Kinross Gold Reviews

1. Great company with lots opportunity for career development

Former Employee - Mine Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mine Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for relatively fast growth within the company exists in certain sites due higher turnovers. Management works well for employees career development and provides many training opportunities both on-site and off-site. Strong emphasis on health and safety as well as environmental compliance. The company moves emplyees to other sites for weeks and months at a time for training. Compared to bigger companies, Kinross slightly smaller and employs fewer people which in turn allows for more flexibility when comes to moving people regionally.

Cons

Remote locations with little or no city life for most sites except regional offices. Some sites nearing the end of their mine life with not many new sites replacing them.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees on their career development.

2. Kinross is a very good company to work for.

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kinross has high ethical standards and a strong commitment to the health and safety of all employees. These values are felt on a daily basis.

Cons

Growth has stalled due to poor investments in Africa. This is greatly limiting the advancement of the company at this time.

3. A bad company in a cultural desert

Former Employee - Tech Services in Round Mountain, NV
    Former Employee - Tech Services in Round Mountain, NV

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good and the lack of things to do allows you to save money. If you like the desert there is PLENTY of it. For those with little education, this is one of the last places in America where a high school grad can work up to making over $100k a year.

Cons

There is nothing as far as housing goes unless you get company housing. Even then depending on specific situations, the company will take your non-company house. Everything is at least a 3 hour drive away, including medical attention. The people are very closed off and unwelcoming.

Advice to Management

To anyone potentially interested in working for Kinross at Round Mountain Gold Mine: My immediate manager was AMAZING! He was very supportive and gave me a lot of confidence in myself. He was not a very hands of manager, yet very easily approachable on any matter. He sent me to and brought in tons of training courses and really built my education on very specific tools in my job. If it were not for all the other horrible things about the company and life Round Mountain gives I would still be working for him. Now, the rest of management is another story. The whole system is a haggard, nepotistic organization. It ties closely to how small the community is (750 people). There is a very strong 'clique' feeling to the company and in other departments outside of the one I was in, people have been known to bully others to the point where they are run out of town. They have meetings for EVERYTHING including meetings to plan meeting (seriously). There is a very strong corporate presence that, especially HR, will use for their own gains. Depending on who a person may be, they will either allow them to do as they please. To others they quickly turn to the policy manual and reprimand them. They uphold a code of accountability that most upper management blatantly does not adhere to. When I took the job I was given a relocation package, a moving allowance, and promised a specific company house and told that within the year it would get a new deck and front porch. I also negotiated an annual salary ~$3500 more then their original offer. When I showed up I was not immediately given the relocation allowance that I was told would be disperse the moment I got there. I was put in a much smaller and older home then the one promised.Also, I later found out that they had not been paying me the agreed salary, but rather what they originally offered. This oversight affected money awarded to my 401k, health and life insurance, taxes for that year and the following, and stock contributions. In the near 2 years I worked and lived there they never built the deck or porch. The last thing is that the place, Round mountain is an incredibly isolated town. In the classification of municipalities it is not considered a rural town, but rather a frontier town. The community of Round Mountain is made up of the Old Town of Round mountain (ghost town), Hadley subdivision, Carvers, and Manhattan. Old Town, Carvers, and Hadley are about 10 mile radius away from one another. Hadley is the newest area and was largely developed by the mine. Its a trailer town with a school (k-12). There are a few sports fields, and indoor pool that is only open June to August. The library is staffed by very wonderful and sweet people. There is a gas station that is privately owned and sells sandwiches. And last but not least the General store. Owned and operated by the mine, it is a total hustle. All products are marked up, especially beer, wine, and liquor. There is limited selection but they do take orders by the case of different products. The only upside is that the company subsidizes meat and you get good beef and chicken. DO NOT eat the pork or fish. In the area there are no restaurants within an hour's driving distance; Tonopah offers very little option with only a Mexican restaurant, a Burger King and few hotel and casino restaurants. There is a bar in Hadley, one in Carvers, and one in Manhattan, each with their own vibe, but all pretty much the same rundown desert watering hole.

Good company, difficult work

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits can't be beat. Very competitive retirement. Rural living in rugged & beautiful country, 'big city' pay without the big city hastles. This company does not want to lose it's biggest asset (labor force) and stays competitive when it comes to 'perks'. When layoffs occur they started at the top (corporate office), as opposed to the bottom.

Cons

As with any publicly traded business, the bottom line is what matters. The pace can be grueling and the stress level is always high - proessional staff must fight for and guard personal time; taking time to rest is a discipline that must be practised. Environmental regulations are insane (in Washington State anyway). Job longevity is limited due to the finite nature of ore, and the near prohibition state/federal regulations have placed on exploration.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your workforce. We know you by what you do, not by what you say.

6. Good FIFO

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Well compensated for FIFO rotations.

Cons

Too much distraction from administrative issue.

Advice to Management

Leave Expat employee a peace of mind by taking care all administrative issues.

7. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, fantastic people, great opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes politics can be difficult.

8. Site Services Superintendent

Former Employee - Site Services Superintendent in Magadan (Russia)
    Former Employee - Site Services Superintendent in Magadan (Russia)

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, good safety program,

Cons

Poor high level managemnt, no career plan, no possibility to progress within the organization, at least at local level. The 4 Kinross principles are not followed. " People's first.

Advice to Management

Be more effective in human resources managements, instead of trying to impress Toronto managers with beautiful presentations, it should dedicated more time to see and listen workers needs.

9. Worst Place to Work

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Kinross Gold

Pros

Pay is good for contractors

Cons

No stability Management hires contractors and gives them false hopes about the job Do not do contract work - lots of layoffs Unfit Management team No stability Lots of work

Advice to Management

Make your intentions clear about where contract is going. Do not give false hopes.

10. Struggling to survive

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Diverse portfolio of assets and a great office location.

Cons

Shareholder value has completed diminished and has been decimated.

11. Local management in conflict with head office results in conflicting priorities. Impossible to meet both.

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Salary and health care were strong.

Cons

Stock is plummeting. Writing is on the wall. People are more concerned with guarding turf and protecting their own hides than in problem solving for the betterment of the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed