Kipp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Feinberg

Great mission...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKIPP has such a great culture and mission, that it makes you feel like you have a purpose.

ConsWhen change needs to happen, there needs to be a more sense of urgency.

Changing lives

Teacher, Elementary School (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThe leadership is amazing. I feel there is always opportunities to become a better teacher at KIPP.

ConsThe long school days are probably the most challenging part of working for a charter school. We also have lots of profession development days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us better pay and more time off.

Good place~

ProsGood job, kind of performance pay, opportunity for quick leadership, travel if you would like.

Conslong hours, kids sometimes are difficult (that comes with any environment that one would teach in), administration at times, compensation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KIPP Houston lives up to it's mission: Closing the achievement gap by getting students to and through college.

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSmall schools allowing teachers to build strong relationships with students and stakeholders. Teachers are allowed to make decisions regarding classroom instruction.

ConsThe mission is powerful and the demand is great so at times, the time requirement is demanding and it is challenging to truly create a work life balance.

Justice Work? Not Really. KIPP is about resume building and propaganda.

High School Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a resume builder

ConsThe feedback I gave to KIPP national on my end-of-year survey:

Among the many issues I have with KIPP, I have a difficult time taking your "professional development" seriously after witnessing the obscene amount of money that was spent on "PD" in Vegas. As an educator, I was ashamed to work for KIPP after witnessing your extreme misallocation of funds. While hundreds of KIPP educators were staying in an extravagant hotel and receiving mediocre (at best) PD, students were preparing to come into a school that promised them a great education. Instead, they arrived at a school that lacked basic supplies--lexile-level-appropriate books, technology, educators with appropriate training, money for educator support (subs, paras, grading supports) etc. Our school has fewer resources than many, but no matter how well-resourced a KIPP school is, money should be preserved wherever possible and spent where it matters--directly on student needs and resources.

Furthermore, the KIPP Summit felt exploitive. Every few hours, a Black or Brown student would take the stage, smile and in various ways shout "college" to a sea of predominantly white educators who cried self-congratulatory, white-guilt tears. The entire scene was disturbing. If KIPP had merely taken away a cocktail hour or two and allowed that money to trickle down to my students' desks, we would be closer to closing the opportunity gaps that are so dear to your mission.

As you can see, I am angry. The summit set the tone for me, I was immediately suspicious of KIPPs motives. I have spent the year regretting working here for many reasons. I am angry because my morality and sense of justice are the foundations of my purpose for becoming an educator. I feel like KIPP misrepresented itself, and as a result, I took a position doing work in an organization that has a thin, glossy veneer of anti-opression politics, but ultimately perpetuates the same insidious oppression and racism that places a premium on "favorable" behavior and acculturation. It was my hope that I would be able to engage in the real work--shepherding young people toward independent thought and critical mindedness. Instead, I am an accomplice to further disadvantaging young people.

There is more I could say, and there is more that is being said by brilliant educators behind closed doors. But KIPP will not hear most of it because teachers without collective bargaining power fear that they will lose their jobs if they speak up on behalf of kids--on behalf of reality.

It is a shame. I'm sorry I gave a year to such a flawed system.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not leave because I lack skill, "grit", or even administrative recognition. I received very good observation feedback, scores and recommendations. KIPP loses teachers like me--teachers who believe in kids, have a strong work ethic, but are smart enough to realize the how unethical and damaging it is to place such a high premium on student behavior. The overemphasis on data and testing dehumanizes students and removes us from opportunities to educate students toward independence and critical thought. Advice? How about a morality makeover?

Hard work, grow a lot.

Teacher and Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to grow and advance quickly as you prove yourself.

ConsLong hours and you have to be satisfied by the work itself, rather than extrinsic motivators.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep work on retaining teachers.

KIPP is a well-intentioned organization with a fantastic mission that sometimes lacks follow through on the details.

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe mission and values (giving all students access to excellent education that will get them to and through college) are shared by all the teachers, creating a strong sense of community and fostering close relationships with coworkers. You are also given almost complete autonomy over your work, which has drawbacks and benefits.

ConsThe compensation, especially considering the work/life balance, is not great. The hours are already longer than a normal school day, and the lack of direction from administrators means you will spend even more time working off the clock to prepare. Some schools focus almost exclusively on raising test scores rather than holistic education.

Great School! Be nice. Work hard.

Teacher (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe students and teachers here are committed to educating students to be better people and better students. You need to be willing to work hard and you will be held accountable.

ConsI have very few negative things to say about KIPP. I left the organization to further my education but for those who desire to grow internally there are plenty of options to move into leadership and/or become a better teacher.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard and ensure that growth does not outpace capacity.

Culture is amazing, burnout is high.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Competitive pay
    - Genuine leaders
    - Legitimate professional development
    - Student-centered
    - The model focuses on doing the best for students, yet working smart.
    - Innovative [Almost feels like working for the school version of Google, if that makes sense]
    - Awesome school culture

Cons- Burn-out is high due to long hours
    - Expectations on teachers are extremely high. This is a good thing; however, resources are low.
    -High teacher turn-over

Great mission Horrible leaders

Clerk (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosworking with amazing children and co workers

Conshorrible admin. no concern for the children their only concern is to protect Kipp Image Sunnyside campus is not the high school to place your children if you want your children to progress in life they are not preparing those children for real like nor college

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Kipp? Contribute to the Community!