King County Library System

Bill Ptacek

Good working environment. Great benefits

Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The staff I worked with were understanding and supportive of each other. My supervisor was amazing and very accommodating with scheduling and vacation requests. Yearly raises to keep up with cost of living were nice.

Cons

May have to work late as well as weekends. Very difficult to get full-time 40 hour positions. May have to deal with very rude and unreasonable patrons.

Disheartening.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at King County Library System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, excellent benefits packages for those working more than 20 hours a week, and they provide tuition assistance for those pursuing degrees. Working in the branches is fun and rewarding.

Cons

More concerned with staff retention than having a functioning work force. Very few people have been let go despite known issues of theft, harassment, or just general incompetence. At the Service Center especially, employees who genuinely work hard and try to excel are browbeaten into submitting to the lowest common-denominator. Not a good place if you want to love coming to work everyday. Most people here resist change to a degree that borders on mental instability.

Hypocrisy and favoritism among certain mangers is rampant, and those in the system that have the clout to make a difference seem to prefer avoiding conflicts all together and shove personal issues under the rug. Staff turn over can be summed up simply as "Wait until they either die or retire."

Clean up the management. If even the people on the bottom of the ladder openly discuss how they wish KCLS would actually fire employees there are some real issues that need to be addressed.

Muh

Current Employee - Library Page in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Library Page in Kent, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid vacation and sick leave for part time staff.

Cons

No benefits for people under 20 hrs. The system does not want pages working 20 or more hrs. Little opportunity to advance and grow within system. Maybe things will change with new CEO.

Great

Former Employee - Library Page in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Library Page in Renton, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and Independent work environment

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of teens yelling after school, I think it could get dangerous

Great place to work - always keeping up with current trends.

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for training. Peers and staff are positive and encouraging creating a stimulating environment. Substitute hours available. New services are frequently added to keep up with patron needs; this keeps patrons happy.

Cons

Many positions require weekend work. Schedules can change frequently. Path to advancement is long and can be difficult to navigate.

Excellent job setting yearly priorities and following through with them.

Former Library Page

Former Employee - Library Page in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Library Page in Woodinville, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid vacation and sick leave for part time staff, regular schedule and public salary information.

This was a great high school job, I wish I could have kept it in college.

Cons

A lot of staff was unhappy and primarily female employees led to some office politics. While I was there, they changed the process for subbing which was unfortunate because I couldn't get hours over the summer like I used to and it would've been nice to still be able to sub after graduation.

Good work environment, poor follow-up to job applicants

Current Employee - Pager (Volunteer)
    Current Employee - Pager (Volunteer)

I have been working at King County Library System

Pros

The staff is incredibly positive, supportive, & appreciative to me as a volunteer. The atmosphere is upbeat & helpful to patrons, even when the library is very busy.

Cons

Would like to see volunteers considered first for those job openings of an identical or similar nature to the duties they are already performing within the system as library volunteers.

When an applicant, especially one of your volunteers, applies for an open job position, please have the courtesy to acknowledge or get back to us regarding the status of our application.