Kindred Healthcare

Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

IT is a lot of messy people there and not enough communication from one person to the next not enough communication

Former Employee - Dietary Aid  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Dietary Aid in Arlington, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have health insurance but the plans aren't that great , how can you say people win gifts but then make them pay for it out of there check which you don't find out until you have a deduction coming out of your check that you had no idea was coming

Cons

Don't get close to anyone unless they are showing favoritism toward you because outside of that they will spread your business and some around the hospital

some of the people who are in management don't derseve it because they rweallyt only care about themselves and not the people working under them or for them

Work with residents to help with mobility,and range of motion.

Current Employee - STNA  in  Painesville, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Painesville, OH

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

enjoy working with the elderly.I enjoy helping those who cannot help themselves

Cons

working short handed can really wear a person out

more training will help a lot

Ongoing battle between abusive management and staff.

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

a paycheck....this is the only reason most of the nurses work there. The benefits are OK but could be a lot better considering the cons.

Cons

The management of Kindred is vindictive and treats employees (except their favorites) very poorly. Many nurses are leaving due to horrid conditions making it unsafe for the patients.

Your most valued assets are your employees. Treat them that way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

THE BUCK DOSEN'T STOP HERE KINDRED WANTS IT FIRTHER IN THEIR POCKET

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

CONVIENT LOCATION IN THE CITY

Cons

Patients and employees are at thru bottom of Kindred's importance. The almighty dollar is their highest concern. Passing by on the KHAT for minimal staff possible (save a buck), only in house incentive to encourage morale is one lunch ticket, (save a buck), totally ignores Nurse Day Week, not even a verbal acknowledgement (save a buck), took away yearly crawfish boil for employees (save a buck), took away employee of the month incentive $ 1.00, now receives a lunch ticket (save a buck), no raises, (save a buck) *****note upper administration receives their yearly bonuses. No 401K match (save a buck), Horrible medical insurance, must pay full deductible before seeing any physician or receiving prescriptions (save a buck), No acknowledgement WHAT SO EVER for staff from lower management down. If any morale boosters or incentives or given it is to the CEO and possibly other upper administration.Why wound anyone want to work here as attested by extremely high turnover. I cannot say of other Kindred facilities, but Kindred New Orleans is only about the CEO and the almighty buck.

Stop sending people to investigate.the staff. They do not remain long enough to do any harm. Upper administration is running out of people to dump on then fired. Where are they going to hide now. CMS will eventually catch on that patients do not meet requirements. They are just a number in a bed in order to get the almighty dollar!

Avoid Corporate

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

This culture is the perfect combination of nepotism and southern efficiency. If you know someone's mother who works there and you don't have any skills or interest in keeping up with your profession you will fit right in and probably be promoted regularly.

Cons

Near everyone there has known each other for 25 years and never worked anywhere else and carved out a nice little high paying territory. you'll love it if you like to spend six months doing something that can be done in five days and then talking about how hard your job is and how essential you are.

My "manager" was nowhere to be seen, clearly didn't know how or even want to manage yet somehow had no problem drawing a paycheck. She relied entirely on hearsay from a pack of trusted and inept favorites and became vindictive in the worst way when feeling threatened. She and her "senior" analyst had no templates, no policies, no standards and wore their technical illiteracy as badges of honor while using something that was supposed to be a waterfall SDLC for projects that could be delivered in under a week and cancelling the staff meetings near every week. It is political suicide to suggest anything being done in the 21st century.

Run for your life.

Do the right thing for the company and just RESIGN.

Sub Standard Nursing Environment at Kindred Acute Care Hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

The staff work together to get the job done the best that they can given that the administration has made the job impossible. The staff really does care about the quality of care. ADNs can still get a job working at Kindred without being treated worse than BSNs.

Cons

3 patients per RN in a 13 bed ICU with no support staff. One RT that moves between the floor and ICU to manage vents. The 4 RNs do total patient care from bed baths to titrating drips which doesn't even leave time to chart. Ancient computer system. Ancient equipment. Not even beds with scales in an ICU. We have to lift them on scale while trying to keep the vent and drips running. High deductible health insurance. No 401K match. No pay raises. They claim self scheduling but you never get the schedule you put in for. I get audited once or twice a shift by one of the following: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nursing Supervisor, Nurse Manager, Infection Control Nurse, Quality Control, or senior administration (CNO, CEO, ACEO). I knew it was a bad job the day that there were 5 people in the unit auditing the 4 of us that work there. It must be really easy to come in to a unit where the staff is drenched in sweat, alarms going off everywhere, no one has had a break and complain about being late to chart hourly vital signs. True story. August 20th the 4 RNs and 1 RT walk in at 7 to be told that we have to do an emergency chest tube. The Physician is on the way. We have another patient having a seizure. We have to manually count narcotics (no pixis) and get report. The Physician arrives at 7:30 deals with the seizing patient and by 9 PM has the chest tube in. All patients are finally stable. No charting or meds passed yet. At 9:15 a manager shows up to tell us we had mandatory hour long training at 10 and we needed to send 2 nurses. Then proceeds to audit us finding problems in rooms we haven't even had the chance to spend time in. We get everyone turned, get the vents checked and get vitals in the computer. At 10 send 50% of the staff to training. Still not sure how 8 o'clock med pass got done because ICU patients get a lot of meds... Staff member returns at 11 to be called to the office to be written up for not keeping to the 2 hour turn schedules. Our incompetence is causing bed sores. If you interview for an RN position, ask them what the turn over rate is as everyone I work with is actively looking for a new job. That should be the best indicator of what you are getting yourself into.

There are more of you than there are beside RNs taking care of patients. That is a problem.

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

THERE ARE NO PROS HERE.

Cons

Paperwork, Management, Corporate, Benefits and lack of adherence to code of conduct.

All ethical and work load standards are Humanly Impossible to a good person/therapist.

Not For The Faint of Heart!

Former Employee - Nurse  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can think of very few good things about this particular establishment. I suppose this would provide a paycheck if you were jobless, but only until you find a better position elsewhere. Benefits are available for full and part time employees.

Cons

Seriously understaffed. This place needs a complete overhaul from management on down! Disorganization and miscommunication is routine here and forget about talking with your supervisor(s), as they either don't have time or don't care about your concerns. You will be approached on a regular basis to pick up extra shifts and made to feel guilty if you choose not to work extra. The work load is outrageous!

Work on retaining your employees-listen when they have concerns! More staff is a necessity to lighten the work load!!

Don't call compliance

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful caring people . The building had heat and air conditioning. We also have paper towels.

Cons

If you call compliance be prepared to have retaliation by every person in management. Even the worst complaints are ignored and the person they feel is responsible for the call is let go. Convenient "restructuring" as they call it.

What can I say? Perhaps a good house cleaning of middle and upper management is appropriate . Giving bonuses for being the best AH shouldn't be done

Area Director of Admissions Management

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

well known company on your resume

Cons

Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable. Very unrealistic of goals.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!