King Soopers Reviews

Reset
2.8
King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It takes a long time to get Full time (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

1. King Soopers

I worked at King Soopers full-time

Pros

This was a good company to work for. They offered a competitive wage and good benefits.

Cons

Work place politics, favoritism and nepotism

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You crap on your hard hitters and coddle your kiss ups

Nice and long hours, great coworkers, not so nice ethics

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

On paper you're part time, but in reality I was doing 50-70 hours a week which made my first raise a breeze to obtain. I was also in the highest pay tier as an all purpose clerk (APC) meaning my pay went up faster than employees in other departments and thus tiers. There were many opportunities to jump around and take on more responsibilities but on the condition that any ascension didn't imply a formal promotion.

Cons

-incredibly understaffed but instead of hiring more people they just told us to work harder and faster and eventually wrote up my entire department -very invested in appearance, a million things could be wrong with how a department works or what standards the workers hold themselves to but upper management only cares about how you look when you're doing it -employees are treated like paperwork and risks, not people -scheduled 6 days a week without being asked first because our department was down 3 people due to attrition

Advice to Management

Please try to understand what people are willing and capable of doing. Don't push your workers so hard with absolutely no promise of reward for them. For instance, my manager predicated my own promotion on getting their promotion first if our department just "worked harder."

3. Bagger

Former Employee - Bagger in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Bagger in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, tons of people to engage with.

Cons

Tedious work. Samething over and over again.

5. Minimum wage pay for doing the amount of work for 3 people, elders say they've gone downhill since Kroger bought them!

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work was like a workout so I didn't have to go to the gym anymore but 4 hours in the sun pushing 6 carts at a time in one day is a bit much! The sunburns and possible skin cancer in your older age are sure to be there if you make the courtesy clerk position a career. No offer of complimentary sunscreen or water either....

Cons

It is near impossible to support yourself financially let alone having money to have a fun day or to buy some new clothes and completely forget having a family! A perfect 40 hour week at min wage is only $249! Don't bother telling the store manger that any customers are harassing you... It's a waste of time, they do nothing! Which is just appalling! If you are disabled in anyway I do not suggest this position as a CC. The two years you have to wait for health insurance is a slap in the face as well!

Advice to Management

Fight to hire the amount of people you need to have a successful day! Pay them a living wage($12+/hr)!! Then try giving them more hours and in one day!!! That 4 hour shift is a joke when there are no tips involved! That is $23 for a day's work after taxes at $8/hr! Certainly you don't expect an adult to pay their rent with that and that is barely a cheap dinner for four! Hey kids, sorry no lunch or breakfast!

6. Deli Clerk

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The store that I work at is very fast paced so there is always something to do. The top out pay is amazing, and the longer you stay the better the benefits. Easy to make a good career if you are willing to get it.

Cons

It seems like some of Management only cares about the numbers they report to their uppers instead of making sure The customers are getting quick efficient service.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay raises, insurance, and paid vacation

Cons

you have to be there a long time to make enough to survive on your own or get any schedule you want

Advice to Management

give a higher minimum hours. 20 hours a week is not enough to live on unless you have a roommate and make at least $13 an hour

8. Pre-employment screening

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My wife shops there regularly, but I have not always heard positive things about the working conditions. The HR does not contact you to confirm if negative information they find is correct or not. The credit repoting agencies will post information without verifying if it pertains to you, but it takes time and expense to have it corrected.

Cons

My on-line application was accepted and I began receiving daily emails of postings at various stores in my area. i received an email stating I did not have qualifications for a courtesy clerk and no longer receive the emails. Either someone does not like the fact that I filled in duringthe 1994 strike, or erroneous credit reporting infomation is being used to eliminate candidates from consideration. The cresit reporting agency data is not verified as accurate. A third party other than Experian, Equinox or Transunion is being used. Erroneous information about a person with a similar name on my profile has been removed from all three primary credit rpoting agencies. But some third party firms post out-of-date information without verifying its accuracy. Their fine print says it is not to be used to determine eleigibility for hiring, credit, etc.

Advice to Management

Verify a person's identity and background information with one of the there Experian, Transition or Equiifax. Other credit or personal information sites do not verify information that they post. The also include a footnote that their information is not to be used for purposes of hiring, credit applications, etc. Data pertaining to another person with diffferent middle name, birth year and places of employment has been removed from the Transition, Equinox and Experian but still appears pn sites like per finder or other snooping sites.

9. Looks good on a resume

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid for PTCB materials, hours flexible

Cons

starting pay is atrocious. 12.50 for certified technicians is lagging in industry pay. get this job for experience and find something with better pay/benefits.

10. A Review

Pros

ONLY the dedicated personnel I work with. They remain dedicated because of their personal integrity, not any incentive provided by King Sooper AKA Kroger.

Cons

Poor Management ( at the Senior Level) Staffing shortages with additional work load imposed on those dedicated Lack of implementation of employee input Way too low wages Union v Company - Us v Them Get rid of it by negotiating or decertification of Union by becoming an employer of choice because Management wants to attract and retain good employees

Advice to Management

As a Management employee in a variety of industries to include Food and Beverage and Telecommunication I was a patron of King Soopers believing the empolyees were handsomely compensated. Not so much. Please get out of your Victorian mentality. Pay the BEST wages, the BEST benefits with or without the Union. The service we provide will attract the revenue to the bottom line with the best in personnel.

11. Kings

Current Employee - Checker in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Checker in Parker, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed the number of hours you are asked for, paid weekly, 4x fuel points, 10% off Kroger products, multiple benefits

Cons

Seniority, low pay, no weekends off, odd hours, not much room to move up, one extra dollar per hour on holidays

Advice to Management

Increase the wage, give staurdays off, pay time and a half on holidays

RSS Feed </> Embed