Kingwood Medical Center

Med/Surg

Current Employee - RN Med/Surg in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - RN Med/Surg in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team to work with.

Cons

Upper managmenet is unorganized and doesn't listen to requests from floor nurses

Horrible!!!! Don't waste your time or talent. This place sucks the life out of you!!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing!!! Orientation stinks-it's sink or swim, management do not care. The only director that actually cared was fired for trying to make a difference.

Cons

This is an HCA facility-for profit hospital. That means they cut staffing so much that Registered Nurses have to perform the job function of 5 different people while only being paid to do one. As a Registered Nurse, you have to provide nursing-that's a given. I was not hired to be a CNA/Tech, Telemetry tech, Unit Secretary and Food Service worker. I interviewed for an Observation nurse position. When I started working, I was required to take surgical, medical and telemetry patients. No job is above me but I did not get my Bachelors degree in nursing to wipe butts, give bed baths, remove patient trays from their rooms, or do order entry in the middle of trying to care for my patients. The nurses are stretched so thin that there is no way you can perform safe nursing practice while being expected to answer the stupid phone that you are required to carry while attempting to pull medication, perform an assessment or even educate the patient. There are so many distractions!!! Steer clear of this place if you are worried about losing your nursing license.

Stop cutting funding for staffing, give the nurses some help!!! They are drowning and management are not doing anything to help!! Full time nurses don't stay because staffing agencies pay more-pay your nurses more for all of the crap they have to do and you can save money by not having to pay for agency nurses!!! the patients are suffering and no one cares!!!

Dissatisfied.

Current Employee - Rcp in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Rcp in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good for experience purposes if you cannot get in to one of the far superior major not for profit systems in the surrounding Houston area. The ability to build longstanding relationships with the great frontline caregivers that you work with. Flexibility in scheduling, at least within the department that I worked.

Cons

The frontline staff is underpaid, under-appreciated, and overworked. The patient load is ridiculous. However, most caregivers are green, have never worked anywhere else, and have no idea what a great organization looks like. Upper management is a joke, and no matter how much you talk they will never listen. It's very difficult to maintain a positive attitude in a hospital that is so dysfunctional. Also, the interdepartmental communication is seriously lacking.

I would have written a lengthy paragraph stating all the things you guys should do, but it's obvious to me that you don't listen so I'm not going to waste my time. In fairness to you, I realize that an organization's culture starts at the top, and that you officers are only passing on your superior's expectations. Bottom line: I, and most other people that work there, see through your facade. We realize that you really don't care, not because of the words you speak, but because of your actions.

Nursing at an HCA facility in Kingwood TX

Current Employee - Staff RN in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Complex patients, good experience for new nurses, not Magnet and will hire nurses with ADN degrees, not required to have a BSN, lots of overtime is available

Cons

Pay is less than other facilities in Houston, frequent changes in managers, CEO does not listen to nurses concerns even though she is a nurse, ICU nurses triple up and take care of 3 patients especially at night, heavy dependence on agency for staffing. It is a for profit company more concerned about the bottom line than anything else.

Listen to your nurses

working here was horrible

Current Employee - Floor Tech Supervisor in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Floor Tech Supervisor in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

none there are no good things about working here

Cons

everything, no one cared about anyone here....it was all about yourself

Kingwood Medical Center is the place to work!

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small but rapidly growing hospital with a culture of excellence in patient care, highly trained staff, open and respectful communication between physicians and nurses. Plenty of opportunity for personal growth both academically through a partnership with UT Arlington and in your chosen career path. Supportive management team.

Cons

Growing pains and construction but the outcome will allow us to provide better services

Patient care can be improved by having inter-department team meetings.

Great people but always short staffed

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small hospital where you can really get to know people. Great teamwork, unit supervisor is a good leader who can get the message across without rocking the boat.

Cons

Always short staffed, they won't hire sitters so when we get a confused patient we automatically loose an aide. Upper management have forgotten what it is like on the floor, you have six patients, doctors with orders awkward families, only one aide and some one with a clipboard tells you off for not signing the hourly rounding sheet in one of your rooms

Quit expecting nurses to do everything now. Quit overloading us and then getting mad because we have to work overtime to get our job done.

A review from a current employee

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really like the people I work with. I schedule myself and my employer trys to give me the days off I want.

Cons

Very low pay, always work short handed, more work than a single person can possibly do in one day

We need higher pay and a lower nurse to pt ratio

The doctors and nurses that work there are fantastic; however, the management is less than average.

Former Employee - Nurse Tech in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Nurse Tech in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Kingwood Medical Center

Pros

The staff members are nice. The benefits are good. There are a great deal of opportunities for advancement. There are added perks to working their like discounts on food, and holiday celebrations.

Cons

The supervisors do not have very much respect for their employees. They do not acknowledge when an employee is doing a good job.

The leadership needs to be more caring towards their employees. They need to realize that we are all human. They need to understand that things happen sometimes in the lives of their employees that could impact them on the job and they should not be insensitive to their employees when it occurs. They should praise their employees for their accomplishments and help them to overcome their failures.

Very busy place, growing rapidly

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Kingwood Medical Center

Pros

This is my first job after graduating. What i like best about this place is how busy it is. It has given me great oppurtunity to increase and improve my skills.

Cons

There are some eployees that i would not allow to put a hand on me. I feel as if i have to pick up slack for some of those i work with, and i feel leadership is oblivious to this. Management does not reward good work

Pay more attention to what really goes on. monitor employee performance a little closer. hospital is not that big so this should be quite feasible