King County

Be The First To
Add Photos

King County King County Executive Dow Constantine

Dow Constantine

Pros
  • Great benefits, stable employment, good people dedicated to public service(in 10 reviews)

• Good pay for the public sector, good benefits for now,(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • But the people in management positions didn't get there by being the difference(in 2 reviews)

• Hard to find similar motivated employees, management seems a bit to "old school" in it's slow thinking/reaction processes(in 2 reviews)

Its been a wonderful experience at King County.

Applications Developer Senior (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood staff
    Excellent Workplace environment
    Wonderful Manager
    Exciting Work

ConsSome processes are old and they are changing, but the change itself is slow.

Wow.. Not what I was expecting.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood people
    A Pension
    Decent Salary
    Good health benefits
    Stability if you can handle the slow pace on accomplishing

ConsKCIT is in a state of flux.
    Lack of resources to support current projects.
    No projects created for some major initiatives
    Staff seems to be in fire fighting mode all of the time.
    We are too busy doing operations no time to plan or discuss what we actually need to accomplish
    Bad Morale!
    Work/Pay/Bonus is not based on Performance
    Always finding the cheapest way of doing things, which may not be the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to staff and be honest. Establish trust and not a fear based working environment. Trust your employees

Poor culture

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsPublic service, a few good apples

ConsPolitics, too many layers of management, no real leadership, fear-based mode of operating

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a vision and improve employee morale.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Prosethical organization progressive and great to work

Consnot enough hours in the day

Very Organized - by the book

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslarge comapny - over all good efforts for the community - clear cut and consistent

ConsSo large just one of the many worker bees,

Great benefits, interesting work, practical leadership, but still struggling with decades-old HR practices

Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits, and a really supportive environment -institutionally, and personally in my office- when I had to go on family medical leave a few years back. Some hours and telecommuting flexibility (not the same across the County), great for a snow day and for family needs. In an office of workaholics, the boss models strong work-life balance and helpfully reminds us to go home to prevent burnout. Upper-level leadership shows a sincere commitment to continuous improvement and recognizing the value of its workforce. My particular office allows some opportunity to learn about and work with different County services and staff, listens to my input, and rarely (if ever) asks for work products and recommendations that won't be factored into decision-making (an improvement from some earlier years).

ConsMy non-union position happens to have deadlines unpalatable for summer vacations, and all that energy around continuous improvement some times leads to confusing guidance. Emphasis on the value of the workforce comes with the baggage of Old Union inertia, as well as antiquated employment practices that move like molasses, and are mainly based on seniority. See: average age is around 55 here. Currently has a convoluted (if extant at all) career path for my particular position, which management is working on fixing but results are not clear yet. I have seen quite a few good, bright colleagues leave for lack of advancement opportunities. Folks in my office are very empowered, but it can be tedious and painful to deal with some of the extremely bureaucratic functions of the County to get something done. The need for consensus-building, and consensus re-building can at times feel overwhelmingly tiresome. The slow grind of organizational change can seem glacial too.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to forge the path toward greater transparency and the admirable goal of being the best-run government in the U.S., but maybe work on minimizing use of different and confusing vocabulary/jargon to underlings, and moderate any frequent shifts in guidance so folks don't feel like they're re-working. Give them a chance to work on what you've already given them to do. The promise of "walking the walk" and modeling behavior was a really inspiring and exciting thing to hear about leadership saying they would do, but it is not always clearly done or communicated.

Front desk worker for medical clinc

Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat hours, rate of pay

ConsTo many bosses and policy changes

Advice to Senior ManagementMore individual attention to employees - not all are the same

I was very satisfied with my postion at King County.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPeople are very passionate about their work and usually have the publics best interest at heart.

ConsIt is a very political environment

Love my job

ProsDoing something good for people everyday.

ConsWay to top heavy. Cuts should be made at higher levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview management staff with an eye towards efficiency.

King County Solid Waste Division has a very negative work enviroment.

Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) Maple Valley, WA

ProsGood place to work with yound family because easy to get time off, don't have to work if you don't want to.

ConsNegative work enviroment, poor management, unprofessional, no accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Worked for King County? Contribute to the Community!