Kingland Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

David J. Kingland

Enjoyable Position, but a Little Boring!

I have been working at Kingland part-time for less than a year

Pros

Sounds really good on a resume! And the people are really fun to work with. The hours are flexible and

Cons

The base pay is pretty atrocious.... But, its a super entry level position, so that's understandable.

Nothing really, you all are doing a good job! I'll stay for a while longer!

Great work schedule, boring work

Former Employee - Data Research Analyst  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Data Research Analyst in Ames, IA

I worked at Kingland as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule. I mean, if you miss work, just text your manager. No questions asked.

Cons

Boring work. If you aren't in your manager's "buddy circle" you won't get promoted. Was promised promotion within the month - it took 6 months and a big blowup between me, my coworkers, and managers. Don't trust anything they say about the future until it happens.

Stop making empty promises. If you're going to promote, actually promote. If someone is looking to advance, let them. Trust your employees! Also, if you're going to create a new position or change something with the organization, actually have the intentions of doing that. I am sick of hearing about a change and never seeing it happen.

Okay

I worked at Kingland

Pros

IT experience, Nice people, young environment, flexible schedule,

Cons

low compensation, not competitive, lack of professional social skills, bad atmosphere, repetitive work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kingland DRA INTERN

I have been working at Kingland

Pros

Flexible hours and fun people

Cons

Hard to move up in company

Data Research Analyst

Current Employee - Data Research Analyst in Ames, IA

I have been working at Kingland as an intern for less than a year

Pros

HR is very nice. If they decide to hire, they will give the offer on the spot.

Cons

Salary is too low. It can only be a part-time job. No valuable tech skills can be learned. Not so much interaction with other co-workers.

NA

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ames, IA

I worked at Kingland full-time for less than a year

Pros

None at this time today

Cons

Disorganized workplace, Management doesn't know processes.

Great job - if you can sit well

Current Employee - DRA  in  Ames, IA
    Current Employee - DRA in Ames, IA

I have been working at Kingland part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, good work environment, friendly staff

Cons

Tedious, boring job tasks. My personal training was nothing more than mediocre.

Better training and require less hours worked during school year

Mundane

Current Employee - Data Research Analyst in Ames, IA

I have been working at Kingland as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility of this job was unparalleled. It is the perfect resource for a busy interning college student.

Cons

The work is very mundane and quite rotary. It isn't difficult to get ahead if you stick with it, but that is the problem.

Find a way to spice up the work.

Good first job out of college

Former Employee - Solution Engineer  in  Clear Lake, IA
    Former Employee - Solution Engineer in Clear Lake, IA

I worked at Kingland full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work schedule is, more or less, flexible and allows employees to work from home if necessary.
    - Even entry level employees are given incredible amounts of vacation days to use, prorated based on start date, immediately after starting.
    - Cafeteria with granola bars, yogurt, milk, cereal, etc. all free for employees.
    - Decent learning opportunities working with some very intelligent people.

Cons

Unfortunately, Kingland needs to work on quite a number of things.

First: compensation. Salaries are incredibly low across the board, especially for developers. Salary information for every position are publicly available to the company, except for those in the 'executive hallway'. This leads to suspicion about what they are paid. The structure of compensation is in dire need of a remodel. A large portion of 'total compensation' is based in 'incentive'. This means that part of your pay can be taken away for whatever reason the company chooses to give. To my knowledge, this has never happened. Also, bonuses are taxed at a much higher rate than normal salary, so the 'total compensation' number is a little deceiving.

Second: career development. There is a program set up at Kingland that provides a set of requirements that each employee must meet before they can be promoted. Normally, this would be a 'pro' for me, however there is only one track per position. Example: A software developer can be promoted 4 times from entry level just by doing 'normal' developer things. However, after that, they need to start taking on leadership roles which takes them very far away from development work.

Third: tooling. Kingland is a process heavy company. They use an Application Lifecycle Management tool that is almost unusable. Written in Java Swing, the UI is not intuitive and is quite a RAM hog. Also, the laptops that are provided are not powerful enough to meet the requirements of everyday work.

Fourth: management. As previously mentioned, there is only one career track for people to follow and it is the path to management. Those who are in management positions now do not have any idea how to manage a group of people. As people, they may be nice, but as managers most of them fall very short.

Fifth: secrecy. Everything is done behind closed doors. This means that employee achievements are never recognized beyond the office of their manager. It also makes career development frustrating when a group of people are discussing what team they are going to move you to but not including you in the decision process. Lastly, bonuses are sometimes provided to employees who have gone 'above and beyond.' When those kinds of bonuses are given behind closed doors and kept "hush hush", it looks like favoritism and is disheartening to others.

Sixth: China. Kingland recently opened an office in China and has been ramping up the operation quite rapidly. Working with people halfway across the country is hard enough, introducing a language and culture barrier on top of that makes it harder. The difference in code quality is glaring and frustrating.

Fix the salary structure: tone down incentive based pay and up the base salary. Don't be afraid to reward your employees for meaningful contributions, but try not to bake it so heavily into base pay.

Train your managers: get all of your managers together and send them to management training. Effective management is not something that everyone knows inherently, they need to be taught.

Process: if you want to make a process around a certain activity, pull few people who perform that activity on a regular basis into a meeting room and talk about what makes sense. You don't need to write the process out right then and there, but get some feedback from the people that it will affect before you publish it into law.

Good internship opportunity for Ames students, boring work & work environment.

Former Employee - Data Research Analyst  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Data Research Analyst in Ames, IA

I worked at Kingland as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ames office has young students that make for a young environment. That being said there are many "characters" or students lacking professional social skills. Flexible scheduling. Ames office is in an old theater and sometimes movies are shown. Expanding.

Cons

Database is Kingland strength but that means employees deal with the same data over and over again. Atmosphere that tends for more isolated/"put headphones on and focus" work.

Get new hires more integrated. I didn't know my team until it was time for me to leave.

Worked for Kingland? Contribute to the Community!