Kings Dominion

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.7

Matthew A. Ouimet

Friends and a good place to learn a lot of skills

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Doswell, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Doswell, VA

I worked at Kings Dominion part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The amount of hours you are given, the free admission being an employee, there are always chances to move up and be promoted and You can meet a lot of great people.

Cons

Well working outside is something you have to prepare for, management can play favorites, being on your feet all of your shift

Listen to the employees ideas on improving the park

A fine place to work in high school-- not so much afterwards

Former Employee - Marketing Researcher in Doswell, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Researcher in Doswell, VA

I worked at Kings Dominion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free admission to the park, and free tickets are nice perks, but I did not see the park as a fun place to spend my time after working there 9-5

Cons

They cut researcher hours to 4hrs/day in the marketing department near the end of the summer. As a recent high-school grad, this was fine, but my coworkers were using this as their main source of income, and were spending more on gas to drive to work than their actual paychecks.

Create a less punitive, more encouraging environment. Reduce paper-survey usage to save time.

Unless you are area manager or above, or under 18, STAY AWAY!!

Current Employee - Line Employee/Stocklead in Doswell, VA
    Current Employee - Line Employee/Stocklead in Doswell, VA

I have been working at Kings Dominion part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Park Access, good exercise for some jobs

Cons

Terrible management, Hard to get promoted, They care about their bottom line over anything, they know you are replaceable and put more money into preventing theft than employee satisfaction

Act like you care about employees rather than just using them

Great!!

Former Employee - Kings Dominion Merchandise Associate in Doswell, VA
    Former Employee - Kings Dominion Merchandise Associate in Doswell, VA

I worked at Kings Dominion part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great and it really felt like a family oriented work environment. Plus, if you want a lot of hours, you get them!

Cons

Customers could be cranky which is normal in any amusement park. I was only making minimum wage which wasn't what I was looking for, but the hours kind of made up for that.

Less training! Seriously people it is not that difficult to operate a cash register, stock a shelf, or turn on a deep fryer...

Great place to work if you're a teen. Not so great if you're over 30.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doswell, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doswell, VA

I have been working at Kings Dominion part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The introductions to the park (i.e. Human Resources) were great. Everyone seems friendly, caring, and upbeat. The red flags were that no one appeared to be over 17 in Human Resources.... Minimum wage is the starting rate, regardless of how much experience in the field that you are hired into you possess. Return hires receive 25 cent raises on their following year.

If you are a teen, you will find life fun here when you are not working. I see teens grouped constantly after work, and they seem to have a lot of fun. In my experience, the guests are not quite as rude as they are portrayed; there are some bad apples, but the heat does that to almost anyone.

Cons

This is why the company received only a two star rating.

Behind the Scenes - Once your application, interview, and processing are complete then you are introduced to the rest of the park. "Behind the Scenes" is crappy, to put it nicely. The "Behind the Scenees" is not meant to be the core that guests are seeing, so minimum money is spent to maintain things. I personally witnessed supervisors in trailers that were at least 98 degrees that had no air conditioning. Lack of air conditioning in their offices was standard and the windows in those units did not open.

Supervisors - I saw, throughout the park, only one supervisors that is over the age of 21. The exception would be in Security where it appears that licensed security guards (if not actual police officers) were running the show. THIS is actually a big plus in Security. Unfortunately, in the rest of the park the young adult crowds often run the show. By sitting in the cafeteria and listening, I've heard the young supervisors and workers trash talking guests (calling some "shems" ((they couldn't decide if they were male or female))) by insulting whatever they could, plotting evil plans against older adults that they did not like (they were too old, too ugly, or too weird) by suggesting ways that they could invent excuses to get the older people fired, and generally demonstrating why only impartial workers should be promoted to supervisory positions. The whole purpose of the park is to satisfy the guests and bring in money.... not to recreate the high school experience that many of these workers are currently STILL in.

Overtime - The possibility for overtime exists. However, I was told in my interview that TIME AND HALF IS NOT PAID for overtime work due to some tax loophole. Breaks are not guaranteed during peak hours due to high demand and low staffing.

Atmosphere - Outside of the consistent supervisory and teenage drama, the park is quite a pleasant little get away. The Snoopy themes seem an odd choice to attract visitors since the children don't even know who Snoopy is. My teenage son spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what was so cute about the character since the comics were "Not funny and outdated", but I imagine that has to do with the cost of the licensing fees for the rights.

Cafeteria - VERY reasonable costs for food, tremendously long lines ensuring lack of time in which to eat your food during your break. Younger people seem to run the cash register and get confused easily, which adds to the confusion. Food is very tasty.

Uniforms - EVERYTHING is micromanaged to the point of ad nauseum. When being given my uniform, it literally took two and a half hours for twelve people to be issued their uniforms. The attending person insisted on seeing the uniforms in person while being worn to ensure a proper fit, so the process was thus: 1) Tell them your size. 2) They give you different size that they think is right. 3) Go to restroom to change. 4) Return to stand inside the uniform room to be viewed (incidentally, you are in plain view of the rest of the twelve people in line in ill fitting clothing and being made to feel like a clown). 5) Spin around so that you may be viewed from all angles. 6) If needed, step up onto a platform and have alterations made (again, in plain view of everyone). 7) Return to restroom to change back into street clothes. 8) Return to window, have uniforms issued (unless you need modifications, in which case you will return in two to three days and repeat all of these procedures). 9) Have name tags made. If you lose 5 nametags or badges during the course of the season you will be terminated. Pants do NOT have pockets.

