Kipp Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014
3.1

Mike Feinberg

I have a great experience at KIPP during my Teach For America-2 Years, especially since this was my first year teaching.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Leadership at KIPP Chicago was very excellent.
    Summer Training is rigorous and you really get to dig into the meat of learning

Cons

Promotions: you must at least have 2 Years of experience to be a Lead Teacher.
    Spring Break: Vacations have very excellent perks working at KIPP

Great mission...

I worked at Kipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

KIPP has such a great culture and mission, that it makes you feel like you have a purpose.

Cons

When change needs to happen, there needs to be a more sense of urgency.

Changing lives

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Kipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The leadership is amazing. I feel there is always opportunities to become a better teacher at KIPP.

Cons

The long school days are probably the most challenging part of working for a charter school. We also have lots of profession development days.

Give us better pay and more time off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place~

I have been working at Kipp

Pros

Good job, kind of performance pay, opportunity for quick leadership, travel if you would like.

Cons

long hours, kids sometimes are difficult (that comes with any environment that one would teach in), administration at times, compensation

KIPP Houston lives up to it's mission: Closing the achievement gap by getting students to and through college.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Kipp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small schools allowing teachers to build strong relationships with students and stakeholders. Teachers are allowed to make decisions regarding classroom instruction.

Cons

The mission is powerful and the demand is great so at times, the time requirement is demanding and it is challenging to truly create a work life balance.

Justice Work? Not Really. KIPP is about resume building and propaganda.

Current Employee - High School Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Teacher

I have been working at Kipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a resume builder

Cons

The feedback I gave to KIPP national on my end-of-year survey:

Among the many issues I have with KIPP, I have a difficult time taking your "professional development" seriously after witnessing the obscene amount of money that was spent on "PD" in Vegas. As an educator, I was ashamed to work for KIPP after witnessing your extreme misallocation of funds. While hundreds of KIPP educators were staying in an extravagant hotel and receiving mediocre (at best) PD, students were preparing to come into a school that promised them a great education. Instead, they arrived at a school that lacked basic supplies--lexile-level-appropriate books, technology, educators with appropriate training, money for educator support (subs, paras, grading supports) etc. Our school has fewer resources than many, but no matter how well-resourced a KIPP school is, money should be preserved wherever possible and spent where it matters--directly on student needs and resources.

Furthermore, the KIPP Summit felt exploitive. Every few hours, a Black or Brown student would take the stage, smile and in various ways shout "college" to a sea of predominantly white educators who cried self-congratulatory, white-guilt tears. The entire scene was disturbing. If KIPP had merely taken away a cocktail hour or two and allowed that money to trickle down to my students' desks, we would be closer to closing the opportunity gaps that are so dear to your mission.

As you can see, I am angry. The summit set the tone for me, I was immediately suspicious of KIPPs motives. I have spent the year regretting working here for many reasons. I am angry because my morality and sense of justice are the foundations of my purpose for becoming an educator. I feel like KIPP misrepresented itself, and as a result, I took a position doing work in an organization that has a thin, glossy veneer of anti-opression politics, but ultimately perpetuates the same insidious oppression and racism that places a premium on "favorable" behavior and acculturation. It was my hope that I would be able to engage in the real work--shepherding young people toward independent thought and critical mindedness. Instead, I am an accomplice to further disadvantaging young people.

There is more I could say, and there is more that is being said by brilliant educators behind closed doors. But KIPP will not hear most of it because teachers without collective bargaining power fear that they will lose their jobs if they speak up on behalf of kids--on behalf of reality.

It is a shame. I'm sorry I gave a year to such a flawed system.

I do not leave because I lack skill, "grit", or even administrative recognition. I received very good observation feedback, scores and recommendations. KIPP loses teachers like me--teachers who believe in kids, have a strong work ethic, but are smart enough to realize the how unethical and damaging it is to place such a high premium on student behavior. The overemphasis on data and testing dehumanizes students and removes us from opportunities to educate students toward independence and critical thought. Advice? How about a morality makeover?

KIPP is a well-intentioned organization with a fantastic mission that sometimes lacks follow through on the details.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission and values (giving all students access to excellent education that will get them to and through college) are shared by all the teachers, creating a strong sense of community and fostering close relationships with coworkers. You are also given almost complete autonomy over your work, which has drawbacks and benefits.

Cons

The compensation, especially considering the work/life balance, is not great. The hours are already longer than a normal school day, and the lack of direction from administrators means you will spend even more time working off the clock to prepare. Some schools focus almost exclusively on raising test scores rather than holistic education.

Hard work, grow a lot.

Former Employee - Teacher and Administrator
    Former Employee - Teacher and Administrator

I worked at Kipp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to grow and advance quickly as you prove yourself.

Cons

Long hours and you have to be satisfied by the work itself, rather than extrinsic motivators.

Keep work on retaining teachers.

Great School! Be nice. Work hard.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Kipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students and teachers here are committed to educating students to be better people and better students. You need to be willing to work hard and you will be held accountable.

Cons

I have very few negative things to say about KIPP. I left the organization to further my education but for those who desire to grow internally there are plenty of options to move into leadership and/or become a better teacher.

Keep working hard and ensure that growth does not outpace capacity.

Culture is amazing, burnout is high.

I worked at Kipp

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Genuine leaders
    - Legitimate professional development
    - Student-centered
    - The model focuses on doing the best for students, yet working smart.
    - Innovative [Almost feels like working for the school version of Google, if that makes sense]
    - Awesome school culture

Cons

- Burn-out is high due to long hours
    - Expectations on teachers are extremely high. This is a good thing; however, resources are low.
    -High teacher turn-over

Worked for Kipp? Contribute to the Community!