Kindred Healthcare

Updated October 15, 2014
2.6

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz
Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • Great co workers including nurses and techs try their best (in 8 reviews)

• The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Not For The Faint of Heart!

Former Employee - Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can think of very few good things about this particular establishment. I suppose this would provide a paycheck if you were jobless, but only until you find a better position elsewhere. Benefits are available for full and part time employees.

Cons

Seriously understaffed. This place needs a complete overhaul from management on down! Disorganization and miscommunication is routine here and forget about talking with your supervisor(s), as they either don't have time or don't care about your concerns. You will be approached on a regular basis to pick up extra shifts and made to feel guilty if you choose not to work extra. The work load is outrageous!

Work on retaining your employees-listen when they have concerns! More staff is a necessity to lighten the work load!!

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

THERE ARE NO PROS HERE.

Cons

Paperwork, Management, Corporate, Benefits and lack of adherence to code of conduct.

All ethical and work load standards are Humanly Impossible to a good person/therapist.

kindred

Former Employee - Director of Activities in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Activities in Beverly, MA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working w/ the residents, my staff and social service department.

Cons

I was not informed that they were for sale when I was hired & was laid off w/ 1 week notice by fedex.

Ups and Downs

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love my work environment, have learned many things to add to my skill set, have met some very good people at Kindred. I stay because my particular work environment, schedule, and rate of pay are satisfactory enough that I don't yet find the "cons" reason enough to leave.

Cons

I am personally offended that Kindred leadership opts to take benefits and pay raises from employees in the trenches while gifting upper management with ridiculously large bonuses. No one should be receiving extras while some are losing pieces of their standard benefits. No employee should be taking cuts while others are being lavished with extras.

I am also offended that with the insane buying power a company our size has, we do not have a better medical coverage plan. Kindred has huge bargaining power with so many employees. Instead, Kindred has given itself a cheaper price tag, leaving employees with ever shrinking coverage and ever increasing costs.

It is disheartening that we fill out these surveys every year and see no improvement. Kindred leadership can easily see where they are going wrong and the choice is consistently made to pursue profits and let the non-upper management employees hang.

Kindred Healthcare pays salaries on the low end of the scale. If you don't negotiate high coming in, you will soon have to go elsewhere to keep up with the increasing cost of living. Kindred has only given 1 pay raise in the past 5 or 6 years and this was not even a dismal 1%. Pay raises should be figured in to operational costs. Kindred has to pay more for everything else because inflation exists, employees have increasing costs, why would you think it is ok to skip out on raises and put your employees into hardship? If one does not receive raises sufficient to keep up with the cost of living increases, that person is losing money to stay with the company. I have seen many excellent employees go to greener pastures for better pay and benefits. I know of several more who are looking for new jobs and will be leaving soon. Kindred is losing talent due to their refusal to keep up with industry salaries and benefits.

No Christmas bonuses, no Thanksgiving turkey or ham. I've never worked for a company before that did not give a Christmas bonus.

Work life balance is fine, unless you want to take your PTO. My managers all take beautiful lengthy Christmas breaks that extend past New Years while we are not allowed to take more than a couple days. My managers are frequently on nice lengthy PTO breaks, but we are asked to flex time and work in advance instead of using our PTO. Then, we are only given a tiny window of opportunity to sell back the PTO we were not allowed to use and they only pay 70 or 75% of that value back. Not fair, since this is something we earned. It should be paid back 100% and we should be allowed to sell it when we need it or any time we reach the dreaded 160 hour PTO limit where we cease to accrue.

Even though I have listed a ton of complaints here, I personally enjoy my job and find my salary (for now) to be meeting most of my needs. I am happy with my job at the present time, but if the pay raises don't start keeping up with cost of living, there will come a time when I have to go.

My advice to Management is to pay attention to these reviews and your annual employee surveys. Almost everyone is angry about the lack of raises and the sub par benefits. Those of us with special skills and experience are being courted by recruiters all the time and these people are bringing strong offers. You are losing the talent that once made this company great. Weed out some of the deadwood. Cut back on your bonuses for the upper management and allow the people who really do the work and bring you the money to enjoy some of the good life. Happy employees will work themselves to death for you and spread good news about you to everyone they know.

RN

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

workload is too much, always busy

Cons

pay and benefit are good

Long Term Acute Care Kindred Hospital Wyoming Valley: Director of Education

Current Employee - Director of Education in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Education in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work closely with all staff from every department. Excellent open door policy. Responsive senior leadership.
    Company values excellent patient care and ernestly works toward consistant, positive outcomes.

Cons

Sadly, our location is closing as our Host Hospital did not renew our contract. I believe we were left with too little time to find another host hospital in the area.

Keep up the good work with the many other Kindred Hospitals around the country.

Getting Better

Former Employee - ExecutiveDirector in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - ExecutiveDirector in Ogden, UT

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the region of the country you work in, Kindred can be great or terrible. Generally speaking you have the ability to run your facility the way you want. Lots of support resources and tools to do a good job. Great bonus structure.

Cons

Sometimes too large of an organization to affect true change in some areas. Can be very siloed which makes communication and collaboration very difficult.

Keep the employees informed of strategic changes and trust more what the local operators say about their individual markets.

Good Company to Work For

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

The company is an active participant in the evolving healthcare landscape. They have a culture of doing the right thing.

Cons

Benefits and turnover, and leadership instability

Continue to remained focused on improving employee relations and stabilizing leadership

Terrible

Former Employee - Certified Nurse Aide in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Certified Nurse Aide in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

It's considered a "hospital", but it's basically a skilled nursing facility with trach patients.

Cons

It is very clique ish. If you're not filipino, then don't expect help from anyone. Nurse yelled at me once when I needed help with a patient, CNAs hide, and they stand together in groups. If you don't speak Tagalog, you won't fit in.
    Oh, and don't report elderly abuse without doing it anonymously, they will fire you for retaliation.

Treat your CNAs equally.

Kindred Healthcare Response

Jun 18, 2014Human Resources

Given the serious nature of your concerns, the Compliance Department would like for you to provide additional details via the Compliance Hotline at (800) 359-7412.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Squire, Senior
    ... More

Not the best company I've worked for.

Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, resources, environment. The people I work with are great. Kindred provides the resources to get things done. The working environment is great, co-workers are genuinely concerned for patients and fellow co-workers.

Cons

Unkept promises, high turnover, sub-par benefits. Executive management constantly lie to employees about future plans to keep them from leaving. Constant cuts to workforce and benefits make it difficult to focus on job.

Keep your promises, get back to.caring about your people.

Kindred Healthcare Photos