King's Seafood

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
3.5

Sam King

Great place to work...love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management team is dedicated to your development and wants you to learn and grow.

Cons

None that I can see

The fine dinning side of the company was fun when I was there

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Long Beach, CA

I worked at King's Seafood full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the oldest restaurant in the company, there was a different vibe there then the others. We were kind of the red headed step child in the company. The Wild West. But we took care of business with highest guest metrics and most profitable. Luckily I got out when I did! Because from what I hear there were big shake-ups in corporate management.

Cons

I was passed over for promotion strictly based on my age. And I was told that by senior management. If only I had a tape recorder!

Get down to the roots of what makes a restaurant successful... Delivering a great consistent product, in an environment that fosters learning and growth.

Honestly one of the best jobs ive had

Former Employee - Packer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Packer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at King's Seafood full-time (less than an year)

Pros

lots of room to learn new jobs.

really nice people who are always willing to teach you.

willing to give you overtime depending on your job.

reasonable lunch and break times.

some of the nicest managers and bosses, the owner of the company comes by every week and tries to learn all the employees names.

Cons

warehouse wages.

cold walk in freezers (although this is a pro in the summer)

hard to go to school while working unless school days are on tuesday or thursday (slowest days) and impossible during the summer.

if you dont speak some spanish you will have a hard time talking to all the workers... although most speak some english so you can have conversations

you work mostly by yourself so it does get lonely if you are a social person

a 10 cent pay raise every once in a while although not much would increase the moral of workers.

light music inside the warehouse would also help ease the loneliness since workers are busy working and not chatting

Good people, management feels extremely distant, no room for growth

I have been working at King's Seafood

Pros

*Opportunity to work with some incredibly passionate people within the restaurants they own
    *Minor perks come with being an employee (diner discount card)

Cons

*Payroll is disorganized and sloppy
    *No room for growth
    *Focus is on profit, not well-fare of employees
    *Lack of support from management

Make the focus of your work more about your employees rather than making a profit by any means possible

Pretty Good Place to work

Current Employee - Chef in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Chef in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent systems training and commitment to hiring good people

Cons

Poor senior leadership driving the unhappiness of line management and regional management that is unappreciative of their current staff

Support your line management so they can do their jobs

Watch you back. Look out for yourself.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at King's Seafood full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a good family run business where the owner used to care about the people making it happen. Had that feel where everyone knew each other and cared.

Cons

New COO changed direction of company to be less about the people that make it happen, and more about chasing the almighty dollar and proving he was better than the previous COO.

Remember the previous passions you used to have, caring about people and quality.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood

Pros

Great Management, wonderful clientele, cool owner of company.

Cons

Intense stress in short bursts

keep up the good work

Short term only

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood

Pros

Great product knowledge and teaching service patterns

Cons

No long term advancement for people not in management

Promote from within

I have worked for other companies and Kings is one of the best I have worked for.

Current Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood

Pros

They care about their product - seafood. I love eating seafood and I have never been dissappoined with the quality of seafood eaten. I am proud of the food and product we serve - our guests dine love our restaurant!

Cons

Like alot of restaurants sometimes I wish I had more shifts to work. Overall we have a good crew at our location.

I would like new uniforms!

If you're looking for a restaurant company to work for, this is NOT the place to go!

Current Employee - Server in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at King's Seafood

Pros

I find very little in the way of posiitve reasons to work for this company. Other than the camaraderie
    with the staff, I feel this is not an environment I would recommend to others looking for a job.

Cons

Honestly, after working here for over a year, it's progressively deteriorated, ranging from the lack of communication from managment to staff to being able to complete our jobs because of a lack of basic product and necessities. I find absolutley nothing positive to write about this place of employment. The benefits package was restructured to cost more but cover less. Scheduling conflicts often arise, even after a availability sheet has been given to the HR department. And if such conflicts happen, it's then the responsibility of the staff to cover the shift, even though the availability sheet was filled out in accordance to the guidelines set forth by the company.
    The management does very little to support the staff during peak business, often to the detriment to the customers. They regularly take their managment meeting at the beginning of the dinner shift and during transitional periods, making said transition extremely difficult. The have a "self-manage' attitude towards the staff, but a micromanagement follow through.
    There is very little in the way of positive acknowledgement. All expectations by the customers that are either met or exceded or often overlooked because "thats just you doing your job" where as a minor negative incident often ends up in a verbal and written counsel and often times from mulitple managers.

I would suggest to the managment that they need to take their idea of what our restaurant is supposed to be and change it to what it is. They need to realize that all of us need to work as a team, including themselves, and to come down out of their ivory tower, and conduct themselves on the floor that would garner respect from the staff instead of demanding it just because "I have both names on my nametag."