairs in each room, 20-min max per hour in ICU), administration caves and gives families clearance to take what is not theirs. This makes the staff look very stupid and cold-hearted. Since visiting hours are 24 hours, many families request so many pillows and blankets so they may make a bed atop 4 chairs. It will take a visitor 30 seconds of being irate and threatening for Kindred to give them what they want; Other patients are left without extra pillows or blankets if needed and now there's a fire hazard in multiple rooms.

I've witnessed many times... Every employee working is in a patient room doing care. 6 other different patients (or visitors) need someone and nobody is available. Again, EVERY employee is already busy doing something. Complaints about employees working as if rushed and/or not answering call lights immediately can stack, but most of the employees have only 2 hands. When those hands are on a patient, we take our time as to safely deliver care.

So the icing on the cake?
    Crappy pay and benefits.

It's quite simple, really.
    -Listen to your staff. We are the ones at patients' bedsides. They rely on us to communicate what they want and need. If we need equipment to better serve patients, at least consider it.
    -Respect your staff. We are the ones who get feces thrown our way. We get hit by the combative patients. If we are in danger, please do what's necessary to keep us safe as well.
    -Staff your units properly and based on acuity like it should. The bare minimum labor is doable with current staffing standards. But with the amount of work to each discipline, stopping to smile is almost not an option.

Allow these patients to be given the right to safe care. Emergencies can always happen at any time, but let's make them as avoidable as possible! Your patient care staff understands that this is a business, but please understand that we are not business majors. We are patient advocates. Being unable to care for our patients up to our own personal standards is disheartening NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE ARE ALL EACH PAID. It is so depressing. Of all the hospitals I've worked at... Kindred, yours has pushed me to want to leave this field. I've never seen patient care so blatantly trumped by money. I think it's time this company asks their employees what's REALLY GOING ON. Monitor how your CNOs, your managers and your supervisors are running each hospital.

Lazy recruiters

Current Employee - PTA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PTA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Usually have decent Co workers trying to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

Cons

No 401k match. No significant pay raises past 3 yrs. Hideous medical benefits (what a joke). Incompetent lazy recruiters (you will have to find your own way in) they will offer you jobs that don't exist and never call you back. Call the corporate onboarder to get assistance. She is the only one I found willing to do her job.

Put your recruiters on commission, they are guilty of taking your money and not giving you the quality employees you are looking for.

Kindred Hospital is a horrible place to work!!!!!

Current Employee - LVN in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Perris, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

I worked in the ICU and the RN's were very supportive and helpful. Pt's are taken care as well as they can be for the amount of nurses there.

Cons

Lack of nurses, lack of Nurses aides, lack of support. Smell of urine and feces. Upper management just want to make the bucks and screw their patients and their help. The LVN's are given 8 to 10 patients each. This makes it very hard to give proper care. On your feet for 12 hours and sometimes NO BREAK at all.

Get rid of the head of the snake and the rest of will follow. Hire more nurses and nurses aides.

bad place to work

Former Employee - LNA in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - LNA in Nashua, NH

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Patients is the best about this job

Cons

HR harass you less when you leave the place. Don't care if you speak up will pick mangers side. Ive been lied too and many times I wanted to cry when I got home, . Under staff and 1 LNA to 12 is a hard day! Nurses don't care at all.they'll don't pay much for being treated with disrespected.

Listen and respect your LNA we are doing all of the work. Never pick favorites,stop harassing the LNAs

It's a job, but if you can find something better, do that!

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

It's a job that you get paid.

Cons

Pay is low and management doesn't care!!!

Care for the employees and stop harassing them for no reason!!!

Incompetent recruiter for San Diego

Current Employee - PTA
    Current Employee - PTA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Money for ceus instead of company site

Cons

Getting onboarded is a nightmare

Put your recruiters on commission, maybe then they would do their jobs. They do not follow through and only persistent applicants are eventually hired. You are losing quality employees because of this.

Kindred Healthcare Photos