Kirkland's

Updated August 19, 2014

2.3

Kirkland's CEO and Director Robert E. Alderson
Robert E. Alderson

Pros
  • The employee perks are great, specifically the 20% employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• I had friendly co workers who were easy to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not care about the store employees (in 11 reviews)

• District manager does not hold people accountable at any level (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very friendly co-workers, awful Management

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock/Sales in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Work-life balance
    Very friendly co-workers
    Company cares about you

Cons

The store manager is very rude.

Team Member

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Employees are able to wear casual clothing with tennis shoes, they are usually able to give you a flexible schedule, and they offer on-going good training. Co-workers are friendly and the stores smell wonderful-- unless you have allergies.

Cons

I feel that they have low starting pay, coupled with small raises. Their new employee on-line application and testing process is quite tedious.

Loved this job

Current Employee - Third Assistant Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Third Assistant Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Great chance for advancement. Focus on customer service and rewards toward great team members who work hard for the company.

Cons

Not guaranteed an pay increase. Pays minimum wage without care of the cost of living. Does not pay extra for shifts involving living 100 pound items off of semi trucks.

Pay your employees better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lazy Lazy Lazy

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Great company as far as debt to income ratio. Easy retail.Very simple store to run. Great customer base.

Cons

Kirkland's is a weak company when it comes to correcting institutional failures. They allow their stores to suffer loss of revenue because they are scared to fire the individuals who just want to come in to work and hang out and stare at their phone. Productivity is low and not a lot of personal input and face to face conversations from upper management. Slow to resolve issues and conflicts within the workplace. Not enough designated hours to help store perform at it's highest rate. Lazy group of individuals who work for this company. If you're looking to for work after retirement and don't require a lot of physical and brain activity, this is the job for you.

Involvement with store managers in a more direct way would resolve a lot of issues. Don't be so "lax" about letting your store managers do what they want within their store. Too much sitting in the office and not showing up for work occurs way too often.

think twice!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager Third Key  in  Peachtree City, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager Third Key in Peachtree City, GA

Pros

company parties, great discount, always get breaks, get to wear apron makes it easy to get ready

Cons

not enough pay, have to unload the semi truck, part time employees can only work like 23 hours

Overworked

Pros

Customer base is very friendly, product is low price and great for just starting out, fellow employees are a great team.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of work, payroll is at an all time minium, added on tasks and directives during work week with no adjustments to schedule allowed, upper management is out of touch with the workload at the store level.

Overworked and stressed managers do not make for great team leaders. They need to re-visit their levels of management. The expectations on the SM and Sr.asm as the only full time employees is unrealistic. They basically have the stores being run by hourly employees that only get 15 hours a week. Do you really think 15 hours a week at minimum wage promotes a caring and responsible attitude? Step out of the corporate world and visit reality.

Tiring, Overwhelming, Not Satisfying

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Member in Denver, CO

Pros

The co-workers are awesome! They're friendly and funny people to work with. The customers aren't bad, they usually know what they come in for, and are easy to work with. The store always smells good and you come home smelling good. They usually understand scheduling needs.

Cons

The store manager is condescending. It is a very micro-managed place. I felt very unprepared for the job with the horrible training presentations. I worked 4 shifts in the past 2 weeks while other coworkers work nearly every day. I have been apologized FOR to customers who don't seem upset and usually understand.
     I've been closing in my last few times I've worked here and we are NEVER out in time. Only one other manager finds the importance in getting out at 10. Two people for closing is a horrible idea. I'm the only one who does the actual closing list, and I find most times I can't get everything done.
     I feel constantly overwhelmed and that I never have enough time in the world. I have found myself, I kid you not, crying while coming to work. I've never felt so under-appreciated and so watched in my life. The pay isn't awful, but it's slightly insulting to how much a team member does.
     The constant moving of products is horrible. Not only have I tried to take a customer to where a product WAS to find out that it was moved, again, but constantly having to keep up with where everything is is a total waste of time. The backroom is overwhelmingly full with products that no one purchases.
     I come home feeling like I was hit by a bus. The best time of work is leaving.

Appreciate your workers. Let more than 2 people work a closing shift when one of them is new (me), because I had no idea what I was doing the first time I closed.

Miserable place to work

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager  in  Clarksville, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Clarksville, IN

Pros

Decent discount. Some associates were nice and hard working. Too much gossip especially by store manager. Grow up!

Cons

Cheap china crap that falls apart or breaks. You get what you pay for.

Lose your attitude and TRAIN people!! You can't expect results if you don't teach people how to do their job correctly.

Worst Place Ever!

Pros

The merchandise is reasonably priced but it's also cheaply made and the lamps fall apart and the furniture is junk.

Cons

Cheaply made furniture, the district manager does not support anyone, they do not care about employees, too much work to do and they expect you to have it done, you get treated like a prisoner. Honestly the company is a JOKE.

TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES WITH RESPECT AND PAY THEM MORE! WAY TOO MUCH WORK FOR LITTLE PAY. ACTUALLY WAY TOO MUCH WORK PERIOD! EMPLOYEES WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF TO GET TREATED LIKE CRAP! It's ridiculous

Horrible company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kokomo, IN

Pros

The employee discount
    Is nice, cheap prices

Cons

All task driven, no support from upper management, treats employees like thieves

No support, sucks

Worked for Kirkland's? Contribute to the Community!