King County Library System

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Ptacek

KCLS takes care of its employees & patrons

Public Services Assistant (Current Employee)
Shoreline, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Great benefits, health, dental, mental health perks, all paid for by KCLS (Dependents are paid for by employee) for employees with 20+ hours, starting right away
-Great potential to move up in system, but there is a cap on raises (5 years)
-Can be a very positive, rewarding work environment, depending on branch location and management
-You work for the community, not a corporation.

Cons-Hard to get in unless you start at entry level.
-Quality of management vastly varies from branch to branch
-KCLS is going through many staffing changes and they are currently searching for a new Director for the system
-Library branches close to transit centers typically have more behavioral problems

Advice to Senior ManagementTo APT - please visit the branches as much as possible. We like to know you have a good understanding of how decisions made above affect us at ground level. Ask the employees what they think about potential changes branch level protocol, listen to feedback.

To local management at branches - focus on fostering a team-oriented group. The more they feel like you have their back, the happier and more functional they will be. Morale will be high and your job will be easier.

Muh

Library Page (Current Employee)
Kent, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time for more than 8 years

ProsPaid vacation and sick leave for part time staff.

ConsNo benefits for people under 20 hrs. The system does not want pages working 20 or more hrs. Little opportunity to advance and grow within system. Maybe things will change with new CEO.

Great

Library Page (Former Employee)
Renton, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time for more than a year

ProsComfortable and Independent work environment

ConsSometimes there is a lot of teens yelling after school, I think it could get dangerous

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work - always keeping up with current trends.

I have been working at King County Library System part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities for training. Peers and staff are positive and encouraging creating a stimulating environment. Substitute hours available. New services are frequently added to keep up with patron needs; this keeps patrons happy.

ConsMany positions require weekend work. Schedules can change frequently. Path to advancement is long and can be difficult to navigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent job setting yearly priorities and following through with them.

Former Library Page

Library Page (Former Employee)
Woodinville, WA

I worked at King County Library System part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid vacation and sick leave for part time staff, regular schedule and public salary information.

This was a great high school job, I wish I could have kept it in college.

ConsA lot of staff was unhappy and primarily female employees led to some office politics. While I was there, they changed the process for subbing which was unfortunate because I couldn't get hours over the summer like I used to and it would've been nice to still be able to sub after graduation.

Good work environment, poor follow-up to job applicants

Pager (Volunteer) (Current Employee)

I have been working at King County Library System

ProsThe staff is incredibly positive, supportive, & appreciative to me as a volunteer. The atmosphere is upbeat & helpful to patrons, even when the library is very busy.

ConsWould like to see volunteers considered first for those job openings of an identical or similar nature to the duties they are already performing within the system as library volunteers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an applicant, especially one of your volunteers, applies for an open job position, please have the courtesy to acknowledge or get back to us regarding the status of our application.

Worked for King County Library System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King County Library System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for King County Library System CEO Bill Ptacek. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by King County Library System employees.