King's College London

King's College London Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good place to work and do research

London, England (UK)

I have been working at King's College London as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsVery good location in London, possibilities for collaborations

ConsIt all depends on the PI. Some labs are very good, some are not. Not so easy to get a lectureship

great opportunities for personal and professional development

I have been working at King's College London full-time for more than a year

ProsKing's college is not only a university with a great reputation in teaching and research but a company that provides excellent tools for personal and professional development and an outstanding career service that can help with career change, promotions, CV review service.

ConsAs in any other university progression from pos-doc level to lecturer is hard and a mentoring scheme has been set up only very recently. Moreover the working environment can vary within departments and teams. King's is doing a lot to retain women in science, by organizing events, training, mentoring schemes, but unfortunately you can still hear very inappropriate and sexist comments in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKing's should make an extra effort to tackle any issue related to sex discrimination in the work place. Anonymous survey can help identify those people that threaten the reputation of this great university. The HR management should also verify that salaries are offered based uniquely on experience and skills.

Great academic enviroment

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at King's College London full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAcademic staff are really nice and fair. Extremely good level of academic research. Great Campuses

ConsMost of the time the position is contracted and you will have to hope in further fundings to come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould create academic vacancies more frequently

Masters Student

Master's Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at King's College London full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have done both my Biomedical Sciences BSc and MSc at King's College London and I am extremely happy with my experience. The staff is really friendly and helpful but most importantly I feel that the level of education is on a world class level. Many labs are publishing papers in top journals such as the cell or jbc.

ConsI really cannot think of any cons. It was a really good university experience and the only disadvantage of which comes to my mind is the cost of living in London, which in fact is increasing on a yearly basis.

Very hard work, but good experience in a friendly and supportive environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at King's College London part-time

ProsFriendly and supportive colleagues and line manager made for a positive experience; reasonable opportunities for training and CPD; working with good students and colleagues at a high level to make teaching and research rewarding.

ConsWork-life balance was poor; some facilities in need of urgent upgrading or renovation; large focus on administration; and little opportunity for advancement.

Amazing

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at King's College London part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat great place, really yeah whatever

ConsCan i see what I want to see on the website now?

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job guys

Good university, good people.

I have been working at King's College London

ProsThe people at the university are good on the whole, friendly, knowledgeable and approachable. This is the case for both staff and students. There is also a huge amount of diversity which is always good.

ConsThe admin can be very poor. There have been a large number of issue with the timetables being produced on time, although this does seem to be improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the admin.

Satisfactory

I have been working at King's College London full-time

ProsGood reputation, smart people, positive attitude of employees

Consresearch (informatics in particular) is not well organised, not much focus on team-working hence making progress may take more time than actually needed

Two tracks, academic and others, working in very different environments - great for academics, others steer clear

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at King's College London full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent academic reputation with established recognition on a worldwide scale - as evidenced by recent move to top 20 of world rankings in one survey.
Opportunities for academic collaboration across numerous research areas
Central London location provides easy access to other excellent academic, political, cultural and business institutions.
Great place for any academic to work.

ConsLack of investment in IT services leaves it well behind some of its Russell Group competitors
Dominant role of the medical school, leaves other areas as poor relations
Severe lack of strategic planning from all senior management - again due to individuals protecting their areas rather than seeing organisation as a whole.
Poor senior management across the professional services functions (IT, HR, Estates etc) - more interested in keeping their heads down and defending their patch than in providing the collaborative support needed to help drive the university forward.
Very resistant to change and therefore limited availability for interesting and challenging work for professional services staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn terms of the 'top table' - Principal's Central Team - stop the in-fighting, listen to the staff and provide some real leadership that people can get behind.
Senior management of the professional services - your working relationships are disfunctional and the culture of keeping ones head down and being a yes man to get ahead needs addressing.

good

MSC Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at King's College London full-time for more than a year

Prosfamous university, world top 20, UK top 30, good to study humanities, as well as law, but nor enineering

Consnot a top 10 university, not ivy league, in London, which is too expensive to live in

Advice to Senior Managementgood

Worked for King's College London? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King's College London reviews and ratings. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by King's College London employees.