King Soopers

Be The First To
Add Photos

King Soopers President Russ Dispense

Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 7 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissapointing

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsThe best benefit to working at Kroger is that you can easily work. As long as you pass a drug test, and appear upbeat you will be hired at any King Soopers store. There are several stores opening throughout North America and you can transfer to different locations upon request. As long as you have passed the probation period. The job is also very repetitive so you can quickly learn your job duties. If you work in the Deli department, like i did...you can sample foods whenever there is free time and no customers to help.

ConsI would never recommend working for this company because it is too political, there are favorites. It has a seniority based structure so there are many new people working themselves to the bone( with very little reward) while a select few make double the pay and pass all the job duties to those with less seniority. There is no schedule flexibility....those higher few choose the hours they want and everyone else is stuck with the rest. Commonly you will work weekends and late evenings and any other peak business hour, holiday, etc. Schedules are always changing without prior notice and you are expected to have perfect attendance. You will not be able to request time off for vacation or shift swap. You may be required to pay weekly union dues depending on which department you are in.ultimately you will be hassled by seniors to maintain a high level of output without training and with little help. You will be payed next to nothing and will work outrageously hard. Work injuries are extremely common. The stores are always under staffed and thus very busy. The job is so physical you will be in pain by the end of your work day. Back, neck, feet, eyes, arms, all sore. It is way too much work and expectations for way too little compensation. YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

Two years of a massive headache.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only reason i liked working there was the fellow co workers that I grew to become friends with.

ConsThe entire management team has to be the con at the store that I worked at. The only person that would be excluded from that is a head clerk that was very awesome and treated everyone with respect. The people I'm talking about is BOTH assistant managers, and the main store manager. I'm going to give you a very condensed version of what happened with me. Essentially, the beginning of the end of my two year rein at kingsoopers started when a customer accused me of opening up chemicals that some how got all over her floor and "ruined her floor." The management, took me into "the booth" as we call it, and basically accused me of opening the chemicals. One of the assistant managers I guess got copies of the pictures that she took of her ruined floor and showed me them talking to me as if I ruined the floor. Needless to say after that all happened, I filed a grievance with the union. After that one grievance, it spiraled out of control from there they basically started targeting me for EVERYTHING. One day, I was allowed to go home early, but before I was on carts when I left I had filled the carts up as much as I could for one person. The next day, they call me in the office and give me a verbal warning because I "left no carts in the store" when I know I filled it up as best as I could for one person. The manager informed me that I could come in and ask for help if I'm having trouble keeping up. {fast forward a couple weeks or so this is what led me to walk out, but I didn't quit} I was on carts and couldn't keep up because it was beyond busy! I came in asked for help and was ignored completely! So when I was done with my hour I came back in and was made to go back out and I asked for help and was promised to have someone go out there with me! I was out there for 15 minutes, and noticed NO one out there. I went back in and I had another cc come up and tell me that the manager told them not to go out and help me GREAT management right?? so I went over to the time clock, clocked out and left!!! I did come back the next day and was put on suspension, but I got union involved so I was on my fifth and final. Needless to say they didn't stop targeting me I was even called in the office once because I didn't "smile at the assistant manager or any of the customers" WHILE I WAS ON CARTS MIND YOU?ridiculous. Needless to say and wrapping this up I was eventually fired because of them targeting me. I was fired for calling off for TWO days without a doctors note???? when its THREE OR MORE. They say that it was because I was on my fifth and final, but it doesn't matter its going against THEIR OWN policy. Also I was fired on the 24th of may, and its JUNE 16!!!! and I haven't got my last check!!!! and I got a hold of the labor board.

Absolutely Horrible

Night Crew (Current Employee) Gunbarrel, CO

ProsPaid once a week, decent checks

ConsManagement was horrendous and rude

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked as night crew for three months and had to quit it was so bad! My manager on my very first night there told me I shouldn't work there because I am a girl! Then he proceeded to cut my hours from 40 a week to three! I would come in at one in the morning and he would tell me they didn't need me and to come back the next day at that hour. This continued for WEEKS before it was finally solved. My manager was emotionally unstable and would start screaming at employees and then would be nowhere to be found after that. Worst job I have ever had

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are very few "pros"about Kings. One of them is the benefits however you only get them once you have been there a year and your not a C.C.

Conseverything. The pay is so not worth the work! You work hard and get paid very little almost nothing. On top of that how long it takes to get benefits. A year or longer depending on where you are. People drop like flies due to the fact of finding jobs that pay WAY better!

Advice to Senior Managementpay your people better and let them get benefits sooner! If the workers are happy and feel like they are wanted the will give 110% or more when working!

Terrible Employee Relations and Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCater to the young, allow bad customer service and theft from employees.

ConsAge discrimination By Management,! benefits don't start for 1year, wages are lower than what you expect. BAD! Training is terrible throughout the store.

Good place to start. Bad place to stay. Clerk to cake decorater

Cake Decorator (Current Employee) Lakewood, CO

Pros- Decent health Insurance
    -Weekly pay check
    - Always looking for people

Cons-Terrible management
    -Over-worked, under paid
    -lazy secretaries

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees equal happy customers. When one of them comes to you for a problem or needs help, listen to them. Don't lie and abuse them. The management is lazy, and constantly lies tot he employees. If something goes wrong due to their lack of communication, it's the employees fault, never theirs. If the employee is overwhelmed, they don't care.

Just from my own experience, they won't train but continuously say they will. They will under pay you but still expect you to run a department alone.

This company is just terrible, but if you really need a job. They always hire.

Bad they lie all the time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosno pros not a good company to work for

Consbenefits cut in half pay raisnes are slow no reconition for hard work

Advice to Senior Managementput in people that are employee friendly not corporate money grabbers

Don't work here unless you absolutely have NO choice.

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

Pros-Friendly employees in most departments
    -2 paid breaks

Cons-When you're new, you have union initiation fees ripped from each paycheck until it accumulates $200
    -Union fees ($10) taken out no matter what
    -Bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked just as hard as everyone else in the department. Management treated me as if I never worked hard enough just because I was young; Moms with kids are not the only "hard workers".

only work here as a last resort

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you need a fast job with ok pay and at lease 20 hours a week.

ConsHave to work different shifts. you will close at midnight and be opening 8 hours later. the tier system sucks, everybody get different holiday pay and Sunday pay. and the union is only around to take your money. the turn over rate is huge.

Advice to Senior Managementis their a reason no one wants to be a grocery manager.

Terrible

Checker (Current Employee) Brighton, CO

ProsThey pay you consistently, otherwise there really is not anything else positive to say about working here.

ConsThey frequently tell you one thing, and then do something different. They tell you upfront that you can get days off if you request them a week or two in advance, but this is just not true. It all depends on your seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better.

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!