Kirkland's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kirkland's CEO and Director Robert E. Alderson

Robert E. Alderson

Pros
  • The employee perks are great, specifically the 20% employee discount(in 10 reviews)

• I had friendly co workers who were easy to work with(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • District manager does not hold people accountable at any level(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not care about the store employees(in 10 reviews)

Fantastic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, Product was amzing

ConsCalifornia labor laws need to know them

No work / life balance.

ProsDiscount is very good for managers.

ConsManagement typically works over 50 hours. Unrealistic expectations for amount of work vs. Payroll. Manager expected to pick up where payroll ends. No work/ life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work load is unrealistic for the management. They run the business as is it is a large company with the payroll to match.

Micro Manage Much?

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey at least attempted to have a good structure. The pay was decent, didn't really equal the demands but there are worse. They provided good training for new hires.something you do not see much of anymore.

ConsMicro managing area manager, cult environment, unrealistic demands. They preach quality of life but you need to work 60 hours just to get stuff done that they expect to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff more. Have more aggressive pay increases for longevity. Follow up on the DM's a little better to mKe sure they are doing their jobs. I saw mine maybe twice the whole two years I worked there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overwhelming

Third Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun environment, friendly staff. Usual mix of retail customers being mostly pleasant. Always changing, fast paced environment. New merchandise weekly. Store discount.

ConsOut of touch upper management. Not interested in genuine feedback on day to day operations a just get it done, no matter how impossible attitude. Expectations are difficult to keep up with as payroll (especially management) is kept to a minimum, often creating a dangerous environment in the stock room as well as sales floor. Nearly impossible to keep the customer first with the amount of tasks a staff of often times only 2 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Most are passionate about the job but are quickly overwhelmed by it. Staff the store appropriately to make sales goals AND clean the store AND properly merchandise AND carry out the daily task list and so on and so on and so on...

Horrible

Cashier/Stock/Sales (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsYou will meet good people (customers) while working there.

ConsLow pay, horrible hours (10-15) hours per week. store management will take you off the schedule sometimes if he feels a personal way about you & will replace you without notice. Most of the managers takes everything personal, if their outside life isnt going well they will bring there problems to work and take it out on you. They make cashiers do all of the labor. On truck days they expect so much but we are only getting paid so little. They wont give you raises either, ive been there for 3 years, still making a couple of cents from what i started from.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking personal issues to work. Train your management better to follow instructions correctly by store codes. Start praising your cashiers than treating them like they are nothing. Give us raises!!

Sadly not what I had hoped it to be. Impossible workload, very little support, poor leadership.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsKirkland's seems to be trying to do the right thing in some areas. I worked with enthusiastic, hardworking people. Most of the customers were pleasant and the merchandise was fun and seemed to keep up with current trends in decorating and pop culture. I really enjoyed the people in my store and hated to leave them. They were a wonderful group of people who did everything they possibly could to be successful in a very difficult situation. Group Manager was friendly and enthusiastic when I met him. That was definitely a positive.

ConsWe had poor leadership on a District level. Demeaning people, sarcasm and cruelty do not go a long way in generating excitement and loyalty from your team. My store team members were described as worthless, even though they had gone to great lengths to run a good store. I worked an average of 55 to 60 hours a week but even that was not enough. Good safety policies were non-existent. We had no sensible and attainable processes in place for the day-to-day business to run smoothly. Only two people working at a time in a large store cannot possible get an ad set, pull furniture from the back, push freight, zone and maintain any semblance of good customer service. It's very difficult to be in a new role and have no support from peers. Maybe some sort of mentoring program would be helpful. The most help I received was from a store manager in another state that I met while training. My own district was not a safe place for a new employee. There was a lot of jealousy, gossip, criticism and complaining. Unfortunately, there was not much guidance, support or kindness. Very, very difficult environment, especially as the district manager seemed to revel in it. I came from another retailer that worked employees very hard but we never were demeaned or treated with such disdain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is for regional management or their representatives to go into the stores and speak to people. Find out what is really happening on a district level. Ask about safety and processes. Safety is an area that requires immediate attention. Ask questions of your team members, store managers and assistant managers. Ask for honesty from them without fear of repercussions. You have lost professional and talented people because of the issues above. You could be a great company to work for. Please step back and consider what people are telling you about why they left your company. I don't think these are the values that Kirkland's was founded on and aspires to.

Good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Peachtree City, GA

ProsAppears to be a fairly good company to work for.

ConsNone, that I know of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

fun place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

Prosgood discounts....good co workers..good managers

Conslow pay,,no benefits and ,little advancements so if you want a career its not easy for upeer management

Advice to Senior Managementif you give more hours you wouldnt loose good people,, offer benefits

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount is decent, varies depending on level of job position

ConsStore manager was horrible to work for. Hateful, arrogant, threatening, fake, dishonest, fixed schedule to suit their needs and did not meet company standards. Backstabbing among employees, dishonest employees, even when reported nothing was done about it. Constant movement of product to the point it was ridiculous! Unloading all merchandise into the store including very heavy furniture, mirrors and art. Truck unloading was done in extreme heat and cold without breaks, fans, or drinks. Pay scale is not comparable to the work needing to be done and expectations are unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to be increased. Upper management needs to take into consideration of complaints and follow through. Trucks should be unloaded by a separate team and not employees who need to work the floor. Store management needs to be held accountable for their actions. Way too many ad changes for one day, two day and three day weekend sales. Make sure proper training is being completed on ALL levels of employment not just what the store manager THINKS is ok. Associate confidentiality is not protected.

Work done DOES NOT equal the LOUSY pay!Slave labor. emptying truck before dawn (4am) for $8.50 an hour.

ProsFlexibility, because management did not want to fire anyone because no one wanted to work there when they found out pay & what work that little pay entails.

ConsEVERYTHING! no incentives when you sell their credit cards or rewards club. no rewards for employees. employee discount is terrible. Loss prevention watches us like we are criminals. can't combine coupons if you are a credit card holder with employee discount. VERY UNFAIR WORK PRACTICES.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your pay & turnover will not be so high. Offer raises. Was with store for almost 2 years & no raise. if you are a 'Christian' based company then be Christ like & offer a liveable wage especially for emptying a truck of sometimes 800 boxes that could weigh at the least 10 lbs & the most 50 lbs. Doing this in rain & snow AT 4 AM is DANGEROUS!

Worked for Kirkland's? Contribute to the Community!