King Soopers

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy at first, became miserable later

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid breaks and management was willing to work with my vacations.

Cons

8-hour shifts all the time and starting way too early in the morning were strenuous and sometimes I got shifts until 11:45 PM. Everyone needs sleep. Customers there were a pain too.

In the beginning it was great, as time went on it wasn't so great.

Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, you meet great people.

Cons

Lately was is expected is more and more. If you need time off and you're new, don't plan on it.

I wish they were more considerate of their employees.

Two years of a massive headache.

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

The only reason i liked working there was the fellow co workers that I grew to become friends with.

Cons

The entire management team has to be the con at the store that I worked at. The only person that would be excluded from that is a head clerk that was very awesome and treated everyone with respect. The people I'm talking about is BOTH assistant managers, and the main store manager. I'm going to give you a very condensed version of what happened with me. Essentially, the beginning of the end of my two year rein at kingsoopers started when a customer accused me of opening up chemicals that some how got all over her floor and "ruined her floor." The management, took me into "the booth" as we call it, and basically accused me of opening the chemicals. One of the assistant managers I guess got copies of the pictures that she took of her ruined floor and showed me them talking to me as if I ruined the floor. Needless to say after that all happened, I filed a grievance with the union. After that one grievance, it spiraled out of control from there they basically started targeting me for EVERYTHING. One day, I was allowed to go home early, but before I was on carts when I left I had filled the carts up as much as I could for one person. The next day, they call me in the office and give me a verbal warning because I "left no carts in the store" when I know I filled it up as best as I could for one person. The manager informed me that I could come in and ask for help if I'm having trouble keeping up. {fast forward a couple weeks or so this is what led me to walk out, but I didn't quit} I was on carts and couldn't keep up because it was beyond busy! I came in asked for help and was ignored completely! So when I was done with my hour I came back in and was made to go back out and I asked for help and was promised to have someone go out there with me! I was out there for 15 minutes, and noticed NO one out there. I went back in and I had another cc come up and tell me that the manager told them not to go out and help me GREAT management right?? so I went over to the time clock, clocked out and left!!! I did come back the next day and was put on suspension, but I got union involved so I was on my fifth and final. Needless to say they didn't stop targeting me I was even called in the office once because I didn't "smile at the assistant manager or any of the customers" WHILE I WAS ON CARTS MIND YOU?ridiculous. Needless to say and wrapping this up I was eventually fired because of them targeting me. I was fired for calling off for TWO days without a doctors note???? when its THREE OR MORE. They say that it was because I was on my fifth and final, but it doesn't matter its going against THEIR OWN policy. Also I was fired on the 24th of may, and its JUNE 16!!!! and I haven't got my last check!!!! and I got a hold of the labor board.

screwed

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

The customers are great, my co-workers became friends.

Cons

The management sucked! Store manager the worst! Lied many times, if it was good he would take credit, if it was bad it was the employee that got in trouble! He has my back--yes with a knife in it!

Asst manager

Current Employee - Deli Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Deli Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is good and so are benefits

Cons

Store managers can be awful or incredible but it can make or break how you like being a manager

Bad job if you're a student.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Cashier in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Cashier in Broomfield, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a nice, social environment. The coworkers and management were incredibly friendly. It was a good experience for a first job. It's easy to move up in positions - I was trained as a cashier after working there for only a month.

Cons

The hours (maybe it's just at this location) were not flexible at all and they had me working 30+ hours while I was trying to finish my last semester of high school. Courtesy Clerks get paid minimum wage to collect carts outside in extreme weather (whether it's 100 degrees or below zero). Very fast-paced environment.

King Soopers Deli Management Position

Current Employee - Deli Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Deli Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is expanding in the market creating excellent job security. Union benefits are extraordinarily good. 401k available. Excellent plan for future deli growth of sales.

Cons

Turnover of crew is higher then I expected. Not directly involved in hiring process. Union system precludes normal rewards for employees- better schedules and raises etc... Union scheduling combined with company needs and programs precludes flexible schedules for clerks. Hard (impossible with low seniority) to schedule around school or second jobs. Hasn't been an increase to base clerk hiring wage since March 2005. This has caused a slow deterioration in the quality of new clerks. No budgeted training hours forces new hires into trial by fire situation. All of this puts an additional strain on the management team.

Patience is a virtue, full-time not so easy at the store level.

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store manager and department managers are good people and want good people.

Cons

Start pay low and full time hours are very difficult to come by.

Training is average or less although there is a lot of Computer based training (CBT). One session of CBT does not help when your on the grocery floor with a customer in front of you.
    Computer based scheduling makes a department managers job very difficult when they are trying to do what's best for both the department and the crew.

not a good place to work

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

There are very few "pros"about Kings. One of them is the benefits however you only get them once you have been there a year and your not a C.C.

Cons

everything. The pay is so not worth the work! You work hard and get paid very little almost nothing. On top of that how long it takes to get benefits. A year or longer depending on where you are. People drop like flies due to the fact of finding jobs that pay WAY better!

pay your people better and let them get benefits sooner! If the workers are happy and feel like they are wanted the will give 110% or more when working!

Absolutely Horrible

Current Employee - Night Crew in Gunbarrel, CO
    Current Employee - Night Crew in Gunbarrel, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid once a week, decent checks

Cons

Management was horrendous and rude

I worked as night crew for three months and had to quit it was so bad! My manager on my very first night there told me I shouldn't work there because I am a girl! Then he proceeded to cut my hours from 40 a week to three! I would come in at one in the morning and he would tell me they didn't need me and to come back the next day at that hour. This continued for WEEKS before it was finally solved. My manager was emotionally unstable and would start screaming at employees and then would be nowhere to be found after that. Worst job I have ever had