Kindred Healthcare

Kindred Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Kindred Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Paul J. Diaz

Paul J. Diaz

Pros
  • The company not only preaches work life balance they live it (in 8 reviews)

• My pay is good , I'm a highschool dropout and they didn't really look at my resume so much as they looked at me as a competent individual (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was not always qualified for their position or knowledgable (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work

Prosnot very far for me to travel

Consnot alot of full time opening

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is very understanding, easy too work with.

Overall, patients' care done compassion and a great team of staff members there.

LVN (Former Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe actualization of seeing most of the patients being helped to the point of recovery.

ConsShortages of supplies mostly, occassionally equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Pretty Standard Corporation

Intern (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsCaring coworkers
    Competent and kind bosses
    Good perks/company bonding events

ConsSeems to be little to no career advancement
    Salary on the lower end of competitive
    Not innovative
    Coworkers seem to be content at their current position with no ambition o improve the outlook of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more structured career advancement opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No merit increases. Only given to upper management executives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsNone anymore. Used to be a great company to work for.

ConsOverwhelming amount of work. Not enough man power.
    No merit increases
    Terrible benefits-Perks getting taken away each year.

The worst job experience I have ever had in my professional career!

Clinical Liaison (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere isn't one positive thing I could say about Kindred Hospital. I find that to be very sad :(

ConsThe culture of the organization appears to be toxic. Very poor training. Marketing managers in my market were arrogant, unprofessional, & ignorant. If you did not agree with the management then you were bullied and targeted. There have been many of my colleagues that have shared with me similar experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to hire a private consultant to objectively assess the culture of the marketing managers in the territory I worked in. Exit interviews would have been appropriate. Give workshops for marketing managers on professionalism and inappropriate behavior.

One Star is way too many!!

Implementation Services Trainer (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThere is absolutly nothing positive about working for this company! I would like to say something positive, but there really is nothing nice to say. even when we traveled to the different hospitals, individual sites, the employees were unhappy.

ConsThis company offers no personal growth, very little in compensation and way to much of throwing employees under the bus! People come into the office everyday wondering who is going to be fired next.
    The nurse to patient ratio can be obscene! One hospital it was twelve (12) patients to one (1) nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you want to think about hiring qualified people in HQ??
    Maybe cut the senior management compensation and hire some more nurses??

terrible benefits that are cut even more every passing year . no raises in years

RN (Registered Nurse ASN) (Current Employee) Greenfield, IN

Prosfairly close to where i live. .

Consculture of fear used to keep employees from reporting terrible staff and working conditions. management unprofessional and childish .

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like disposable garbage

Impossible workload

Nurse (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThere are some really great nurses.

ConsThe bad staff out number the good. Management is very poor, so the bad staff will never be held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management needs replace

Not as bad as its reputation

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsThe care we gave was not as bad as I thought it would be based on the company's reputation, I was pleasantly surprised. The pay and benefits were comparable to other hospitals in the area. I generally liked my co-workers and even my bosses as people, even if they weren't always great at their jobs. I made friends there; my co-workers were laid back and not too ambitious/cut-throat. Good place to get promotions if that's your thing. The company should be grateful for the mostly insanely hard-working people who work there, especially the CNAs and nurses. It is physically and emotionally demanding job, and they have some very loyal, overworked and underpaid people there.

ConsVery strong focus on saving money, which led to stretching employees and resources/materials very thin, resulting in less than ideal quality of care and employee burnout. Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care. It was stressful and embarrassing dealing with frequent patient and family complaints. There was very little training, mentorship, or support, both for clinical staff and for leadership roles. Management was too focused on micromanaging tiny details and putting out fires instead of big picture thinking like staff education or quality improvement programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more focus on education and quality improvement, less on cutting costs and patient length of stays. Investing in education and quality will lead to the cost improvements and higher census by improving the company's reputation and preventing costly errors (that happen when your staff is overworked with inadequate resources and training). Weed out some of the lazy, incompetent people in management, this is very demoralizing. Hire more clinical staff, don't just add more middle management positions to try to squeeze more from less.

Business Development

Business Development (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood pay, bonus and benefits

ConsTop heavy with management in the field

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the field with employees

Worked for Kindred Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!