Kindred Healthcare

Updated September 14, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Management making rules as they go along.

Current Employee - Various  in  Lima, OH
    Current Employee - Various in Lima, OH

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loved the patients,families,co-workers, and physicians.

Cons

Discriminitory practices in the Lima,Ohio Kindred. One race is disciplined one way and the others terminated. You could get away with anything if mgnt liked you but if you complained they found reason to get rid of you.

Put qualified people in these positions that know policy and follow it.

Ups and Downs

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love my work environment, have learned many things to add to my skill set, have met some very good people at Kindred. I stay because my particular work environment, schedule, and rate of pay are satisfactory enough that I don't yet find the "cons" reason enough to leave.

Cons

I am personally offended that Kindred leadership opts to take benefits and pay raises from employees in the trenches while gifting upper management with ridiculously large bonuses. No one should be receiving extras while some are losing pieces of their standard benefits. No employee should be taking cuts while others are being lavished with extras.

I am also offended that with the insane buying power a company our size has, we do not have a better medical coverage plan. Kindred has huge bargaining power with so many employees. Instead, Kindred has given itself a cheaper price tag, leaving employees with ever shrinking coverage and ever increasing costs.

It is disheartening that we fill out these surveys every year and see no improvement. Kindred leadership can easily see where they are going wrong and the choice is consistently made to pursue profits and let the non-upper management employees hang.

Kindred Healthcare pays salaries on the low end of the scale. If you don't negotiate high coming in, you will soon have to go elsewhere to keep up with the increasing cost of living. Kindred has only given 1 pay raise in the past 5 or 6 years and this was not even a dismal 1%. Pay raises should be figured in to operational costs. Kindred has to pay more for everything else because inflation exists, employees have increasing costs, why would you think it is ok to skip out on raises and put your employees into hardship? If one does not receive raises sufficient to keep up with the cost of living increases, that person is losing money to stay with the company. I have seen many excellent employees go to greener pastures for better pay and benefits. I know of several more who are looking for new jobs and will be leaving soon. Kindred is losing talent due to their refusal to keep up with industry salaries and benefits.

No Christmas bonuses, no Thanksgiving turkey or ham. I've never worked for a company before that did not give a Christmas bonus.

Work life balance is fine, unless you want to take your PTO. My managers all take beautiful lengthy Christmas breaks that extend past New Years while we are not allowed to take more than a couple days. My managers are frequently on nice lengthy PTO breaks, but we are asked to flex time and work in advance instead of using our PTO. Then, we are only given a tiny window of opportunity to sell back the PTO we were not allowed to use and they only pay 70 or 75% of that value back. Not fair, since this is something we earned. It should be paid back 100% and we should be allowed to sell it when we need it or any time we reach the dreaded 160 hour PTO limit where we cease to accrue.

Even though I have listed a ton of complaints here, I personally enjoy my job and find my salary (for now) to be meeting most of my needs. I am happy with my job at the present time, but if the pay raises don't start keeping up with cost of living, there will come a time when I have to go.

My advice to Management is to pay attention to these reviews and your annual employee surveys. Almost everyone is angry about the lack of raises and the sub par benefits. Those of us with special skills and experience are being courted by recruiters all the time and these people are bringing strong offers. You are losing the talent that once made this company great. Weed out some of the deadwood. Cut back on your bonuses for the upper management and allow the people who really do the work and bring you the money to enjoy some of the good life. Happy employees will work themselves to death for you and spread good news about you to everyone they know.

Overall, good

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

It has Work/family life balance

Cons

Poor health benefits- too costly for a family

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sink or swim.

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

A wide variety of cases.

Cons

Patient prioritization changes by the second.

Caregiver-to-patient ratio needs to be lower to allow for appropriate care.

At will employment

Current Employee - STNA
    Current Employee - STNA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays a decent salary o employees and offer small amenities.

Cons

Will terminate an employee for little or no reason, and without evidence.

Happy employees are good employee. a facility is only as good as the employees that work there.

A place to hone your med-surg skills

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Common hospital setting that provides short-term acute care for patients with pressing health issues, when a quick recovery is unrealistic.

Cons

Personal growth within a facility; high turn over in nurses.

left blank intentionally

Tired

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

always busy, never boring environment

Cons

too many patients to care for

Get some more nurses

RN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

workload is too much, always busy

Cons

pay and benefit are good

Not For The Faint of Heart!

Former Employee - Nurse  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can think of very few good things about this particular establishment. I suppose this would provide a paycheck if you were jobless, but only until you find a better position elsewhere. Benefits are available for full and part time employees.

Cons

Seriously understaffed. This place needs a complete overhaul from management on down! Disorganization and miscommunication is routine here and forget about talking with your supervisor(s), as they either don't have time or don't care about your concerns. You will be approached on a regular basis to pick up extra shifts and made to feel guilty if you choose not to work extra. The work load is outrageous!

Work on retaining your employees-listen when they have concerns! More staff is a necessity to lighten the work load!!

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

THERE ARE NO PROS HERE.

Cons

Paperwork, Management, Corporate, Benefits and lack of adherence to code of conduct.

All ethical and work load standards are Humanly Impossible to a good person/therapist.

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!