King Soopers

Updated August 20, 2014

2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 7 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

King Soopers is a Kroger Company and it is an awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Management  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

Pros

Many opportunities and long term employment.

Cons

Although King Soopers has tried to focus on work-life balance, that remains an on-going struggle.

Work Life Balance needs more focus.

Family Life, Forget About It!

Former Employee - Assistant General Merchandise Department Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant General Merchandise Department Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Can advance quickly if you are highly motivated, and hard working

Cons

You are owned by the company. If you are looking for a balance of work and a family, this job isn't for you!

Treat your employees with the same measure of dignity and respect you show your customers

Overworked and underpaid. The management is generally, young and as a result arrogant and insensitive.

Pros

Other employees are kind, hard-working people. The intake training is very good. Minimum wage is not enough to live on. Turnover rate is very high.

Cons

Little support for employees trying to go to school.

Get organized and keep your promises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Pros

Money, customers, benefits, hours,locations could become a career

Cons

Management, clicks, unprofessional, hours, debt work with several schedule

Hard work, little pay.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Loveland, CO

Pros

Coworkers are friendly, and I love my regular customers. It's a good place to learn how to work hard. I've learned a lot of valuable skills here.
    If management was more professional and understanding towards employees under them, this would be a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Management is disrespectful. I'm afraid to ask questions, because I'm always treated like I'm stupid, no matter how legitimate the question is. Training was a joke, management expects perfection on the second day of training, I've watched too many people quit because expectations were too high, too soon. (for god's sake give somebody at least 2 weeks to get to know the product!)
    Pay should be higher, not because the work is hard, or the customers demanding, BUT the management is emotionally draining.

We are not your verbal punching bags, we're your employees, we're human.
    Don't belittle employees every time they have questions.
    We have lives outside of King Soopers, scheduling at the very last minute is discouraging.
    Not calling employees when you change their shift for the very next day and they won't see the change until it's too late...unprofessional, irresponsible, and says a lot about how much you care about your employees.

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

The best benefit to working at Kroger is that you can easily work. As long as you pass a drug test, and appear upbeat you will be hired at any King Soopers store. There are several stores opening throughout North America and you can transfer to different locations upon request. As long as you have passed the probation period. The job is also very repetitive so you can quickly learn your job duties. If you work in the Deli department, like i did...you can sample foods whenever there is free time and no customers to help.

Cons

I would never recommend working for this company because it is too political, there are favorites. It has a seniority based structure so there are many new people working themselves to the bone( with very little reward) while a select few make double the pay and pass all the job duties to those with less seniority. There is no schedule flexibility....those higher few choose the hours they want and everyone else is stuck with the rest. Commonly you will work weekends and late evenings and any other peak business hour, holiday, etc. Schedules are always changing without prior notice and you are expected to have perfect attendance. You will not be able to request time off for vacation or shift swap. You may be required to pay weekly union dues depending on which department you are in.ultimately you will be hassled by seniors to maintain a high level of output without training and with little help. You will be payed next to nothing and will work outrageously hard. Work injuries are extremely common. The stores are always under staffed and thus very busy. The job is so physical you will be in pain by the end of your work day. Back, neck, feet, eyes, arms, all sore. It is way too much work and expectations for way too little compensation. YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

Two years of a massive headache.

Pros

The only reason i liked working there was the fellow co workers that I grew to become friends with.

Cons

The entire management team has to be the con at the store that I worked at. The only person that would be excluded from that is a head clerk that was very awesome and treated everyone with respect. The people I'm talking about is BOTH assistant managers, and the main store manager. I'm going to give you a very condensed version of what happened with me. Essentially, the beginning of the end of my two year rein at kingsoopers started when a customer accused me of opening up chemicals that some how got all over her floor and "ruined her floor." The management, took me into "the booth" as we call it, and basically accused me of opening the chemicals. One of the assistant managers I guess got copies of the pictures that she took of her ruined floor and showed me them talking to me as if I ruined the floor. Needless to say after that all happened, I filed a grievance with the union. After that one grievance, it spiraled out of control from there they basically started targeting me for EVERYTHING. One day, I was allowed to go home early, but before I was on carts when I left I had filled the carts up as much as I could for one person. The next day, they call me in the office and give me a verbal warning because I "left no carts in the store" when I know I filled it up as best as I could for one person. The manager informed me that I could come in and ask for help if I'm having trouble keeping up. {fast forward a couple weeks or so this is what led me to walk out, but I didn't quit} I was on carts and couldn't keep up because it was beyond busy! I came in asked for help and was ignored completely! So when I was done with my hour I came back in and was made to go back out and I asked for help and was promised to have someone go out there with me! I was out there for 15 minutes, and noticed NO one out there. I went back in and I had another cc come up and tell me that the manager told them not to go out and help me GREAT management right?? so I went over to the time clock, clocked out and left!!! I did come back the next day and was put on suspension, but I got union involved so I was on my fifth and final. Needless to say they didn't stop targeting me I was even called in the office once because I didn't "smile at the assistant manager or any of the customers" WHILE I WAS ON CARTS MIND YOU?ridiculous. Needless to say and wrapping this up I was eventually fired because of them targeting me. I was fired for calling off for TWO days without a doctors note???? when its THREE OR MORE. They say that it was because I was on my fifth and final, but it doesn't matter its going against THEIR OWN policy. Also I was fired on the 24th of may, and its JUNE 16!!!! and I haven't got my last check!!!! and I got a hold of the labor board.

I have learned how to work with the public , and found that it is something I enjoy doing.

Former Employee - Deli Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

I enjoyed working for King Soopers because I was able to work with the public , talking to different people everyday hearing people talk about there lives. you become friends with customers.

Cons

Managers are not always fair, they form an opinion of you before they really get to know you, especially if you transfer from another store, they read your file and pass judgment on you, if you are PT you are lucky to get 20 hours a week and even if you are making journeyman wages its hard to make ends meet, and if you have another job they do not work with you they think that King Soopers should be your life

to always work hard, be fair, never pass judgment and do the best you can, never give up, treat people the way you want to be treated

Beware the hiring hoopla and non-disclosures

Former Employee - Culinary Head Chef  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Culinary Head Chef in Denver, CO

Pros

Decent pay, in a pinch. Long-term pay is a joke.

Cons

They tend to hire individuals into their organization at whatever the company's maximum salary cap is for that position. This makes the job look like it pays more on paper and, to be fair, it does - technically. The difference is, after that, there are NO MORE RAISES. Cost-of-living increases, sure - but nothing based upon merit. This, then, dis-incentivizes anyone to actually care about their job.

Review HR policies and practices, and loosen the grip on the wallet. In my time there, I've watched star employees leave due to the wall they hit with their pay.

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk

Pros

Co-workers are a lot of fun and there's a good team spirit.

Cons

Managers tend to be chosen by length of service instead of competence for the job. Almost-insane regard for long years of service. Dept. managers chosen by "who's next in line," instead of critical examination of the person's skills, leadership abilities, and maturity.

Share some of the benefits of "first-tier" employees with the large and growing number of underpaid "second-tier" employees.

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!