Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
403 reviews filtered by

1. LNA/ New Hampshire - Nashua

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Registered in NH to get your tuition back.
    Residents really need help and most are sweet and appreciate you. Training nurse is amazing - LPNs & LNAa are great.

Cons

Understaffed
    Unfriendly HR n Corporate
    Low pay
    Lack of corporate management leading to lack of care to residents - heartbreaking how bored they are due to understaffing and not receiving the emotional support and companionship they so desperately need because of unreasonable expectations put upon RNs LPNs & LNAs .
    They only care about $$$ its a shame

Make it mandatory for EVERY suit to work a day per month on the floors to see what the residents REALLY need and how impossible to give quality care with the ridiculous time allotted to staff & equipment provided

2. Unorganized upper management

Current Employee - Staff RN in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Close to home, self schedule.

Cons

Health insurance is subpar to say the least. No 401k match. No REAL Benifits.

You will NEVER get or keep and abundance of quality nurses with the lack of Benifits you currently offer.

I have enjoyed rehab care and the small rehab hospital I work at in Austin, Texas

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small facility where people care about each other. Lots of great coworkers who care about our patients.

Cons

Benefits need to be improved.

Our managers work really hard to keep us properly staffed but have a difficult time with the budget allowances. 8 to 1 patient ratios are not ideal. 6 to 1 at a maximum is what needs to be set as the standard of practice and into policy somewhere. To have no set standard there makes it where if staffing is not available nurses could end up with no absolute maximum number of patients.

5. Not bad

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

I had good coworkers and we had good team work.

Cons

Low pay and Poor management

Considering a Career Change

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The comradery between the employees. The employees are swamped altogether and rely on each other's help so it creates comradery.

Cons

I really hope that the Kindred facilities given 2-5 stars actually exist. It is hard to go to work when you feel like a slave or when you feel you are partaking in patients' suffering. Forget the pay. Forget the benefits. Let's talk about patient safety and employee morale. This applies to every Kindred I've worked...

To save money on staffing and prevent overtime, they will use 1 CNA to 2 patients when a sitter is ORDERED by an MD for 1 to 1. On top of "sitting" for 2 confused patients whom endanger themselves, they will have 2 additional patients to care for. As the CNA is preventing one patient from pulling out his/her trach tube, the other confused patient is literally jumping out of bed requiring stat X-rays. These poor CNAs are put in a terrible position as they must choose which patient's situation is "less dangerous." We don't want any patient in danger. Many CNAs feel like they are treated "like scum."

Since RTs also do not have any national ratio laws, Kindred is willing to let the RTs run heavy with 18+ patients, at times, than call someone in because it creates overtime. Watching these RTs managing their 8+ ventilator patients is amazing; You have to take into account that while they are constantly monitoring weaning patients, they also assist nurses/CNAs with turning, lifting, serving meals when it is technically not their job. Many RTs feel that management does not appreciate them like the RTs are expendable; It seems the RT dept (which is important) is being treated like an inconvenient cost.

Nurses have their ratios, yes, however on top of their patient care (which includes medication, admissions, emergencies)... Tons of paperwork are thrown on top of workloads. Paperwork that probably should be done by a manager is passed on to supervisors and then to staff. The more your salary, the less work is what it seems. Nurses get yelled at by the patients, the visitors, the doctors, and administration via love notes. Nurses feel like they are forced to treat their patients like numbers.

Since Kindred has taken over, there are less patient care employees and more middle management. When the floors drown, the charge nurses and supervisors stay in their office. Apparently, the supervisor needs 2 charge nurses because of the added paperwork; this paperwork is done by the nurses with patients. Acuity is required documentation, but is irrelevant as it is not followed.

It seems as though Kindred allows patients' families to run their hospitals. While employees enforce rules which are posted in every unit (i.e. 2 visitors at a time, 2 chairs in each room, 20-min max per hour in ICU), administration caves and gives families clearance to take what is not theirs. This makes the staff look very stupid and cold-hearted. Since visiting hours are 24 hours, many families request so many pillows and blankets so they may make a bed atop 4 chairs. It will take a visitor 30 seconds of being irate and threatening for Kindred to give them what they want; Other patients are left without extra pillows or blankets if needed and now there's a fire hazard in multiple rooms.

I've witnessed many times... Every employee working is in a patient room doing care. 6 other different patients (or visitors) need someone and nobody is available. Again, EVERY employee is already busy doing something. Complaints about employees working as if rushed and/or not answering call lights immediately can stack, but most of the employees have only 2 hands. When those hands are on a patient, we take our time as to safely deliver care.

So the icing on the cake?
    Crappy pay and benefits.

It's quite simple, really.
    -Listen to your staff. We are the ones at patients' bedsides. They rely on us to communicate what they want and need. If we need equipment to better serve patients, at least consider it.
    -Respect your staff. We are the ones who get feces thrown our way. We get hit by the combative patients. If we are in danger, please do what's necessary to keep us safe as well.
    -Staff your units properly and based on acuity like it should. The bare minimum labor is doable with current staffing standards. But with the amount of work to each discipline, stopping to smile is almost not an option.

Allow these patients to be given the right to safe care. Emergencies can always happen at any time, but let's make them as avoidable as possible! Your patient care staff understands that this is a business, but please understand that we are not business majors. We are patient advocates. Being unable to care for our patients up to our own personal standards is disheartening NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE ARE ALL EACH PAID. It is so depressing. Of all the hospitals I've worked at... Kindred, yours has pushed me to want to leave this field. I've never seen patient care so blatantly trumped by money. I think it's time this company asks their employees what's REALLY GOING ON. Monitor how your CNOs, your managers and your supervisors are running each hospital.

Sales Marketing Reviews Documentation

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Hartford, CT

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Great Boss , very invested in their employee sucess.

Cons

They moved out of the state

great company for personal growth.

Lazy recruiters

Current Employee - PTA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PTA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

Usually have decent Co workers trying to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

Cons

No 401k match. No significant pay raises past 3 yrs. Hideous medical benefits (what a joke). Incompetent lazy recruiters (you will have to find your own way in) they will offer you jobs that don't exist and never call you back. Call the corporate onboarder to get assistance. She is the only one I found willing to do her job.

Put your recruiters on commission, they are guilty of taking your money and not giving you the quality employees you are looking for.

9. It was all a good experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strength of company is excellent. Many locations and a culture that cares about delivering services needed by patients and families.

Cons

Dealing with difficult patient situations. It is always sad to see people sick and see the concerns of their families.

Never forget that caring employees make the difference in the delivery of patient care.

10. Birchwood terrace health care

Former Employee - Social Worker in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Burlington, VT

I worked at Kindred Healthcare

Pros

How much we make a difference for the people we serve

Cons

Leadership in some departments not great

Stop spending money on little give away things and instead give your people raises.

11. Very busy long term acute care with ni regards to employees welfare

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly rehab team

Cons

Overwork, no team work with nursing rehab

Be open and communicate effectively and with respect

Kindred Healthcare Photos