Kipp

Mike Feinberg

An Organization with an Amazing Mission

Former Employee - Leadership in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Leadership in Houston, TX

I worked at Kipp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This network of public charter schools has a clear vision and mission to assure that underserved students are prepared for college and the world beyond. A sense of team and family is clear across the organization.

Cons

The long hours and extended school year can cause burnout. Young leadership can stifle continuous growth and/or forget time needed in the change process.

Keep the focus on strengthening relationships within schools just as it is clearly kept with students and families. Rethink the length of the school day and year to provide more down time for teachers and leaders.

Excellent colleagues, tough job

I have been working at Kipp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Other teachers are driven.
    - Upholding the KIPP mission of raising the bar for education for the lower income population is very real.
    - Development opportunities as a teacher within and outside the school.

Cons

- Not every school is the same, even under the KIPP umbrella.
    - The workload is hefty.
    - Reducing but high turnover due to burnout.

- One-on-ones are invaluable, two-way conversations.

Decent Company

I have been working at Kipp

Pros

Freedom to make a difference

Cons

Way to much office politics

Great place to get an inside look at the education world and the inner workings of charter schools

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Kipp as an intern

Pros

Great people-everyone there is dedicated to the mission and to the kids. Great, tight-knit culture.

Cons

As an intern, I mostly had administrative tasks and did not have work with children the way I was told I would be able to. Make sure you are pro-charter and your values align with the organization's as they don't take too kindly to those with differing opinions.

Keep doing what you're doing as it's clearly working for Kipp schools.

I have a great experience at KIPP during my Teach For America-2 Years, especially since this was my first year teaching.

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kipp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Leadership at KIPP Chicago was very excellent.
    Summer Training is rigorous and you really get to dig into the meat of learning

Cons

Promotions: you must at least have 2 Years of experience to be a Lead Teacher.
    Spring Break: Vacations have very excellent perks working at KIPP

Great mission...

I worked at Kipp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

KIPP has such a great culture and mission, that it makes you feel like you have a purpose.

Cons

When change needs to happen, there needs to be a more sense of urgency.

Changing lives

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Kipp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The leadership is amazing. I feel there is always opportunities to become a better teacher at KIPP.

Cons

The long school days are probably the most challenging part of working for a charter school. We also have lots of profession development days.

Give us better pay and more time off.

Good place~

I have been working at Kipp

Pros

Good job, kind of performance pay, opportunity for quick leadership, travel if you would like.

Cons

long hours, kids sometimes are difficult (that comes with any environment that one would teach in), administration at times, compensation

KIPP Houston lives up to it's mission: Closing the achievement gap by getting students to and through college.

Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Kipp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small schools allowing teachers to build strong relationships with students and stakeholders. Teachers are allowed to make decisions regarding classroom instruction.

Cons

The mission is powerful and the demand is great so at times, the time requirement is demanding and it is challenging to truly create a work life balance.

Justice Work? Not Really. KIPP is about resume building and propaganda.

Current Employee - High School Teacher
    Current Employee - High School Teacher

I have been working at Kipp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a resume builder

Cons

The feedback I gave to KIPP national on my end-of-year survey:

Among the many issues I have with KIPP, I have a difficult time taking your "professional development" seriously after witnessing the obscene amount of money that was spent on "PD" in Vegas. As an educator, I was ashamed to work for KIPP after witnessing your extreme misallocation of funds. While hundreds of KIPP educators were staying in an extravagant hotel and receiving mediocre (at best) PD, students were preparing to come into a school that promised them a great education. Instead, they arrived at a school that lacked basic supplies--lexile-level-appropriate books, technology, educators with appropriate training, money for educator support (subs, paras, grading supports) etc. Our school has fewer resources than many, but no matter how well-resourced a KIPP school is, money should be preserved wherever possible and spent where it matters--directly on student needs and resources.

Furthermore, the KIPP Summit felt exploitive. Every few hours, a Black or Brown student would take the stage, smile and in various ways shout "college" to a sea of predominantly white educators who cried self-congratulatory, white-guilt tears. The entire scene was disturbing. If KIPP had merely taken away a cocktail hour or two and allowed that money to trickle down to my students' desks, we would be closer to closing the opportunity gaps that are so dear to your mission.

As you can see, I am angry. The summit set the tone for me, I was immediately suspicious of KIPPs motives. I have spent the year regretting working here for many reasons. I am angry because my morality and sense of justice are the foundations of my purpose for becoming an educator. I feel like KIPP misrepresented itself, and as a result, I took a position doing work in an organization that has a thin, glossy veneer of anti-opression politics, but ultimately perpetuates the same insidious oppression and racism that places a premium on "favorable" behavior and acculturation. It was my hope that I would be able to engage in the real work--shepherding young people toward independent thought and critical mindedness. Instead, I am an accomplice to further disadvantaging young people.

There is more I could say, and there is more that is being said by brilliant educators behind closed doors. But KIPP will not hear most of it because teachers without collective bargaining power fear that they will lose their jobs if they speak up on behalf of kids--on behalf of reality.

It is a shame. I'm sorry I gave a year to such a flawed system.

I do not leave because I lack skill, "grit", or even administrative recognition. I received very good observation feedback, scores and recommendations. KIPP loses teachers like me--teachers who believe in kids, have a strong work ethic, but are smart enough to realize the how unethical and damaging it is to place such a high premium on student behavior. The overemphasis on data and testing dehumanizes students and removes us from opportunities to educate students toward independence and critical thought. Advice? How about a morality makeover?