King's Hawaiian

Small Company Atmosphere with Big Company Opportunities

Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Their doors are always open. The company really welcomes you into the family right from the get go. Management is really dedicated to efficiency and finding ways to do things better. New ideas are welcomed.

Cons

There isn't a clear path to the next level. The company is still evolving, so those next levels will develop in time.

I would like to see more opportunities for employees to get together outside of work through company events, holiday parties, etc. This would really enhance the family friendly atmosphere.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Oakwood, GA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Oakwood, GA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company makes many attempts to appease its employees...sometimes to a detriment.

Cons

On-Boarding process is not existent
    No training programs in place.
    Growing too fast and can't keep up

Establish an on-boarding program, create a comprehensive curriculum and share it with your employees.

Hostess/Cashier

Former Employee - Hostess/Cashier in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess/Cashier in Torrance, CA

I worked at King's Hawaiian part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was employed as a Hostess/Cashier and something that I truly enjoyed was that this company had a family-oriented environment. Nearly all of the employees were friendly and kind to me. The managers were easy to talk to and always treated me with respect. If I needed help, there was always someone who was willing to show me how something was done. Overall I enjoyed the laid back environment and the positive energy this place has.

Cons

Sometimes, it was difficult to get schedule changes after asking several people. A couple of times, I had to cancel or be very late to things I had planned.

The aloha spirit

I worked at King's Hawaiian full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture and growing fast

Cons

The production employees are not treated as equals

Consider the people who MAKE your product.

Ohana to the core!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time (less than a year)

Pros

King's Hawaiian is a great place to work and a wonderful family to work for. The leadership team strives to be transparent and they really take the company values to heart. Coming to work each day is always fun and keeps you on your toes. There's always something new and exciting around the corner.

Cons

Many of the other reviews mention rapid change which I won't disagree with but don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. The company is only growing from here and it's creating a lot of opportunity for future growth and success.

Growing, Changing, Improving and Preserving the Best of the Past

Current Employee - Management in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time

Pros

Investing in growth; cares deeply about all employees; high expectations & good rewards; casual environment.
    Compensation is competitive with similar size companies. Location and easy commute are significant value.
    Steady enhancements to compensation, benefits, and time off in recent years.
    Committed to modern methods, thinking, and process controls.

Cons

Company is driving growth and excellence; change is sometime slow or hard to maintain. No different than any other growing organization. Some areas are flat so not much promotion opportunity.
    Uneven application of standards across the company

Keep doing what you are doing, communicate some more, trust others with important work.

My experience at King's Hawaiian has been great!

Current Intern - Supply Chain Planning Intern in Torrance, CA
    Current Intern - Supply Chain Planning Intern in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I am really enjoying working at King's Hawaiian since the office culture in the supply chain team is very laid back. Also, I have been working in multiple projects that could actually make an impact to the business. This internship has been a great work experience and I am sure it will help me in my future career.

Cons

Some challenges I encounter of working here is the lack of software that could be used to optimize it's supply chain.

The onboarding process was very smooth; hence I advise the management to continue with the HR orientation, meetings with people from the different departments, and the trainings to learn the systems used.

Positive, helpful and fast paced environment

Current Intern - Intern in Torrance, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here and was able to get my hands on different projects. Even though you go into a role, you can reach out to different areas and work on multiple projects. It is a growing and changing company, this puts you in a position to be more versatile.
    They are very aware of work life balance and try to make the job a positive experience, they are all committed to the brand and want to see you succeed.

Cons

It seems like there isn't much investment yet in software and role unification and organization, several things are done in ways that take up too much time and resources.
    That being said, they do have it on the radar and are looking to change this to make it a leaner company.

Invest in updated and adequate software. As the team grows, try to maintain it together and promote the flow of information.

Changing Culture

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is growing rapidly. Executives are very accessible. Have the ability to learn a lot about your own role and take on new and exciting challenges if they interest you.

Cons

Company talks about values, but they are not always visibly noticeable. Culture is in the midst of change. No clear advancement opportunities. Culture tends to be very conservative and changes that are obviously needed often happen very slowly.

Develop talent internally and be aware of where productivity is coming from within the organization. Benefits could definitely be made more market friendly.

Great Corporate Cultre with Clear Vision

Current Employee - Marketing Management in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Management in Torrance, CA

I have been working at King's Hawaiian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our company has a clear vision of success, and embraces further learning and growth. We have a relentless commitment to quality, yet operate in a welcoming environment.

Cons

Fast-paced rate of growth requires a high level of flexiblity, effective problem solving skills and a positive attitude.

We have a lot of great minds already on the team. Leaders could take notice and regognize the ones who have contributed to our success.