King Soopers

Updated January 24, 2015
2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Its Meh..

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

great work environment. Felt like family

Cons

Minimum wage. Managements goals is to pay their employees the least they can

Keep the good people by paying them accordingly. Don't be stingy.

Helps me pay my bills, but I'd leave in a heart beat

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Management pay is decent, guaranteed 40 hours, produce is considerably easy

Cons

This always changing company is constantly thinking of ways to beat wal mart instead of taking care of their number one assest, their employees! The turnover rate is extremely scary and very alarming. It's even scarier that the turnover in managers is just as bad, because no one wants the constant nagging. The pay difference between clerk and manager is minimal, the only difference is the guaranteed full time status and so many headaches. This company has the biggest micro managers in the world. If corporate sends an email, I'm going to be forwarded that email and spoke to about that email by atleast 5 people. No one is taught to trust you as a department head, so expect to feel like a child at all times. Your expected to schedule a computer program and hit a certain percentage based on what they think you need to help customers, but expect your and everyone else's schedule to change because the program simply doesn't work, but don't worry, I'll sit upstairs two hours a week playing with graphs to satisfy the program only to be told it's not benefiting the store, lol. I've been asked numerous times to apply for store management, and with 12 years with the company, i know i could run my own store and would do very well, unfortunately, being on call 24/7, working 10+ hours a day, nagging your employees instead of coaching and developing, the constant stress from district management and higher... it's not worth it. That should scare this company, but they will promote anyone as long as your breathing, there are plenty of people above my position that are no where near deserving of their title, who get very little respect from the people who work under them. I could literally write a novel..

trust your department heads to run their departments. This job is not fun anymore. It's only a matter of time until you have no one with seniority or experience doing this job, when the appropriate and well experienced people have left or chosen to step down. Quit the "i got you" crap. Surprise visits and surprise walks are nothing but annoying. No one trusts your doing your job, so district management will walk stores unannounced and make your life hell, regardless of sick calls or lack of good help.

Enough to get started

Former Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

Good place to get started. You can definately pay for colledge or just living of you get an APC position.

Cons

Management sometimes goes hunting for witch trials. I watched the store manager of my store fire 5 people in a 3 month time period for issues that could've been resolved without terminations. Theres also a fair amount of questionable on the verge of discriminatory practices on store.

Management doesn't listen to their employees, I doubt they would listen to a former one

Long time employee

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Employees are great. Good working relationships among hourly employees and management. Pay is good, benefits are good

Cons

Too much is expected of everyone. Not enough hours or people to do regular tasks. No work life balance at all. Expected to be at company's beck and call.

Store managers are too concerned with numbers from above. Need to focus on happy employees

Pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Good hours and honors my school schedule.

Cons

Can be understaffed so gets crazy busy at times

Easy, if you aren't mentally challenged you can perform this job.

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Probably the easiest most laid back job I have had

Cons

Sometimes you get 4-6 hour shifts which are frustrating. Also a lot of the times you dont know your schedule for the upcoming week until Sunday.

Promote the best individuals rather than seniority.

Satisfight most of the time.

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company for advancement. Friendly Associates, Good benefits once you are el[gible

Cons

It's a retail job, so you have to work Weekends and Holidays.

Not always appriciative, Some Assistant Store Managers are in a position they should't be in. Don't back up some of the Department Managers. Not consistant with decipline.

Deli manager

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

awesome place to move up

Cons

not so awesome work like balance

One train wreck after another

Former Employee - Assistant Manager General Merchandise
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager General Merchandise

I worked at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours a week (was in management)
    Great pay
    401k, decent vacation time

Cons

No schedule constancy
    Upper management never happy with sales, even with double digit growth. For example, we had those tablets for $49.99. I kept getting constant emails saying they were unhappy with sales and to make pages every hour. Let me be honest with you, the reason why these are not selling is because they are CRAP! You get what you pay for.
    Hostile work environment...seriously a high school environment. Gossip, coworkers sleeping with each other, etc.
     Distribution after distribution or silly products. I was in a conference call with upper management who them self said space is limited. So what do they do? They send 10+ pallets of crap that will sit in the back for weeks and weeks.
    The amount of work they expect in an 8 hour shift is unbelievable. I was expected to throw load, fill holes before prime time scan for out of stocks, work in seasonal, do hourly refresh walks, work cigarette repack daily for "best practices". Good luck.
    Those are just a few cons from working here. I would not curse this company on my worst enemy.

STOP being so greedy with starting wage. You expect courtesy clerks to bag groceries, clean up vomit, get carts in freezing weather, do shopbacks, cashier when busy for $8.00 an hour. EIGHT DOLLARS! My Clerks were paid $8.10, part time. Full time is pretty much gone. From the union, 70% of King Soopers workers are part time. Why do you ask? They don't have to pay benefits, no health insurance, etc. No holiday pay expect Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    I have seen many great people leave this company because of the reasons above. You people have this mentally that there is an endless amount of workers in this state, but I think you are seeing it now. Never have I seen you making the SAA stand out front trying to entice people to work here. Having job fairs, making constant ads on the PA system.
    All I can say is Good luck.

Not somewhere I would recommend

Current Employee - Meat Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Meat Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at King Soopers (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grew price on health benefits.

Cons

Everywhere is short staffed. Negative work environment. Very low starting wages, and it takes years before getting benefits. Terrible training. Low levels of support from upper management.

While this has potential to be a good place to work, you should really consider raising your starting wages to help get your stores staffed properly. Waiting years for benefits is completely un reasonable, and I don't see how a company can morally do that where people are forced to work so hard.