You may not wear your uniform until 30 minutes before your start time at work. After work, you must remove your uniform before enjoying the park.

First day of training - You WILL have a very young supervisor. At some point, my top-of-the-food-chain supervisor was told that my hair was multicolored (I haven't colored my hair in three years), that I have nipple rings that violate guidelines (I don't even wear ear rings, see SUPERVISOR category above), and that I had cigarettes in my bra strap (guilty as charged, see "No Pockets" section of uniform above. These issues should have all been addressed by my immediate supervisor, but since young adult supervisors have no real world experience in dealing with one-on-one employee corrections, this was blown completely out of proportion and taken to the God Supervisors.

Cell phones - Not allowed outside of the lockers. At all. This is completely inappropriate, and most people ignore this guideline. With no pockets, this is a hard one to get around. This is understandable due to the texting habits of some, but a simple policy of "No exposed cell phones and must remain on silent" would eliminate this problem. Adults have children and various ongoing issues that may need to contact them in emergency. Interpark emergencies involving trapped employees that may potentially happen are also adversely impacted without a way to notify emergency person quickly.

Older people - Older workers are friendly, interact well with others, and generally keep out of the way of the teenage hordes. We know that we are targets and we keep our heads down.

Career Opportunities - You can expand your training into as many areas in what you were hired as you wish. The more skills that you obtain, the more hours you can work.

Benefits - None

Life Balance - You will get in on time, and you may have to stay upwards of of two hours past scheduled stop time. Some supervisors work over 14 hours a day.

Senior Management - Caring and well informed. If you cannot solve a problem, use the chain of command to take it up to the Senior Management. Do not skip the rungs of the ladder, even if you feel that it is pointless.

Cash - Cash is only permitted in your locker. You are only permitted to take a debit/credit card into work.

-Employ older adults to manage the younger ones.
    -Consider break rooms for older workers that want to escape the drama of the younger ones in order to give us TRUE break rooms.

Up and Down

I have been working at Kings Dominion full-time

Pros

You get free admission to the park, discounted tickets and even free tickets. You get to work with a lot of different people and make a lot of friends.

Cons

You get free admission to the park but who wants to go to the park after working there for 5 days out of a week. The pay isn't that great and they are understaffed a lot of times.

Haunt Monster is FUNFUNFUN

Former Employee - Haunt Monster in Doswell, VA
    Former Employee - Haunt Monster in Doswell, VA

I worked at Kings Dominion part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scaring guest is entertaining, good pay, fun dressing up in costume, make lots of friends, make hilarious memories, good exercise

Cons

VERY strenuous, don't get out till past 12 am, chance of getting punched/hurt, inhaling fog all night, strobe lights are annoying

Love working here!

Friends, but hard work

Current Employee - Ride Lead in Doswell, VA
    Current Employee - Ride Lead in Doswell, VA

I have been working at Kings Dominion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet alot of great friends

Cons

Work to many hours with no over time pay

not so many hour or pay over time

Was okay

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Doswell, VA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Doswell, VA

I worked at Kings Dominion part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers were friendly, understanding and very kind to us workers.

Cons

Drive out there for only a three hour shift was not worth it.

Don't hire so many people until the year actually fully starts.

Was an OK first job I suppose

Former Employee - Ride Operator
    Former Employee - Ride Operator

I worked at Kings Dominion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free access to any Cedar Fair parks (Cedar Point being the main one) and free entry to park
    Discount on select merchandise
    Work as many hours as you want generally (varies by ride. International employees received priority)
    As long as you are responsible and follow the procedures, you can get promoted to Supervisor after one summer (which comes with a whole lot of cons)

Cons

Guests (Customers) are often rude and unruly. This is easily the biggest con. The people can really ruin the job. I was regularly cursed at for just doing my job and ensuring peoples safety (children trying to ride a ride that was not safe for them, etc)
    Minimum wage pay, no overtime, no raises unless you come back the next year, which is only a $0.25/hr raise
    Pretty bad heat working in the rides department
    It was very difficult to get breaks. Even if you needed one quickly, you would often have to wait (makes life hard in the heat)
    Employee cafeteria was iffy
    Sometimes went too long without water simply because everyone was too busy to get more
    Usually end up working past closing, which is normal at most jobs, but you have to wait and finish you queue before you can close the ride for the night
    Work can be boring and repetitive, but you can work around that by making the most of it and trying to be happy. Guests appreciate that as well

Maybe pay a little more
    There should be a system in place to help employees get breaks easier, especially in the kind of conditions you are in
    Improve the cafeteria
    Better leadership that cares more about the lower employees. I visited Cedar Point while I was working at Kings Dominion (as many employees do) and you could easily tell the employees there were far happier. Definitely should model what is done at Cedar Point and put it in place at Kings Dominion.

Kings Dominion Photos