King Soopers

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One train wreck after another

Former Employee - Assistant Manager General Merchandise
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager General Merchandise

I worked at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours a week (was in management)
    Great pay
    401k, decent vacation time

Cons

No schedule constancy
    Upper management never happy with sales, even with double digit growth. For example, we had those tablets for $49.99. I kept getting constant emails saying they were unhappy with sales and to make pages every hour. Let me be honest with you, the reason why these are not selling is because they are CRAP! You get what you pay for.
    Hostile work environment...seriously a high school environment. Gossip, coworkers sleeping with each other, etc.
     Distribution after distribution or silly products. I was in a conference call with upper management who them self said space is limited. So what do they do? They send 10+ pallets of crap that will sit in the back for weeks and weeks.
    The amount of work they expect in an 8 hour shift is unbelievable. I was expected to throw load, fill holes before prime time scan for out of stocks, work in seasonal, do hourly refresh walks, work cigarette repack daily for "best practices". Good luck.
    Those are just a few cons from working here. I would not curse this company on my worst enemy.

STOP being so greedy with starting wage. You expect courtesy clerks to bag groceries, clean up vomit, get carts in freezing weather, do shopbacks, cashier when busy for $8.00 an hour. EIGHT DOLLARS! My Clerks were paid $8.10, part time. Full time is pretty much gone. From the union, 70% of King Soopers workers are part time. Why do you ask? They don't have to pay benefits, no health insurance, etc. No holiday pay expect Christmas and Thanksgiving.
    I have seen many great people leave this company because of the reasons above. You people have this mentally that there is an endless amount of workers in this state, but I think you are seeing it now. Never have I seen you making the SAA stand out front trying to entice people to work here. Having job fairs, making constant ads on the PA system.
    All I can say is Good luck.

Satisfight most of the time.

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company for advancement. Friendly Associates, Good benefits once you are el[gible

Cons

It's a retail job, so you have to work Weekends and Holidays.

Not always appriciative, Some Assistant Store Managers are in a position they should't be in. Don't back up some of the Department Managers. Not consistant with decipline.

Easy, if you aren't mentally challenged you can perform this job.

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Probably the easiest most laid back job I have had

Cons

Sometimes you get 4-6 hour shifts which are frustrating. Also a lot of the times you dont know your schedule for the upcoming week until Sunday.

Promote the best individuals rather than seniority.

Deli manager

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

awesome place to move up

Cons

not so awesome work like balance

Not somewhere I would recommend

Current Employee - Meat Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Meat Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at King Soopers (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grew price on health benefits.

Cons

Everywhere is short staffed. Negative work environment. Very low starting wages, and it takes years before getting benefits. Terrible training. Low levels of support from upper management.

While this has potential to be a good place to work, you should really consider raising your starting wages to help get your stores staffed properly. Waiting years for benefits is completely un reasonable, and I don't see how a company can morally do that where people are forced to work so hard.

Been here almost five years and still eligible for welfare.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid vacation and personal days after a year unless you're a courtesy clerk. Union protection and health insurance after a year. 20 hour a week minimum.

Cons

Far too much is expected of you for far too little pay. Absolutely no respect for personal lives. You are expected to live for the company and the company alone. Little to no training. People who are not fast learners and quick thinkers are, so to speak "eaten alive" and tend to quit within their first week. 80% turn over rate.

More understanding for hard workers. Keep up with the cost of living.

Colorado springs, Store 98

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at King Soopers (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, flexibility in hours worked, benefits are good if you're a full-time employee, scheduling preferences for full-time employees

Cons

Very few full-time positions, massive amount of favoritism in favor of young employees, managers who do very little, employees who act as gossipy and immature as high-schoolers with their little cliques, no respect for privacy or confidentiality. This store is more like being back in high school, with their little cliques, rumors, gossip, people trying to get those they don't like into trouble with lies and gossip, managers are just as bad as employees.

Let part-time employees choose shifts just as the full-time employees do, as much as possible. Have managers actually work/supervise instead of just standing around. Have managers do as much as possible to nix the gossip and malicious conversations regarding other employees, starting with their own conversations. Have managers and head clerks act with more professionalism and courtesy to their employees. Acknowledge the employees that work hard and are honest, instead of the ones who just happen to be young. Favoritism needs to stop.

Crappy

Former Employee - Culinary Head Clerk in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Culinary Head Clerk in Greeley, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy if you are a chef that doesn't like to work 60 hours a week.

Cons

They expect perfection, and give you 12 hours worth of work in a 8 hour shift.

Be better to your employees, or else King Soopers/ Kroger will turn in to Wal-Mart.

Fairly decent place to work.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Better pay then other grocery stores, most of the people working there are pretty friendly and happy with their job. I have been able to get the amount of hours I want to work. Not too hard to get raises.

Cons

Not really enough training. I work closing shift, so I don't see my husband much.

Talk to your employees, don't just ignore them.

Terrible for college student.

Former Employee - Checker in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Checker in Littleton, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was easy, co-workers were easy to get along with, easily got promoted

Cons

Scheduling (they scheduled me only during class), management, I was treated like a child by management and I'm an adult, they avoided giving employees full time so that we couldn't get benefits

If you care about your employees, they will care about you.