www.kirby.com

The Best Opportunity in America today

Current Employee - Field Counselor in Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Field Counselor in Odessa, TX

I have been working at Kirby Company

Pros

You can truly earn what you are worth. Instead of saying that you're only worth $20/hr, you can EARN your money by working hard. I came to this company because I knew if I just followed the programs that made this company successful for 100 years, the programs must work. Along with my work ethic, my persistence to achieve my goals have carried me a long way in the business. After 5 months of reaching my sales goals, I was given the opportunity to open my own office. Imagine, with only $5000 and earned inventory, I'm able to start my own company with very little investment of my money or time (unlike the 4 years of college where I grew my debt to $60,000). This company is looking for those that want MORE than a job, for a chance. A chance to work hard and reap the rewards of that hard work.

Cons

It is a 6 day work week. In sales, the more time you put in, the better your odds are. I was lucky and had a good Factory Distributor that would understand about family time and my religious time as well. I can say that there was some drama here and there, but what business doesn't have any of that?? At times, I did find myself having to canvass door to door if my lead bank was running low for the telemarketers to set my appointments. Of course there are negatives with the opportunity, what job doesn't have negatives?? The biggest thing I can say that I didn't like was the fact that people recruited into the company never gave themselves a chance. New recruits try to figure everything out these days by researching on the internet about other peoples experience. That is much like asking the person that hates roller coasters if roller coasters are safe. Of course that person is going to say, "No, don't ever get on one!!!" Oh well

Definitely offer a base INCENTIVE, don't just give your hard earned money away. But definitely make the demo count a reasonable count for YOUR territory and make sure your Field Counselors and Dealer Counselors are doing their job of going and helping out the newbies!!!

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Administrative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Administrative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Kirby Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for overall. They do things for the employees that promote good work and achievement. You are able to leave work at work and everyone supports on another on and of the job.

Cons

There are some cliques among different departments but this is no big deal. If you are hired in as a temp, they may leave you as a temp for up to 2 years before they hire you on.

Keep up the good work

This is a horrible job

Former Employee - Dealer/Sales Associate in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Dealer/Sales Associate in Wayne, MI

I worked at Kirby Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

small chances of making "big" money

Cons

everything from the hours to the locations, the other associates, they put all the work on the dealers and then have a crew leader come in and mess up your sales. in a persons house making them do things to show of this machine. Telling small lies to get in the door, its hard work, long hours, no base pay...everything is on chance...and the pay is dishonest, not only that you spend the whole day either in a stinky dirty overcrowded van or out walking the streets, in bad unsafe areas too, in some cases the crew leaders leave the dealers area and aren't around for an hour, just horrible

change things before you hire more people

This is your warning

Former Contractor - Independent Agent in Painesville on-the-Lake, OH
    Former Contractor - Independent Agent in Painesville on-the-Lake, OH

I worked at Kirby Company as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You may be able to pass it off as a job on your resume

Cons

My spouse worked like a slave, made sales and were robbed of them with the use of tricks and lies

Karma will turn this around on you in a way you will not be able to change your business operation filing name and get out of punishment.

I have been working at Kirby Company

Pros

Awesome product and great employee's, company has been around 100 years. Good pay for hourly employee's.

Cons

Benefits could be better, no matching 401K. Lack of pay increases for salaried workers.

Terrible! Scams everyone, including employees!

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Mundelein, IL
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Mundelein, IL

I worked at Kirby Company as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The vacuum is awesome, that is about the only good thing about the company. If you want a good vacuum, get a Kirby. Don't work here though.

Cons

Everything! They scam customers. Manipulate employees, false advertising, screw employees out of pay. Its good for people who drop out of high school, don't care about people, and like to do drugs. They even tell you about how they do drugs and were dropouts.

Main company value is "Money buys Happiness".

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kirby Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bonuses are all-inclusive paid vacations.

Cons

They make the contract very attractive while you're signing it, but soon to find out you must work Monday-Saturday on 10+ hour shifts sitting in cigarette smoke infested vans- big creepy white vans, at that.
    The leadership is rude and degrading toward their employees and they break many laws on the job, including soliciting in neighborhoods after a certain time (sometimes until as late as 12am).
    There is no work-life balance, they expect you to spend every daylight hour, and then some, doing door-to-door sales.

To improve the horrendous office culture that promotes illegal drugs and activities.

Holiday season scam....kirby feeds on the needy and benifits from not paying "the hired" for there time.

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Danbury, CT
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Danbury, CT

I worked at Kirby Company as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None- just false promises...they scam you as they get you to scam there customers

Cons

Kirby sales managers have been trained to maniuplate and maneuver there responses to employment questions so they never have to tell you the truth. The truth is they put you to work with NO pay, by the time you catch on, you have already worked weeks for them without getting paid. They even go as far as placing babysitting ads in order to get any type of jobseeker in the door to run there scam on.

get some help, it takes a real low "type" of person to lie to and manipulate those in need of jobs especially in this ecomony.

Stay away!! Do not work for this company, especially if you are desperate for a job because they will take advantage!!

Current Employee - Door-to-door/Demonstrations in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Door-to-door/Demonstrations in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Kirby Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Do NOT, do NOT work here!!

Cons

This is for Redmond, WA and Auburn, WA...Dont work here!! You work your butt off 15-16 hours a day, six days a week, and they dont pay you!!!! They give you excuse, after excuse, after excuse. Shady company!! They dont even have you fill out a W4 ? Why? So they dont have to pay you! They take advantage of their employees....they tell them how awesome they are and what a good job they are doing just to keep them as their workhorse to make money for the company but in the end they dont pay you !!! Stay away !!!

Close your company!!

Great For Learning.

Former Employee - Vacuum Salesman in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Vacuum Salesman in Tyler, TX

I worked at Kirby Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can learn so much about almost anything in a short period of time. I was only there for 5 months but feels like i took a entire course of business and economy, while getting paid.

Cons

it is door to door so your out in the weather a lot. And also no stable pay structure.

Add a base pay.